There are 196 users in the forums

If Brady wins next SuperBowl & MVP, will he be considered as great if not better than

Shop 49ers game tickets

If Brady wins next SuperBowl & MVP, will he be considered as great if not better than

No....different era of football, plus this fool got too many rules made because of him....he's good but not great like an Elway, Montana, Marino etc...
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I couldnt care less about how people compare Brady to Montana. Different eras and both are HOF QBS. All I care about is the # of SB wins the Niners have. Everything else is just one person's opinion compared to anothers.
This ^
Originally posted by kronik:
Where's the vote for luckiest damn QB/team ever ?

Tuck rule and now this Ravens breakdown. And many lucky last sec. FG wins
This also ^
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
he is already considered better than Montana by most media
My hope for the SB. Brady suffers a Theisman type of injury within the first 10 minutes and the Pats win 6 - 3.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
My hope for the SB. Brady suffers a Theisman type of injury within the first 10 minutes and the Pats win 6 - 3.

why would you really wish that on someone? I hope this is a joke. Just a game fellas... Just a game.
When looking at the two eras they played in, I still give Joe the edge. He didn't have the luxury of other team being penalized every time he needed a break. Brady's a good QB no doubt, and easily HOF worthy. But he's been coddled his entire career as well. No hate towards him, but those are the facts.
To the media, he is waaaaaaayyyyy beetter than joe.

to skip bayless, he waaayyyyyy beyond better than joe.
If Joe Montana played in todays NFL (where the rules protect the QB, and makes it almost impossible to play defense), Joe's numbers would be exponentially better. If Tom Brady played when Joe played, his numbers would be exponentially worse.

Its all about time periods. This era's QBs have it WAY easier. Thats why its so infuriating to see how inept our passing offense is every year (yes, including 2011).
He's getting dangerously close

i have one word... different era's (i can't count) you can't compare the two because of era's and rule changes you can't say one is better than the other which brings up another topic why not seperate records to before all these passer friendly changes and after all these changes (especially the amount of games played [i'm looking at you randy moss])
i have one word... different era's (i can't count) you can't compare the two because of era's and rule changes you can't say one is better than the other which brings up another topic why not seperate records to before all these passer friendly changes and after all these changes (especially the amount of games played [i'm looking at you randy moss])
I'd have a hard time picking between the two
Joe Montana is the greatest QB of all time. There seems to be this idea that Montana's teams were stacked and Brady was out there playing with a bunch of scrubs. But the teams were actually built quite similarly during their runs and had the same level of talent on defense:

There are 4 hall of famers from the 80s 49ers teams (I don't count Steve Young because they cancel each other out - when Joe played, Steve wasn't helping the team win): Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Fred Dean, and Joe Montana.

Joe won 2 SBs without Rice and 3 without Dent.

Tom Brady's teams of the 2000s will likely foster 3-6 HOF players: Teddy Bruschi, Adam Vinatieri, Junior Seau, Randy Moss, Rodney Harrison, and Tom Brady.

Tom lost a SB with Moss. Tom has not won a SB without Vinatieri or Bruschi. .

You cannot say that Joe had more all around talent than Tom had on his teams that went to the SB. Tom's teams have been stacked - on defense.

2001: Patriots Defense ranked 6th in points allowed and had Lawyer Milloy, Mike Vrabel, Teddy Bruschi, Richard Seymour, Willie McGinest, and Ty Law.
The RB Antoine Smith had 1200 yards and 12 TDs.

2003: Patriots Defense ranked 1st in points allowed and added Rodney Harrison, Asante Samuel, and Ted Washington.
Brady threw for 23 TDs and 12 INTs in the regular season.

2004: Patriots Defense ranked 2nd in points allowed and added Vince Wilfork
Corey Dillon rushed for 1600 yards and 12 TDs. Brady threw for 28 TDs and 14 INTs.

2007: Patriots Defense ranked 4th in points allowed and added Junior Seau.
Randy Moss had 1400 yards and 23 TDs, Welker had 1100 yards and 8 TDs.

49ers:

1981: Defense ranked 2nd in points allowed. No RB ran for more than 550 yards. Dwight Clark led team with 1,100 yards receiving.
1984: Defense ranked 1st in points allowed. Wendell Tyler ran for 1,200 yards. Dwight Clark led team with 880 yards receiving.
1988: Defense ranked 8th in points allowed. Craig rushed for 1,500 yards. Rice led team with 1,300 yards receiving.
1989: Defense raked 3rd in points allowed. Craig rushed for 1,000 yards. Rice led team with 1,450 yards receiving.

The teams were both ranked similarly defensively. Both had explosive RBs at times. Both had good receivers. I think it's about even.

Here's why Joe was better with similar talent:

1. His playoff statistics, especially in the SB, are superior to Brady's.And Brady's lost one ... After going 10-0 to start his playoff career, Tom Brady is a very pedestrian 6-5 with a 24-16 TD/INT ratio.
2. The Catch and the 92 yard drive are Joe's signature moments (not to mention that in his other two SBs he out played Marino and Elway). Name Tom Brady's signature moments - (losing a perfect season? tuck rule game? driving 32 yards for a game winning field goal? out playing Jake Delhomme?)
3. Speaking of field goals - Vinatieri had clutch kicks in the tuck rule game and in the 2001 and 2003 SBs. Brady, for better or worse, will always be tied to Vinatieri. Ask Jim Kelly whether it's fair to have his career tied to the success of a kicker.
4. Brady has not played one game with a future HOFer clamoring in the media to take his spot. Montana won two SBs with that kind of pressure (thanks Steve).
5. Spygate is a stain on the Patriots' success. Sorry but it's tough to rank a guy the best ever when his team took pirated video of the other team's plays during playoff games.
Originally posted by horsecore:
Different eras of football. Both are great QBs.

yep cant compare, even brady has said this
[ Edited by footballxpaul on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone