LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 328 users in the forums

Was Deion as a Falcon ever hated like Sherman was? Would you ever accept Sherman as a 9er?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
The Falcons were a sliver in our sides at worst. The nfcw really was the Niners and not much else for a 10-15 year period there. Deion was good, but not an ass.

I will never accept Sherman as a Niner. Don't care how good he is/becomes. Hate that guy and would spit in his hand rather than shake it.

Amen!

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
well, it begs the question: if dick sherman ever signed w/ the Niners and did the same thing, picking off RW & returning it for 6, while also taunting the seabags' sideline and shutting up the "12th man"... would he be cool then?

No. Thank you. Bye.

He's an a*****e because he's a Seahawk but if he was a Niner I'd f**king love him! He's elite and bright.
Deion was all about bling but the guy was cool. Sherman comes off as a thug. Deion didn't have to physically try to intimidate a receiver, that wasn't his game, he was faster and quicker than any receiver. With Deion and Ricky Watters leaving the franchise at the same time the team never recovered. Deion was the best shutdown corner I've ever seen.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Showboating, self-satisfaction, and demeaning your opponent are never admirable qualities. No one outside of Atlanta liked Deion. And no one inside of Atlanta liked Deion half as much as Deion liked Deion.

The difference is that 49er fans never considered the Falcons a rival in those days. We beat them year in and year out, and they only had one winning season while Sanders was there. So Deion was just some arrogant douche on a team that didn't matter. The Seahawks are a different story. They're legit, and they'll be our rivals for years to come. So, Sherman gets under your skin a little more.

+1

This was almost word for word what I was going to write.
Deion never made me want to push his face through the back of his head. If I ever ran into Sherman, I would be very tempted to give him a beatdown...Memphis style.
Deion was a stud and he got love league wide. People were tying their doorags on under their cap like he was and high stepping into the end zone just like he was. Everyone wanted him on their team and there was no doubt that he was a showman and THE elite CB in this league. As for Sherman, his talk doesn't match his athleticism. Sherman is good but he is no Deion and he plays in a system and on a team that accentuates his positives greatly. For instance Deion could go to any team and any system and do what he did: shut down the entire half of the field he played on. Deion was once asked (what type of defense were you guys in?) and he replied "the CAT defense. I got this cat, you get that cat". LOL!! Sometimes he didn't even go to the huddle for defensive calls. He would just wander over to his side of the field and lock onto his receiver with an eye on his guy and the QB while the TEAM was in the huddle and when the QB did foolishly decide to throw the ball his way he always figured that that ball was intended for him and when he picked it he took it to the house. The guy was unbelievable and was worth every penny. Sherman is not that good and I believe that he is system dependent and benefits greatly from the talent around him but he is a great player for SEA
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:45 AM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Chico:
Deion was just a show boater, flashy, cocky but he backed it up on the field. I don't recall him getting in someones face after he won the game. The one thing i liked about Deion is that when he did join the 49ers, he kept it quiet and played lights out!

So...I hated Deion as a competitor but liked having him on our team.

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Bo vs. Deion.
Did you guys hear the GOAT on NFL network the other day. He basically said he pwned Deoin when they played (which is true!) and then a fan posted a question, "Would Dick Sherman be able to stop you in your prime?" He immediately said "Hell No". He said he'd have 4 or 5 moves for Dick and that he relished defeating bump and run coverage. Oh yeah the GOAT baby!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Did you guys hear the GOAT on NFL network the other day. He basically said he pwned Deoin when they played (which is true!) and then a fan posted a question, "Would Dick Sherman be able to stop you in your prime?" He immediately said "Hell No". He said he'd have 4 or 5 moves for Dick and that he relished defeating bump and run coverage. Oh yeah the GOAT baby!

The GOAT, as far as I can remember, was the only dude that consistently gave Prime fits.

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:

He's an a*****e because he's a Seahawk but if he was a Niner I'd f**king love him! He's elite and bright.
Look, we took Deion Sanders and like it or not did it from a rival. If we could, we would sign Sherman and love his ass in the process. The legacy of modern football is robbing talent from other teams to fuel rivalries. Just examine the 49ers and Cowboys in the 90s.
NEver hated Deon because Jerry owned him. Loved having him on the team. As for Sherman I want to hate, but then I see him dancing with the cheerleaders and I'm like. OK can't hate on that.
Originally posted by fropwns:

The GOAT, as far as I can remember, was the only dude that consistently gave Prime fits.

Remember in 95 we went to dallas with Grbac as our QB, we were short handed and everyone said we were going to get our asses handed to us? ...but Jerry stepped it up, Deion or the other cowboy db's couldnt stick with Jerry, and we put them away hard in the first half? .....great F'N Memory
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Niners4ever:
Originally posted by susweel:
Deion was not as douchy as sherman, Deion was more entertaining he wasn't disrespectful to his opponents.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Deion was as much entertainment as he was a football player.

+1. I hated Deion's talking, but it was just shameless self-promotion. Sherman is insulting and instigating all day, even when he gets beat deep.

Yeah like how he clapped when Crabtree caught a ball on him and like how he was still talking s**t when Roddy White beat him deep in the playoff game last year.

The difference between the two is Deion was more playful and not nearly as douchey as someone already mentioned. Also, Deion was actually good. Sherman is just good because he holds every play lol.
Originally posted by fropwns:

Lol Richard Sherman would have NONE chance against Jerry Rice. He would really have to hold on to Jerry. Sherman would be clapping about 15 times after getting beat by Jerry.
Share 49ersWebzone