There are 135 users in the forums

Was Deion as a Falcon ever hated like Sherman was? Would you ever accept Sherman as a 9er?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I hated Deion when he was with the Falcons. But it wasn't to the degree that I hate Sherman. Deion was entertaining, flashy and cocky but he never disrespected his opponent.I couldn't stand Deion when he left the 49ers and signed with the Cowboys. But even then I still hate Sherman more than I ever did Deion. I don't know how I would feel if he ever became a Niner.
Loved Deion

in my Berman voice..Prime Time ..Prime Time
Yes!
Originally posted by Chico:
The one thing i liked about Deion is that when he did join the 49ers, he kept it quiet and played lights out!
George and the staff kept him on a very tight and short leash.
That's why he left so quickly and has stated he did not like it in SF. He said he has never worn the Ring he got when he played with us.
He was dominant, but I can't stand the guy. He was a perfect fit for Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer and the Cowboys.
Trash.
I don't understand how anyone can say that "Neon Deion" wasn't disrespectful.

Every time he picked off a pass or got a TD he would clown the guys trying to catch him with that stupid foot drag and hand wave.

He didn't get in people's faces because he is a pretty much a sissy. That ridiculous slap fight with Andre Rison tells you all you need to know about the size of his balls.
Originally posted by RogueStout:
I don't understand how anyone can say that "Neon Deion" wasn't disrespectful.

Every time he picked off a pass or got a TD he would clown the guys trying to catch him with that stupid foot drag and hand wave.

He didn't get in people's faces because he is a pretty much a sissy. That ridiculous slap fight with Andre Rison tells you all you need to know about the size of his balls.

He was a great player but I agree somewhat with the sissy part by way of one of my friends here in DAL
I hated Deion when he left us for the Cowboys, but not NEAR as badly as I hate Sherman. I hated the Cowboys just about equally as I hate Seattle now so the teams they are on isn't how much I hate the individual. I know the original post was more about the Atlanta version of Deion, but for fairness I am going to compare the Cowboys version of him. Atlanta was not a true rival, but Dallas was at that point like Seattle is now.

Deion was very arrogant, but there is going to be a natural arrogance with literally being the best pure athlete in the world at a given time and knowing that you are. It was easier to understand. More importantly, Deion seemed to grasp that although he was the best cover corner ever, he was just an athlete that was blessed with tremendous abilities. His celebrations were fun, and not direct attacks at his opponents. He played to excite, entertain, and win. I hated him, but it was mostly because he was so good and I wanted him to stay with us.

Sherman is a different animal. He is nowhere near the athlete Deion was. He must hold and illegally contact receivers to be effective. The PED thing is not a big issue for me, the cheating on the field in plain view with the refs turning a blind eye is definitely frustrating, and part of the reason I didn't like him from the start. But hey, if the refs are going to call it then he might as well do it. The real problem I have with Sherman is that is he runs on pure hate and cannot turn that off after the game. The incident with Trent Williams showed a lack of class that is rare even among knucklehead football players. Once they have won the game, even the biggest scumbags are so ecstatic they've won that they manage to get off the field without incident. Sherman feels the need to continue to run his mouth to opponents who are already mentally beaten down. Seemingly everyone gets that the trash talk stops when the game ends, but not Sherman. Kicking someone who is down is something he's done several times in his career. His overly aggressive and personal attack on Skip Bayless was way "over the line" that only the most classless people in the world know not to cross. Sure, Bayless is a douche, but in no way does that excuse "I'm better than you in life" type of personal attacks. I do not care for Tom Brady either, but the "U mad bro?" was absolutely classless. Yes, he's mad, he lost, so stop rubbing salt in the wound needlessly. Sherman routinely brings a machine gun to fist fights, and despite his charity work the level of disdain he has for anyone with a different perspective than him is simply unforgivable. A Stanford educated thug is more disgusting than a thug who grew up in the streets where this type of behavior is par for the course.

In short, Deion knew he was just a football player that was having fun playing and entertaining the fans. He understood that as great as he was, he was just an athlete and treated other people with a reasonable level of respect, especially after the game. Sherman thinks he is a better human being than the rest of us, and that because he is bright and talented, he is allowed to humiliate any opposition to his extremely high opinion of himself. He treats people poorly when it does not benefit him, and wants to bring others down without reason - a character trait of psychopaths. I know there are some very positive things he does as well, but he undoes most or all of the good with uninspired, unwarranted belligerence. Personally, I hate him like I've hated no other athlete ever.
[ Edited by bpg4980 on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Did you guys hear the GOAT on NFL network the other day. He basically said he pwned Deoin when they played (which is true!) and then a fan posted a question, "Would Dick Sherman be able to stop you in your prime?" He immediately said "Hell No". He said he'd have 4 or 5 moves for Dick and that he relished defeating bump and run coverage. Oh yeah the GOAT baby!

The GOAT, as far as I can remember, was the only dude that consistently gave Prime fits.

Lol Richard Sherman would have NONE chance against Jerry Rice. He would really have to hold on to Jerry. Sherman would be clapping about 15 times after getting beat by Jerry.

I loved that Jerry answered that question with no hesitation or any doubt whatsoever.
I guess I'm alone. I hated Deion more. Maybe because I haven't watched Sherman's antics closely (they bore me). You also have to factor in he helped us win a SB. He was such an incredible athlete. Starring in baseball also. When is that likely to occur again, if ever?

And now on TV, he has matured so much, I really really like him. But, hated hated hated him for years (except with Niners he got one year of love).

To sum. Hated Deion more and respected more. Sherman was not the same talent but comes with a much bigger mouth.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
But, hated hated hated him for years (except with Niners he got one year of love).
Exactly how I felt.

Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Did you guys hear the GOAT on NFL network the other day. He basically said he pwned Deoin when they played (which is true!) and then a fan posted a question, "Would Dick Sherman be able to stop you in your prime?" He immediately said "Hell No". He said he'd have 4 or 5 moves for Dick and that he relished defeating bump and run coverage. Oh yeah the GOAT baby!

The GOAT, as far as I can remember, was the only dude that consistently gave Prime fits.

Lol Richard Sherman would have NONE chance against Jerry Rice. He would really have to hold on to Jerry. Sherman would be clapping about 15 times after getting beat by Jerry.

I loved that Jerry answered that question with no hesitation or any doubt whatsoever.

Can someone post the link to Jerry saying that?

Best I can do...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000277390/Rice-not-worried-about-his-records

Best I can do...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000277390/Rice-not-worried-about-his-records

Thanks. That was truly good stuff. If Jerry took it to Deion Sanders, imagine how bad he would have abused Dick Sherman.
Thanks. That was truly good stuff. If Jerry took it to Deion Sanders, imagine how bad he would have abused Dick Sherman.

It would look like this...

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Remember in 95 we went to dallas with Grbac as our QB, we were short handed and everyone said we were going to get our asses handed to us? ...but Jerry stepped it up, Deion or the other cowboy db's couldnt stick with Jerry, and we put them away hard in the first half? .....great F'N Memory

Dude -- Irvin and Deion were literally teasing Rice about his looks, saying he looked like a "Clown" and yeah that they were going to pwn us so bad. Hahahahaha, too bad GB spanked us in the playoffs :(
Share 49ersWebzone