There are 273 users in the forums

If Brady wins next SuperBowl & MVP, will he be considered as great if not better than

Shop 49ers game tickets

If Brady wins next SuperBowl & MVP, will he be considered as great if not better than

I realise it's difficult to get unbiased feedback on a 49ers fanpage. But after seeing Brady play all these years and looking at various stats and comparing them to Joe, there is definitely an arguement to be made.

Joe Montana:
Att: 5,391
Comp: 3,409
Comp%: 63.2
TD: 273
INT:139
Yards: 40,551
QB Rating: 92.3
4 Super Bowl wins
3 Super Bowl MVPs
8 Pro Bowls
6 All-Pro selections
2 NFL MVPs
Comeback player of the year 1986
Most Post-season career TDs: 45

Tom Brady:
Att: 5,321
Comp: 3,397
Comp%: 63.8
TD: 300
INT: 115
Yds: 39,979
QB Rating: 96.4
3 Super Bowl wins
2 Super Bowl MVPs
7 Pro Bowls
3 All-Pro selections
2 NFL MVPs
Comeback player of the year 2009
Most touchdown passes in a season: 50

The other thing which makes a strong argurment for Brady is the talent he has had around him.
Montana had Clark, Solomon and a cohesive O-line together from the start of his career, then in came Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Brent Jones. A huge amount of weapons to get the ball around to. The other arguement here is "Were these players so good because they had Montana to make them great?". Joe clearly is a better runner than Tom Brady, which I think made him a better overall threat than Brady.

If you look at Brady, sure he has had Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez, but these guys only came in the last 5 years of his career (where he has not won a Super Bowl). In the years where he did win his Super Bowls, his most consistent offensive weapons were... ahem...Troy Brown and Deon Branch. They were good, but not exactly Rice and Taylor. His Offensive line has also changed a bit over the various Super Bowls and in present times.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
I hate to admit it but I can see Brady winning a couple more before he retires.
Different eras of football. Both are great QBs.
I couldnt care less about how people compare Brady to Montana. Different eras and both are HOF QBS. All I care about is the # of SB wins the Niners have. Everything else is just one person's opinion compared to anothers.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Can not compare and should not compare. At least Joe can say he won every time he was in it.
Originally posted by horsecore:

agreed
Tom Brady is in the discussion for the GOAT. Just like some folks like Elway or Marino more than Montana. Folks get way to defensive about it.
Originally posted by niners9:

agreed

End of discussion. -Joe Montana didn't have refs protecting him from "Tuck" rules, and roughing the passer penalties, Joe got his back broken almost twice whilst playing the game.
I would think people would consider Brady>Montana if he wins one more. With that said, I hope the Patriots KILL the Giants.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by niners9:

agreed

End of discussion. -Joe Montana didn't have refs protecting him from "Tuck" rules, and roughing the passer penalties, Joe got his back broken almost twice whilst playing the game.
This

Where's the vote for luckiest damn QB/team ever ?

Tuck rule and now this Ravens breakdown. And many lucky last sec. FG wins
If he wins he becomes number 1 on my list
reasons i can't watch this superbowl.......
Originally posted by kronik:
Where's the vote for luckiest damn QB/team ever ?

Tuck rule and now this Ravens breakdown. And many lucky last sec. FG wins

The Adam V.'s kicked weren't luck but the tuck rule and the ravens breakdown were luck.
Originally posted by valrod33:
If he wins he becomes number 1 on my list

Really? Even after he had a piss poor game? Out of both games, he had by far the crappiest game of all the QB's and yet he's going to the superbowl. Oh brother
Share 49ersWebzone