LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Attendance at a players pro day or whether you are or are not working them out privately is not an indication if whether a team has serious interest or not in drafting a player.

Eagles DE Brandon Graham on his being drafted by Philly last year :

Quote:
Graham said he was shocked the Eagles took him. He visited five teams and worked out privately for three others in the weeks leading up to the draft, but had only one 15-minute conversation with Philadelphia scouts at the NFL combine in February.

“The Eagles never showed any interest at all,” Graham said.

Yet they traded UP to get him. You guys are putting too much stock into where Harbaugh isn't going, Baalke was there. That doesn't mean we are or are not interested in Cam nor does Harbaugh's latest little quip on Cam. But it is a real possibility that there is some level of genuine interest, something the haters and naysayers need to accept.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Attendance at a players pro day or whether you are or are not working them out privately is not an indication if whether a team has serious interest or not in drafting a player.

Quote:
Graham said he was shocked the Eagles took him. He visited five teams and worked out privately for three others in the weeks leading up to the draft, but had only one 15-minute conversation with Philadelphia scouts at the NFL combine in February.

Yet they traded UP to get him. You guys are putting too much stock into where Harbaugh isn't going, Baalke was there. That doesn't mean we are or are not interested in Cam nor does Harbaugh's latest little quip on Cam. But it is a real possibility that there is some level of genuine interest, something the haters and naysayers need to accept.

Harbaugh saying he is plutonium raw dogging it or whatever he said doesnt mean we are interested either.

we dont know who they like but from all the comments Harbaugh has made it and the workouts that he has actually attended it seems like we are targeting a 2nd round guy.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Quote:

Harbaugh saying he is plutonium raw dogging it or whatever he said doesnt mean we are interested either.

we dont know who they like but from all the comments Harbaugh has made it and the workouts that he has actually attended it seems like we are targeting a 2nd round guy.

I said that. The statement doesn't prove anything one way or the other however those who "are sure" that Newton or whoever for that matter isn't on Harbaugh's radar need to realize that there is a possibility he may be.

And I wouldn't be so sure we are targeting a 2nd round guy, IMHO I think they are starting to finalize their evaluations and are putting values on all of the QB prospects. I think they'll target them by the values placed and if one is deemed of value at 7 they'll pull the trigger if not, then they may look to move around be it in the first, second or third rounds and get in position to get their guy (unless their guy is on another NFL roster right now ).

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Mar 23, 2011 at 09:17:09 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Quote:

I said that. The statement doesn't prove anything one way or the other however those who "are sure" that Newton or whoever for that matter isn't on Harbaugh's radar need to realize that there is a possibility he may be.

And I wouldn't be so sure we are targeting a 2nd round guy, IMHO I think they are starting to finalize their evaluations and are putting values on all of the QB prospects. I think they'll target them by the values placed and if one is deemed of value at 7 they'll pull the trigger if not, then they may look to move around be it in the first, second or third rounds and get in position to get their guy (unless their guy is on another NFL roster right now ).

Exactly. You want to do your homework. It will be stupid to not workout other guys. What if, Cam Newton and Gabbert are gone by pick 3? You have to have as many choices as possible - but one thing is clear - there is some genuine interest in Cam.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Quote:

Exactly. You want to do your homework. It will be stupid to not workout other guys. What if, Cam Newton and Gabbert are gone by pick 3? You have to have as many choices as possible - but one thing is clear - there is some genuine interest in Cam.

He's not vick quick, but he's smarter. He's a project to learn to drop back but he could be like steve young one day, kids got the talent. Right coach needs the right qb so whoever jim likes and ends up drafting is the guy he hopefully wants to coach!
They will have to spy him in the nfl, If he was groomed right and we brought back alex or a vet to compete now and let the rookie hold the board then i think we can do some damage! Besides sitting behind alex also another project Urban Meyer!

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 24, 2011 at 00:38:44 ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Quote:

He's not vick quick, but he's smarter. He's a project to learn to drop back but he could be like steve young one day, kids got the talent. Right coach needs the right qb so whoever jim likes and ends up drafting is the guy he hopefully wants to coach!
They will have to spy him in the nfl, If he was groomed right and we brought back alex or a vet to compete now and let the rookie hold the board then i think we can do some damage! Besides sitting behind alex also another project Urban Meyer!

I hope your joking. Fortunately we won't have to wait and see. Chan Gailey is going to take him at #3. Which is the best case scenario for Mr. Newton, In my opinion. With that being said, this is the best thing that could happen to us. If Patrick Peterson makes it past Buffalo at three, crossing our fingers that Zona doesnt take him at #5, he falls into our lap.

Good luck to Cam, but he's not our guy. All the Cam Newton to 49ers supporters need to shut that idea down now. Harbaugh is not drafting this guy. We need someone who is more pro ready, intelligent and fits our system. See Christian Ponder.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:

Quote:

I hope your joking. Fortunately we won't have to wait and see. Chan Gailey is going to take him at #3. Which is the best case scenario for Mr. Newton, In my opinion. With that being said, this is the best thing that could happen to us. If Patrick Peterson makes it past Buffalo at three, crossing our fingers that Zona doesnt take him at #5, he falls into our lap.

