There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Conversation on Sunday, Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers

Originally posted by excelsior:
Many - not all- but many high QB choices that today are pointed out as "busts" were drafted by bad teams, were thrown into bad situations and were "developed" much like Alex was. Most high choices have the ability if properly developed. If they failed because of poor development and support, it is inappropriate to lay the blame on the QB.

Looking at his game-to-game box scores, it was simply amazing some of the numbers Alex put up in his last year at Utah. And he was only 19-20. As he matured he should have gotten better provided he got proper tutelage and support.

Until I am shown to be wrong, I still think he can be very successful if he gets into a good organization.

He's always been a system qb, dude was never a nfl qb and never will be.
Originally posted by susweel:
Many - not all- but many high QB choices that today are pointed out as "busts" were drafted by bad teams, were thrown into bad situations and were "developed" much like Alex was. Most high choices have the ability if properly developed. If they failed because of poor development and support, it is inappropriate to lay the blame on the QB.

Looking at his game-to-game box scores, it was simply amazing some of the numbers Alex put up in his last year at Utah. And he was only 19-20. As he matured he should have gotten better provided he got proper tutelage and support.

Until I am shown to be wrong, I still think he can be very successful if he gets into a good organization.

Most QB's are products of a system. Look at Kyle Orton. He sucked until he got into the right sytem. The great QB's (not all some are just great ala Joe Montana) just happen to have the stars align and ended up in the right systems.
Originally posted by backontop:

Most QB's are products of a system. Look at Kyle Orton. He sucked until he got into the right sytem. The great QB's (not all some are just great ala Joe Montana) just happen to have the stars align and ended up in the right systems.

Yah but its a pro style offense, Smith is only good in a college spread and nobody runs that in the nfl.

Yah but its a pro style offense, Smith is only good in a college spread and nobody runs that in the nfl.

Smith was pretty productive under Norv Turner who does not run a college style spread offense.

Smith was pretty productive under Norv Turner who does not run a college style spread offense.

Productive really ?

16 tds 16 ints under 3000 yards

You call that productive ?

Talk about easily pleased.

Productive really ?

compared to his rookie year, yes it was productive. Alex Smith was also predicted to have a break out season the following season. The thing about Alex Smith is he has always progessed (minus the injuries)

Productive really ?

compared to his rookie year, yes it was productive. Alex Smith was also predicted to have a break out season the following season. The thing about Alex Smith is he has always progessed (minus the injuries)

I could have had a better rookie year then him.

Always progressed ?

What happened this year ?

Productive really ?

Always progressed ?

The same thing that is happening to Troy Smith, Singletary put on a leash.

There is such a HUGE difference between college ball and the NFL and just because you were GREAT in College doesn't necessarily mean you will be great in the NFL.

Here are some QB's that are not exactly household names. Sometimes they just don't have it to make the transition. And not all of them had bad NFL coaches but all of them had GREAT potentials.

Kelly Stouffer, Colorado State, QB
Matt Leinart, Southern California, QB (He may still make it)
Steve Bartkowski, California, QB
Chris Miller, Oregon, QB
Kyle Boller, California, QB
J.P. Losman, Tulane, QB
Cade McNown, UCLA, QB
Rex Grossman, Florida, QB
Jack Thompson, Washington State, QB
David Klingler, Houston, QB
Akili Smith, Oregon, QB
Mike Phipps, Purdue, QB
Tim Couch, Kentucky, QB
Tommy Maddox, UCLA, QB
Chuck Long, Iowa, QB
Joey Harrington, Oregon, QB
Jerry Tage, Nebraska, QB
Rich Campbell, California, QB
David Carr, Fresno State, QB
Bert Jones, Louisiana State, QB
Byron Leftwich, Marshall, QB
Steve Fuller, Clemson, QB
Todd Blackledge, Penn State, QB
Daunte Culpepper, Central Florida, QB
Drew Bledsoe, Washington State, QB
Richard Todd, Alabama, QB
Ken O'Brien, California - Davis, QB
Marc Wilson, Brigham Young, QB
Todd Marinovich, Southern California, QB
JaMarcus Russell, Louisiana State, QB
John Reaves, Florida, QB
Mark Malone, Arizona State, QB
Ryan Leaf, Washington State, QB
Jim Druckenmiller, Virginia Tech, QB
Dan McGwire, San Diego State, QB
Rick Mirer, Notre Dame, QB
Heath Shuler, Tennesse, QB
Patrick Ramsey, Tulane, QB

Productive really ?

