There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Brady wins next SuperBowl & MVP, will he be considered as great if not better than

If Brady wins next SuperBowl & MVP, will he be considered as great if not better than

The times the Pats won it all, it was because of the defense, not Brady.
It's already been said, but yeah a legacy born from the tuck rule, built by game winning field goal drives, amassing record breaking stats in an era where you can't even touch a receiver after 5 yards (more strictly enforced after 2003 after the pats of all teams roughed up the colts receivers in the playoffs) and other rules protecting the qb such as intentional grounding no longer being called outside of the tackle box in 1993. Two great quarterbacks in their respective eras...but Tom Brady would have a hard time surviving in Montana's era.
Big difference to me is that Montana led Super Bowl winning TD drives, Brady led Super Bowl drives that led to game winning field goals. Adam Vinatieri had alot to do with those wins. Also, rules are much more in favor of the offenses now. You could beat the crap out of WRs and QBs back then. Now you can't touch them.
Lets compare the QB's in the SB...

Montana-

1981: 14-22, 1 TD, 0 INT, 100.0 qb rating, 157 yds
1984: 24-35, 3 TD, 0 INT, 127.2 qb rating, 331 yds
1988: 23-36, 2 TD, 0 INT, 115.2 qb rating, 357 yds
1989: 22-29, 5 TD, 0 INT, 147.6 qb rating, 297 yds

so all total Montana was 83-122 (68.0% comp.) with 11 TD, 0 INT, averaged 286 yds per game, and a 127.8 passer rating. he was 4-0 in the SB all time. won his 4 SB's by a margin of 139 to 63.

Brady-

2001: 16-27, 1 TD, 0 INT, 86.2 qb rating, 145 yds
2003: 32-48, 3 TD, 1 INT, 100.5 qb rating, 354 yds
2004: 23-22, 2 TD, 0 INT, 110.2 qb rating, 236 yds
2007: 29-48, 1 TD, 0 INT, 82.5 qb rating, 266 yds

total of 100-145 (64.0% comp.), 7 TD, 1 INT, 94.9 qb rating, 250 yds average. Hes 3-1 in the SB, and of his 3 wins, the margin of victory was 76-67. He needed his kicker for all 3 wins.

Montana had a higher comp.%, a better overall record, threw for more yds, more TD's, made less mistakes, and his qb rating was about 32 PTS HIGHER! and Montana sat out most of the 4th quarter in 89 because it was such a blowout.

Anyone who would rather have Brady over Montana is a fool. Brady plays well enough for his team to win, but Montana took the biggest games of his life by the throat and won them for his team.

Its not even a contest as far as im concerned. Brady threw a pick, Montana never did. Brady lost a SB, Montana never did. Joe Montana pretty much pitched a perfect game in his SB career, and Brady didnt. If you want to compare regular season stats, talk to Dan Marino about how much that all meant to him at the end of the day when he retired with no rings.

Montana is the greatest no matter what Brady does next Sunday.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM ]
Montana never lost in a superbow. In fact, the 49ers never lost in a superbowl. Can brady or the patriots say claim the same thing?
And when the patriots did win the superbowl, it was never a blowout. Weren't most of the games won by a field goal? But when they lost, he lost decidedly.
Originally posted by andes14:
The times the Pats won it all, it was because of the video of opposing defenses and their signals, not Brady.

Fixed.
I think players back in Montana's day werent as good as the ones playing the game now.. Back then the game was alot slower imo... now adays they just have so much equipment/boosts/technology, where we are making supermen in football... i think Brady surpasses Montana already.. Pass happy league w/e, thats irrelevant.. league was run happy back then and those records are being broken by the RB's of todays era... Sorry. i love my 49ers but Brady is better
if kobe bryant gets that 6th title, will he be in jordans class? in my mind no cus hes lost 2 additional nba finals, for me the same logic applies to brady, tying montana and bradshaw at 4, while impressive, doesnt put him in their class cus of his previous loss. theres something to be said for being perfect.
Is this question seriously going to be asked every single time Brady has a chance to win the Super Bowl?

He lost in the Super Bowl. Joe never embarrassed himself by doing so.

If you're not just judging by SB victories, Brady isn't even as good as Peyton Manning. If Manning had Brady's defenses, he'd probably have 5 rings by now. And don't bother saying Brady had nobody to throw to because Peyton can make random targets become playmakers (Garcon, Collie - who?).
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Is this question seriously going to be asked every single time Brady has a chance to win the Super Bowl?

He lost in the Super Bowl. Joe never embarrassed himself by doing so.

If you're not just judging by SB victories, Brady isn't even as good as Peyton Manning. If Manning had Brady's defenses, he'd probably have 5 rings by now. And don't bother saying Brady had nobody to throw to because Peyton can make random targets become playmakers (Garcon, Collie - who?).

I agree with everything you said except that last sentence. Manning was in the super bowl with Marvin Harrison(likely hall of famer) and Reggie Wayne. Those 2 alone are 50 times better than the offensive talent Brady has had to work with. And of course the question will be asked b/c that would put him a class with only 2 other quarterbacks. Now once inside that discussion between those 3 Montana stands alone, but Brady's in the discussion.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I agree with everything you said except that last sentence. Manning was in the super bowl with Marvin Harrison(likely hall of famer) and Reggie Wayne. Those 2 alone are 50 times better than the offensive talent Brady has had to work with. And of course the question will be asked b/c that would put him a class with only 2 other quarterbacks. Now once inside that discussion between those 3 Montana stands alone, but Brady's in the discussion.

The fact that he had Wayne and Harrison when he won the Super Bowl does not change the fact he produces even without them. Who is Pierre Garcon or Austin Collie? Hell, even Dallas Clark wouldn't be what he is without Peyton Manning. Peyton does it with or without big names like Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The fact that he had Wayne and Harrison when he won the Super Bowl does not change the fact he produces even without them. Who is Pierre Garcon or Austin Collie? Hell, even Dallas Clark wouldn't be what he is without Peyton Manning. Peyton does it with or without big names like Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison.

Thats also why the Colts - Manning = Instant Fail. Never build a team off of just 1 player.


The discussion of Brady vs. Montana really is kicking a dead horse they don't compare, 2 totally different eras of football, Brady would not be who he is considered to be had he played in the 80's with the players playing alot more freely with more football and a lot less 2 hand touch.
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
So by that rationale



if Eli wins,
he's better than Peyton?

look at their playoff records I mean it shows Eli has performed better than Peyton, if he wins the Super Bowl (which I think they will) I think he will be better than Peyton and Eli's just entering his prime.

The Pats are going to destroy the Giants.

How do you know that? the Pats can't stop anyone on defense, their secondary is awful and could be torn apart by Eli Manning especially since they aren't good at rushing the passer. Eli Manning threw for over 300 yards and 2 TDs against us, and we have a defense light years better than the Patriots. The Niners put Manning on his back numerous times, I doubt the Patriots do anything like we did to him. I could see the Giants' defense frustrating Brady he didn't have his best game last week against the Ravens, I think Brady will get hit quite a bit in this game.


Gronkowski is also hurt pretty bad.
Unfortunately, if he wins the game and MVP he'll be considered a better QB than Joe Montana.
5 Super Bowls. 4 Super Bowl wins. He's at least as good easily. Undefeated season too. Lost the big one. But went undefeated. He's had a lot of help IMO. A lot of great players around him over the years on defense and offense. He sure hasn't had bad teams.