Good luck to Cam, but he's not our guy. All the Cam Newton to 49ers supporters need to shut that idea down now. Harbaugh is not drafting this guy. We need someone who is more pro ready, intelligent and fits our system. See Christian Ponder.

How do you know Harbaugh isn't drafting him or how "football intelligent" Cam truly is ? That's right you don't, It's all guesswork. It doesn't matter how pro ready someone is or isn't for us, what we need is a prospect to develop. Be it Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Kap, Dalton or whomever. There is no QB in this class that appears pro ready right now.

This is exactly what I was talking about, the naysayers/haters needing to accept instead of being so sure because there is no fact or evidence that supports we won't draft him if opportunity arises.

And Peterson could easily be had by a team trading UP and leap frogging us, or another team could surprise up in the top 6 and take him simply on the basis of BPA. Don't sell any team short on what they may or may not do, surprises happen each and every year.

Quote:

How do you know Harbaugh isn't drafting him or how "football intelligent" Cam truly is ? That's right you don't, It's all guesswork. It doesn't matter how pro ready someone is or isn't for us, what we need is a prospect to develop. Be it Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Kap, Dalton or whomever. There is no QB in this class that appears pro ready right now.

This is exactly what I was talking about, the naysayers/haters needing to accept instead of being so sure because there is no fact or evidence that supports we won't draft him if opportunity arises.

And Peterson could easily be had by a team trading UP and leap frogging us, or another team could surprise up in the top 6 and take him simply on the basis of BPA. Don't sell any team short on what they may or may not do, surprises happen each and every year.

I couldnt agree more.

I'm not a hater, I do think Cam could develop nicely in a few years. I wouldnt be so much against drafting Cam if we had someone like Palmer for a couple of years while Cam holds the clip board and studies with Harbaugh and Palmer. But Alex again, ... But it is my belief that Ponder or maybe Dalton or Gabbert would be a better fit with our system than Cam. But then again, what do I know?

2005 - I pushed for drafting AR and we made the wrong choice.
2010 - I pushed for drafting Colt McCoy - the jury is still out but he had a 61% completetion percentage, led the Browns to back to back wins against Steelers and Patriots and was a pro and leader on and off the field.
2011 - pushing for Christian Ponder - we'll see what happens

Cam wouldnt be bad, and if he became a successful qb for us, I would be as as you!
  • evil
  • Veteran

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

I'm not a hater, I do think Cam could develop nicely in a few years. I wouldnt be so much against drafting Cam if we had someone like Palmer for a couple of years while Cam holds the clip board and studies with Harbaugh and Palmer. But Alex again, ... But it is my belief that Ponder or maybe Dalton or Gabbert would be a better fit with our system than Cam. But then again, what do I know?

2010 - I pushed for drafting Colt McCoy - the jury is still out but he had a 61% completetion percentage, led the Browns to back to back wins against Steelers and Patriots and was a pro and leader on and off the field.

Cam wouldnt be bad, and if he became a successful qb for us, I would be as as you!

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

its my 40 somethingeth post here. Poor Black and Jealous? Please Bring Munchies? Enlighten me

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

its my 40 somethingeth post here. Poor Black and Jealous? Please Bring Munchies? Enlighten me

Yeah I still don't understand what this PBM is. Seems like it's an argumentative cop out from the board "veterans" to try and brand you with when they are getting schooled.

As for KRS- he thinks Kevin Kolb is a good QB. I'd just ignore him, he has little to none football knowledge, especially the QB position.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

To gain the answer, you must venture into the parking lot and start a thread titled "Dearest PL Wolves, What is a PBM?"

Originally posted by Lockout:

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

Yeah I still don't understand what this PBM is. Seems like it's an argumentative cop out from the board "veterans" to try and brand you with when they are getting schooled.

As for KRS- he thinks Kevin Kolb is a good QB. I'd just ignore him, he has little to none football knowledge, especially the QB position.

A lot of pro personnel people believe Kolb can be a very good Qb in the league and (for the right price) is worth trading for. Are you saying you know more than them, or do you just disagree?

Point being, people can disagree, but it doesn't always mean the other guy is totally clueless and that you're a genius....people just have different perspectives/takes on things.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

Kevin Kolb isn't a bad QB. There is not very much to go off of with Kolb but there is a lot of potential in him. He has flashed in his limited amount of snaps.

The fact that you bring up myself and Kevin Kolb after being a member here for 2 weeks tells me you are also a likely PBM. DUN DUN DUN.......

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

PB&J errrrr PBM ?

Kevin Kolb isn't a bad QB. There is not very much to go off of with Kolb but there is a lot of potential in him. He has flashed in his limited amount of snaps.

The fact that you bring up myself and Kevin Kolb after being a member here for 2 weeks tells me you are also a likely PBM. DUN DUN DUN.......

I live in Houston and followed him through his younger days...Kevin Kolb isnt a bad QB but he isnt that good either. There is a reason another QB who spent 18 months in jail while Kolb was riding the pine and waist deep in the Eagles playbook, took his job. I have the agree with the other newbie, he is not our franchise saving QB. Dont want him.
Share 49ersWebzone