Always progressed ?

The same thing that is happening to Troy Smith, Singletary put on a leash.

Its not always someone else's fault, sometimes you have to look at the 500 pound gorilla in the room.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

There is such a HUGE difference between college ball and the NFL and just because you were GREAT in College doesn't necessarily mean you will be great in the NFL.

Here are some QB's that are not exactly household names. Sometimes they just don't have it to make the transition. And not all of them had bad NFL coaches but all of them had GREAT potentials.

Kelly Stouffer, Colorado State, QB
Matt Leinart, Southern California, QB (He may still make it)
Steve Bartkowski, California, QB
Chris Miller, Oregon, QB
Kyle Boller, California, QB
J.P. Losman, Tulane, QB
Cade McNown, UCLA, QB
Rex Grossman, Florida, QB
Jack Thompson, Washington State, QB
David Klingler, Houston, QB
Akili Smith, Oregon, QB
Mike Phipps, Purdue, QB
Tim Couch, Kentucky, QB
Tommy Maddox, UCLA, QB
Chuck Long, Iowa, QB
Joey Harrington, Oregon, QB
Jerry Tage, Nebraska, QB
Rich Campbell, California, QB
David Carr, Fresno State, QB
Bert Jones, Louisiana State, QB
Byron Leftwich, Marshall, QB
Steve Fuller, Clemson, QB
Todd Blackledge, Penn State, QB
Daunte Culpepper, Central Florida, QB
Drew Bledsoe, Washington State, QB
Richard Todd, Alabama, QB
Ken O'Brien, California - Davis, QB
Marc Wilson, Brigham Young, QB
Todd Marinovich, Southern California, QB
JaMarcus Russell, Louisiana State, QB
John Reaves, Florida, QB
Mark Malone, Arizona State, QB
Ryan Leaf, Washington State, QB
Jim Druckenmiller, Virginia Tech, QB
Dan McGwire, San Diego State, QB
Rick Mirer, Notre Dame, QB
Heath Shuler, Tennesse, QB
Patrick Ramsey, Tulane, QB

didn't he play pretty well for the Stealers before they drafted Rothlisberger?
Alexcuses galore! Yee!!!

Aaron Rodgers is one of the premier QBs in the NFL right now.

Alex Smith is one of the worst, if not THE worst QB in the NFL right now.

/thread
I just don't care about Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers comparisons anymore---Troy Smith is our QB--Alex will not be a Niner QB again--that is history---he didn't work out---maybe he can become an OK backup someplace else.
What do you mean "a horrible decision?"

Here are the two QB's stats for 2004:

Alex 214/317 67.5% 9.3 yds/att 32 TDs and 4 INTs

Aaron 209/316 66.1% 8.1 yds/att 24 TDs and 8 INTs

Holiday Bowl: Rodgers lost to Tex Tech 45-31 He was 24/42 246 yds 1 TD and 1 INT

Fiestaq Bowl: Alex won against Pitt 35-7 He was 29/37 328 yds 4 TDs and 0 INT.

Judging by the stats, Alex was as good or better than Rodgers. I still think Alex should have turned out better than he has so far. I just see the huge difference in development, coaching and support. What a terrible waste of a #1 draft choice that I squarely lay at the feet of an inept organization.

I just can't get enough of the selective stats pulled out of thin air to support Alex. Why don't we compare their entire NFL career stats?

LB
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Anyone that thinks they can fairly compare the two is really dumb and very ignorant. Subtle enough?

they still do it though