LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
You know damn well this guy won't sign with any team for less than a billion lol
The reason I am not sold on Gabbert and Newton is multifold. Some analyst said that they have a tendency of not going through their progressions to many times, usually one and take off-although they may throw on the run. Also, they have not played under center-yes I know they can be taught, and many times a player will play out of the shotgun, but it means they will take longer to develope and if you have not noticed, JH is not a gun slinger like Sean Peyton of the Saints. Plus how much games have they played. While guys like Marino and Rothlesberger don't pass the 26-27-60 rule, you have to look at their body of work- they threw the ball deep because of the system, also they played under center.
Quote:
11:42
[Comment From GuestGuest: ]
Who is this year’s Jimmy Clausen – the guy who is supposed to be a high pick but for whatever reason drops out of the first round?

11:43
MattB_49:
I got a definite "jerk" vibe from Clausen. The only guy who's given me a similar vibe is Mallett. Cam Newton has given me a "fake" vibe. Like he's Eddie Haskell in shoulder pads ... ..

I'm not the only one. I've gotten that vibe from Cam since day one. It seems like the guy reads from a script when being interviewed and you can totally tell how fake he is when someone throws him a curve ball question.
And another thought Matt B and I agree on....

Quote:
Any chance Harbaugh tries to mold Cam Newton's "Plutonium-Grade raw materials"?
Thursday March 24, 2011 11:50 Guest

MattB_49:
I thought that was very interesting. It's a month before a draft in which Harbaugh is expected to take a quarterback and he's lavishing -- absolutely heaping -- praise on Cam Newton. You know that BS Detector I had installed in my head a few years back? The needle started twitching like crazy when I read that ...
yup, Jimmy is blowing big time smoke with all this nuclear talk...
I'm laughing my ass off watching NFL Total Access. They just mentioned that KEN DORSEY is one of the people working with Cam Newton!!

you never know... great players don't always make great coaches, and some of the best position coaches were just mediocre players

being a good position coach is more about being a good teacher...
Originally posted by submoa:
you never know... great players don't always make great coaches, and some of the best position coaches were just mediocre players

being a good position coach is more about being a good teacher...

Like they say, "Those who can't do....... teach"
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm laughing my ass off watching NFL Total Access. They just mentioned that KEN DORSEY is one of the people working with Cam Newton!!

teachin him how to throw ducks
BW was a mediocre tight end at San Jose State and went on to become probably the greatest teacher-coach of all time

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Quote:

MattB_49:
I thought that was very interesting. It's a month before a draft in which Harbaugh is expected to take a quarterback and he's lavishing -- absolutely heaping -- praise on Cam Newton. You know that BS Detector I had installed in my head a few years back? The needle started twitching like crazy when I read that ...

Or its he talking about the most talented and poised QB in college football. Newton was the lead player to help Auburn win it all, undefeated in the SEC. The guy was amazing to watch. Alot of people say hes like Vince Young but imho hes like a giant sized version of Steve Young. Will not accept defeat, which he proved vs top teams like Alabama, USC-Gamecocks, LSU, Oregon. Rare athletic talent, natural leadership and command performances in serious pressure situations really does show the kind of insane upside JH implies. If Newton is there at 7 theres no way Baalke and JH pass him up. I highly doubt that he does last till 7 tho. Which really really sucks imo. Newton would be insane under Harbaugh.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6255133

cams meeting with 9 teams

niners not one of them
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Quote:

MattB_49:

Or its he talking about the most talented and poised QB in college football. Newton was the lead player to help Auburn win it all, undefeated in the SEC. The guy was amazing to watch. Alot of people say hes like Vince Young but imho hes like a giant sized version of Steve Young. Will not accept defeat, which he proved vs top teams like Alabama, USC-Gamecocks, LSU, Oregon. Rare athletic talent, natural leadership and command performances in serious pressure situations really does show the kind of insane upside JH implies. If Newton is there at 7 theres no way Baalke and JH pass him up. I highly doubt that he does last till 7 tho. Which really really sucks imo. Newton would be insane under Harbaugh.

Sounds exactly like the Reggie Bush of quarterbacks. No thanks.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Quote:

MattB_49:

MattB dislikes Cam Newton - what else is new? He is just "thinking" what Harbaugh meant. The fact that we interviewed Cam at combine and were there at his pro-day is enough prove that there is some interest.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Quote:

MattB_49:

Wow. Are you serious? Did you ever watch steve young in college? Or are you comparing him to the steve young in the Pro's(After years of walsh tutelage)which is even more absurd. Steve young was a passing quarterback that could run. Cam newton is a running quarterback that can pass. He is much closer to vince young than he is to steve young. Maybe in time that will change but i have my doubts.
Share 49ersWebzone