There are 185 users in the forums

Why couldn't Martz do with us what he's doing with the Bears?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I can't believe Mike Martz had to coach under Mike Singletary...

Martz who did his part to win a SB with the Rams, as well as also take them to the SuperBowl as HC.......reduced to the role of coaching under someone as clueless as Singletary.

Let's get a few things straight, here. All of Martz early success was do to him riding Dick V's coattails. When Martz started really doing things his way is when that team went to s**t. They don't call him "Mad Martz" for nothing. During his tenure as a HC, you could always count on him to do something quite a few times during a game that made you say "WTF was he thinking?!?". Untimely time outs, horrific play calling, and horrific clock management were all things that are classic Martz.

Sounds a lot like somebody else we know.

I was about to say sounds like sing until I read the last sentence lol
  • ZRF80
1) Sing didnt like the idea of an aerial attack combined with lots of points on the board.

2) You're kidding yourself if you think Alex could execute Martz's playbook. The guy struggles in a simple system.
Originally posted by FL9er:
You guys realize the 49ers are statistically a BETTER offense than Smartz' Bears, with the exception of pts/game, right?

lol@ "with the exception of pts/game."

Anyways, Martz was too smart and complicated for Sing, that's pretty much all that needs to be said.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
You might not know this but during the bye week, pretty much every Bears fan was wanting Martz fired and they hated the offense... Only now that the defense is all world and Lovie is forcing Martz to run is the offense looking better.
Originally posted by Jcool:
You might not know this but during the bye week, pretty much every Bears fan was wanting Martz fired and they hated the offense... Only now that the defense is all world and Lovie is forcing Martz to run is the offense looking better.

...............................................and they are 8-3...................................and Cutler is playing a crapload better than last year in a new system.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Cutler is playing off the charts, and so is the team. The big difference I think is Martz, and how he's been able to have Cutler playing to his full potential (before last night's game, he was the highest rated passer in the NFL, I assume that is still true now).

So why wasn't Martz able to do that here, with Smith, Hill, and O'Sullivan? Our team is otherwise as talented as the Bears....

Martz did improve our offensive passing game by leaps and bounds. I think our NFL rank increased by 10 slots. The biggest problem was that we had slugs for starting receivers ala Arnaz Battle. Imagine how he would do with Troy Smith, Crabtree, Westbrook on screens, and Ted Ginn and Vernon on deep routes. I don't think we've really seen Troy Smith in the spread offense a whole lot, but I think he could do some more damage since it'd be like he's already out of the pocket.
Two biggest factors:

1) The Bears aren't NEARLY as good as their record.

2) If you actually watch Bears games, their offense isn't nearly as good non-observers would believe, given their record.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
To Stoney and binary, you have to factor in defense/ST to the Bears scoring margin, and even then it's only a difference of THREE pts/game. A field goal. The Bears TO/differential is better as well.

It was a dumb decision for Singletary to fire Martz and replace him with the cads he did, but Martz is overrated. JMO
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Jcool:

...............................................and they are 8-3...................................and Cutler is playing a crapload better than last year in a new system.

Read what i said "At the bye week" and they were 4-3 then, losing 3 of their last 4 games.

At the bye week Jay Cutler had 7 TDs and 7 Ints, 3 out of his last 4 starts before the bye he had a below 70 passer rating and had been sacked 37 times this year.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
1) Sing didnt like the idea of an aerial attack combined with lots of points on the board.

2) You're kidding yourself if you think Alex could execute Martz's playbook. The guy struggles in a simple system.

I reckon if Martz stayed then Hill would have been the guy until we found our long term answer at QB. Hill played quite well in the Martz offense.

Martz was actually doing a pretty nice job when Sing took over.
The problem was that McCloughan wanted Martz gone.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Two biggest factors:

1) The Bears aren't NEARLY as good as their record.

2) If you actually watch Bears games, their offense isn't nearly as good non-observers would believe, given their record.

But their defense is insanely good. They killed Philly, don't let the score fool you.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Except that Martz himself said Smith was ready to take over the team the very week his shoulder blew up the second time.

Martz has proven to be a very good QB teacher. He has had a pretty wide range of QBs in his system and all have put up some pretty good numbers. In some ways, Martz' system is easier than most. Though there are a lot of different sets, once the ball is snapped, the options are similar.
Oh if only u would have been chosen to take over instead of the other Mike maybe things would have been different
Lets take it easy. Chicago was 30th in total offense entering today's game. He's no miracle worker.

Chicago has had a good year because of defense and special teams.
Share 49ersWebzone