There are 279 users in the forums

Conversation on Sunday, Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Alex Smith faced off against Aaron Rodgers last year and showed that he is on the same level. Rodgers was blessed to be put in the situation he was, Alex Smith was cursed.

Let it go.

Alex is done

do you know if he's still a captain??

Captain of FAIL
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Alex Smith faced off against Aaron Rodgers last year and showed that he is on the same level. Rodgers was blessed to be put in the situation he was, Alex Smith was cursed.

Let it go.

Alex is done

do you know if he's still a captain??

Captain of FAIL

or crunch...
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
I count 8 one thousands

I cant recall a single play in the last 8 years where any Niner QB had that much time.

[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Dec 3, 2010 at 18:31:34 ]
all we are gonna see is a split screen with Aaron warming up for the next series and on the other side you see alex sitting down on the bench wit his clean jersey , when that happens we all will say the same thing in our heads "why the F*ck did we take this bum for" smfh
Originally posted by excelsior:
What do you mean "a horrible decision?"

Here are the two QB's stats for 2004:

Alex 214/317 67.5% 9.3 yds/att 32 TDs and 4 INTs

Aaron 209/316 66.1% 8.1 yds/att 24 TDs and 8 INTs

Holiday Bowl: Rodgers lost to Tex Tech 45-31 He was 24/42 246 yds 1 TD and 1 INT

Fiestaq Bowl: Alex won against Pitt 35-7 He was 29/37 328 yds 4 TDs and 0 INT.

Judging by the stats, Alex was as good or better than Rodgers. I still think Alex should have turned out better than he has so far. I just see the huge difference in development, coaching and support. What a terrible waste of a #1 draft choice that I squarely lay at the feet of an inept organization.

Therein lies the problem...somebody just looked at stats and NOT FUNDAMENTALS that make you an NFL QB...Alex played in a funkA** system that does not translate to the NFL.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
So, susweel jokingly answered my question by saying P. Manning played with a poor OC, behind poor protection and with shaky receivers. Yeah, right. It is manifest that no one can up with any good examples - my point is made once again.

But you saw what happens when Manning tried playing with replacements for some injured linemen and receivers the other night. He struggled mightily. Thank you for giving me another teachable opportunity for those willing to learn.

I don't know if you are just trying to fool yourself, but, just because Rodgers sat behind Farve, gave Rodgers more awareness, better footwork, blah, blah, I can go on, but you get my point.

Are you trying to say Alex is Good, or something, cause over the course of 6 1/2 years, he made a handful of plays??? Wow, just wow already.

What he's trying to imply is that Alex would have been just as good as Rodgers IF he had the opportunity to sit behind Favre. Forget the basic fundamentals of playing the position............forget the instinct, pocket presence, ability to improvise. All that is unnecessary.........all you need is a good QB ahead of you (one that, of course, has never played the position in the orthodox manner).

Manning and McNabb are aberrations of course.......
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
So, susweel jokingly answered my question by saying P. Manning played with a poor OC, behind poor protection and with shaky receivers. Yeah, right. It is manifest that no one can up with any good examples - my point is made once again.

But you saw what happens when Manning tried playing with replacements for some injured linemen and receivers the other night. He struggled mightily. Thank you for giving me another teachable opportunity for those willing to learn.

I don't know if you are just trying to fool yourself, but, just because Rodgers sat behind Farve, gave Rodgers more awareness, better footwork, blah, blah, I can go on, but you get my point.

Are you trying to say Alex is Good, or something, cause over the course of 6 1/2 years, he made a handful of plays??? Wow, just wow already.

What he's trying to imply is that Alex would have been just as good as Rodgers IF he had the opportunity to sit behind Favre. Forget the basic fundamentals of playing the position............forget the instinct, pocket presence, ability to improvise. All that is unnecessary.........all you need is a good QB ahead of you (one that, of course, has never played the position in the orthodox manner).

Manning and McNabb are aberrations of course.......

You're something else man. No he didnt. And neither has ANYONE else said that Smith would be JUST as good as Rodgers.

Let's repeat this in CAP LOCKS so you can read slowly and understand:

PEEPLE R SAYEENG THAT SMITH WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF HAD HE BEEN PUT IN A SITUATION SIMILAR TO RODGERS AS OPPOSED TO WHAT HE WENT THROUGH HERE.

How is that so much of a stretch to understand? I mean seriously...you don't even have to know jack sht about football to understand something THAT basic.

I can't for the life of me understand why asserting that if Alex was placed in a situation similar to Rodgers that he would have turned out a little better...is somehow "Alex loving."

This is why it's such a pointless discussion. Because anytime anyone has an opinion or view on the matter...it's either "lover" or "hater" or some other dumb sht that has nothing to do with the person's point.

And for the record...I hope the conversation this Sunday is about how TROY Smith and the 49ERS can lead this team to a CRITICAL victory this Sunday.
Anyone remember Aaron Rodgers' last drive against USC his final year at Cal? His pocket presence, feel for the rush, and escapability sold me that he was what the 49ers needed. He was even accurate throwing on the run to his left. He should have won that game for them at the end were it not for some endzone dropsies. Somewhere down the stretch before the draft, Mel Kiper & Co. sold me on the Tedford curse and the potential of some unknown dude(to me) named Alex Smith.

It probably will get touched on tomorrow.Lightly I think, but could the media be that cruel to Alex Smith to have the commentators harp on it while he stands on the sideline with a camera locked on him? Naw, that wouldn't be good tv.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Isn't Troy Smith starting? If so, then what does it matter about Alex Smith? Obviously the QB position will have to be examined after this season. Also, the coaching staff and a lot of players. I don't like Alex Smith, but you really can't compare the two. Smith went to a team that was the worst in the league. Rodgers went to a team with Favre. He didn't have to play right away. He got to learn from him. I can't say good things about Favre or the Peckers, since I despise both. The only thing that is odd is that the 49ers didn't go for the local guy in Rodgers. What's done is done. A lot of other teams passed on Rodgers also. Pray for a miracle on Sunday.

Most all 1st drafted Qbs go to bad teams, so why people use this as an excuse for Alex baffle the mind.
****THIS JUST IN**** 49ers suspend Alex Smith for on the field issues.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Youngone:
****THIS JUST IN**** 49ers suspend Alex Smith for on the field issues.

For excessive sucking.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Anyone that thinks they can fairly compare the two is really dumb and very ignorant. Subtle enough?

I agree. Alex could have been our next Montana if Bill Walsh was still our coach, Mike Shanahan was still our OC, Rice and Taylor were our wideouts (with the stipend that TO be our number 3 guy), our backfield included Gore/Craig/Hearst, and our defense was just as good as the 2000 Ravens.

Since he didnt get those things, its not fair to call him a failure, since we cant accurately assess his capabilties.

Rodgers just got lucky, thats all...............

Add Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Phillip Rivers to that "lucky" list.

Every good QB in this league is just lucky. They all land in QB paradise. Unless you land in SF, notoriously known for bad QB play.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Aaron Rodgers OWNED the Falcons today. Jeez if we had picked him instead of Alex "the bust" Smith, this would be a whole different franchise right now. If I ever meet Smith, I'm going to knock his teeth out for wasting 6 years of our time.
That game reminded me of the 80's 49ers.

oh sweet lord help us all
Share 49ersWebzone