LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

The Cam Newton Freight Train of Outstandingness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Paul:
I really thought he was going to have another huge game, but it matters that they won. I'll be rooting for him all season long, the Panthers were 2-14 last season but I think they were much better than their record showed

monsoon
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

JaMarcus Russell's first start, his QB rating was in the 90s.

His second start, his rating was over 110.

Yes, he performed admirably his first two games. But the jury is out on him, and will be for a while.

Right now most of his yards are coming via the Jake Delhomme method (chuck it to Steve Smith deep and pray for the best).

Are you sure about 110 rating in his 2nd start? Also, I doubt he came close to throwing for 400 yards in either of those starts.

I watched both (400 yard) games, and I'll hardly describe it as "chuck it to Steve Smith deep and pray for the best" - First, he often hit Steve Smith in stride and secondly, when you throw for 400 yards, you're doing a great job of involving everyone. Smith had 180 and 150 yards in those two games...not even close to half the yards Cam threw for.

I agree that jury is still out on him because he is the 1st pick and expectations are very high - but there is no question that he has all the skills to be one of the best QB, and yea - he is no JaMarcus Russell.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/player/jamarcusrussell/2507161/gamelogs?season=2007

Not really mind blowing numbers, even Ryan Leaf had a few good plays
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Looks like Newton may be getting a blowjob this weekend.

I sure hope for Valrod's sake that Cam only has a right arm for a cannon.

how did this go unnoticed! POTM!!!!!!
The train will take off again this weekend, as the panthers upset the overrated, garbage bears.
Despite 543 yards of total offense, the Panthers fell to Chicago by a final of 34-29. The Bears completed the trifecta of scoring touchdowns on offense, defense, and in special teams. Newton made an early rookie mistake, a first quarter tipped ball that was intercepted by the Bears DJ Moore and returned for a touchdown. Despite the error, Newton went back to posting the eye popping numbers we saw in the first two weeks of the year. The focus from here on out for Cam should be eliminating the mistakes and closing out games.

Week 1 @ ARI 24/37, 422 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
Week 2 vs. GB 28/46, 432 yds, 1 TD, 3 INTS
Week 3 vs. Jac 18/34, 136 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
Week 4 @ Chi 27/46, 374 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

Season: 60%, 1386 yds, 5 TDs passing
33 rushes, 133 yards, 4 TDs rushing

Projected Year End Total: 5544 yards passing, 36 total TDs

Up next a showdown with Drew Brees in Week 5
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Despite 543 yards of total offense, the Panthers fell to Chicago by a final of 34-29. The Bears completed the trifecta of scoring touchdowns on offense, defense, and in special teams. Newton made an early rookie mistake, a first quarter tipped ball that was intercepted by the Bears DJ Moore and returned for a touchdown. Despite the error, Newton went back to posting the eye popping numbers we saw in the first two weeks of the year. The focus from here on out for Cam should be eliminating the mistakes and closing out games.

Can you imagine if he throws for 5000 yards for the season? Won't happen, but I can't believe he is on track to throw for 5500 after 4 weeks. Him throwing for 4500 and 500 rushing will be quite a feet.
I will be keen to see if defenses adjust. Can Newton play at a higher level? It almost already seems that he's near his peak.
I will be keen to see if defenses adjust. Can Newton play at a higher level? It almost already seems that he's near his peak.

No offseason......learning on the fly......

Yea he has a ton of room to get better.....

He is still making rookie mistakes every series and the playcalling on the panthers has been terrible at times.

No offseason......learning on the fly......

Yea he has a ton of room to get better.....

He is still making rookie mistakes every series and the playcalling on the panthers has been terrible at times.

The thing is, he's making great plays as a passer - not just as a runner. I figured he'd have a decent year, relying on his running and athletic ability to make plays and get by, while becoming more polished as a pro passer. Sort of like what Steve Young did, and what Vick has now done. But he has suprised even me with how well he's done already. Plus 4 rushing TD's in 4 games is just sick.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Can you imagine if he throws for 5000 yards for the season? Won't happen, but I can't believe he is on track to throw for 5500 after 4 weeks. Him throwing for 4500 and 500 rushing will be quite a feet.

itll be quite and arm too
In a recurring theme, the Panthers come up just short once again, this time losing to the Saints by a final of 30-27. The Panthers led with under one minute remaining when Drew Brees found Pierre Thomas from 6 yards out to give the Saints the lead in the final seconds. Newton's numbers were more modest in this one although he did register three touchdowns, two passing and one rushing. The Panthers will get another shot at Brees and the Saints in Week 17.

Week 5 vs. NO 16/31, 224 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT

Season: 58%, 1610 yds, 7 TDs passing
40 rushes, 160 yards, 5 TDs rushing

Projected Year End Total: 5152 yards passing, 38 total TDs

In Week 6 the Panthers will be in the Georgia Dome to face the Falcons
I watched the entire game yesterday and I came away impressed. Yes he still makes rookie mistakes but that dude can play. He doesnt look to run he stays in the pocket and delivers nice balls. Dude has a cannon.

I think the Panthers found their qb for the next 10+ years
Originally posted by valrod33:
I watched the entire game yesterday and I came away impressed. Yes he still makes rookie mistakes but that dude can play. He doesnt look to run he stays in the pocket and delivers nice balls. Dude has a cannon.

I think the Panthers found their qb for the next 10+ years

you said nice balls lol
Share 49ersWebzone