LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Conversation on Sunday, Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
I count 8 one thousands

He was shuffling and back peddling his feet around like a rabbit in a den of lions. All the while looking down field.

Alex Smith would have certainly sprinted to the sideline and threw it out of bounds, because nobody was clearly open.

To be fair didn't Alex make similar throws in the jags game last year (back peddled and threw a td pass to gore) and the titans game (rolled right back peddled and hit Jason hill for a td). We all get it. Rodgers is better. No denying that. I just think it's inaccurate to say Alex has never made similar plays.

Anyway that said...it's obvious Aaron is ahead of Smith. I think aaron counts his blessings knowing that he didn't get drafted here. This organization has been a complete mess from top to bottom since 2002.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Just for grins, I'll make my only post in the myriad of AS vs AR threads:

York + Nolan + Smith = 49ers set back 7 years

At least it's almost Christmas, and the Giants are World Series Champions!

This picture makes me sick.

3 incompetent fools.
So, susweel jokingly answered my question by saying P. Manning played with a poor OC, behind poor protection and with shaky receivers. Yeah, right. It is manifest that no one can up with any good examples - my point is made once again.

But you saw what happens when Manning tried playing with replacements for some injured linemen and receivers the other night. He struggled mightily. Thank you for giving me another teachable opportunity for those willing to learn.
Originally posted by susweel:

3 incompetent fools.

Ugh. A reminder of a horrible decision.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Anyone that thinks they can fairly compare the two is really dumb and very ignorant. Subtle enough?

Yeah, comparing NFL QB's is like comparing Apples to Apples.

It just can't be done!
What do you mean "a horrible decision?"

Here are the two QB's stats for 2004:

Alex 214/317 67.5% 9.3 yds/att 32 TDs and 4 INTs

Aaron 209/316 66.1% 8.1 yds/att 24 TDs and 8 INTs

Holiday Bowl: Rodgers lost to Tex Tech 45-31 He was 24/42 246 yds 1 TD and 1 INT

Fiestaq Bowl: Alex won against Pitt 35-7 He was 29/37 328 yds 4 TDs and 0 INT.

Judging by the stats, Alex was as good or better than Rodgers. I still think Alex should have turned out better than he has so far. I just see the huge difference in development, coaching and support. What a terrible waste of a #1 draft choice that I squarely lay at the feet of an inept organization.
Originally posted by excelsior:

Holiday Bowl: Rodgers lost to Tex Tech 45-31 He was 24/42 246 yds 1 TD and 1 INT

Judging by the stats, Alex was as good or better than Rodgers. I still think Alex should have turned out better than he has so far. I just see the huge difference in development, coaching and support. What a terrible waste of a #1 draft choice that I squarely lay at the feet of an inept organization.

Alex playing in the MWC, Aaron played Pac10. Slightly different level of competition.
  • hb123
  • Veteran

alex sucks, get over it!!!
  • hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jones49:

3 incompetent fools.

Ugh. A reminder of a horrible decision.

terrible... just terrible
Rodgers =

vs

A. Smith =

Pretty sure that cargo box on top is worth more than the car.

Originally posted by BringBackTO:

Alex playing in the MWC, Aaron played Pac10. Slightly different level of competition.

It still doesn't negate the overall point. I remember reading a lot of draft analysis at that time.

The whole issue was: Aaron Rodgers was more pro ready but people were weary of a Tedford QB. Alex was thought to have a "higher ceiling," however he was only 20 years old and came from a total spread offense. Aaron was more of a finished product whereas Alex was a project. We drafted the project..which would have been fine had we done things properly.

I'm not trying to be an arrogant know it all douche here, and I'm sure plenty of you know more about football. BUT...I'd be willing to bet thar 90% of NFL scouts and coaches would agree with my above statement (re: Smiths lack of development and the effects, etc).

Drafting Alex Smith wasn't a stupid choice on paper. It's everything we did AFTER drafting Alex that was the problem. Again...this isn't to shift blame away from Alex BUT the rabbit hole goes farther than just the QB position.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RonRon:
Being able to hit a receiver in stride.

Not fumbling the ball over and over again.

An average to weak arm.

A slow release.

I don't think Alex Smith will ever be able change these things about his game, no matter the OC or head coach
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by BringBackTO:

It still doesn't negate the overall point. I remember reading a lot of draft analysis at that time.

The whole issue was: Aaron Rodgers was more pro ready but people were weary of a Tedford QB. Alex was thought to have a "higher ceiling," however he was only 20 years old and came from a total spread offense. Aaron was more of a finished product whereas Alex was a project. We drafted the project..which would have been fine had we done things properly.

I'm not trying to be an arrogant know it all douche here, and I'm sure plenty of you know more about football. BUT...I'd be willing to bet thar 90% of NFL scouts and coaches would agree with my above statement (re: Smiths lack of development and the effects, etc).

Drafting Alex Smith wasn't a stupid choice on paper. It's everything we did AFTER drafting Alex that was the problem. Again...this isn't to shift blame away from Alex BUT the rabbit hole goes farther than just the QB position.

I do agree with you, this organization has been a mess since 2002 and that didn't exactly aid in Alex's development when he was drafted. The fact remains that SF was drafting #1 overall and took a QB in an attempt to change the culture, which is what #1 pick QBs are expected to do. It is rare to see a top QB pick brought into manage games. SF simply missed on the pick. It happens. For every Peyton/Matt Ryan there is a Heath Shuler/David Carr. Unfortunately for us, we had a sort of perfect storm occur; a QB who wasn't ready (and may not ever be ready based on what he has shown), bad ownership, and terrible coaching. Which is why we will finish .500 or lower for the 8th straight year now.

[ Edited by BringBackTO on Dec 2, 2010 at 22:30:43 ]
Many - not all- but many high QB choices that today are pointed out as "busts" were drafted by bad teams, were thrown into bad situations and were "developed" much like Alex was. Most high choices have the ability if properly developed. If they failed because of poor development and support, it is inappropriate to lay the blame on the QB.

Looking at his game-to-game box scores, it was simply amazing some of the numbers Alex put up in his last year at Utah. And he was only 19-20. As he matured he should have gotten better provided he got proper tutelage and support.

Until I am shown to be wrong, I still think he can be very successful if he gets into a good organization.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Many - not all- but many high QB choices that today are pointed out as "busts" were drafted by bad teams, were thrown into bad situations and were "developed" much like Alex was. Most high choices have the ability if properly developed. If they failed because of poor development and support, it is inappropriate to lay the blame on the QB.

Looking at his game-to-game box scores, it was simply amazing some of the numbers Alex put up in his last year at Utah. And he was only 19-20. As he matured he should have gotten better provided he got proper tutelage and support.

Until I am shown to be wrong, I still think he can be very successful if he gets into a good organization.

He's always been a system qb, dude was never a nfl qb and never will be.
Share 49ersWebzone