LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 188 users in the forums

Why couldn't Martz do with us what he's doing with the Bears?

Shop 49ers game tickets
we were all blinded by our hatred for Martz because he's a former Ram.
He's getting the QB killed and Forte isn't touching the ball in the running game. Gore demands the ball and Martz couldn't not give it to him 15-25 touches running. He bullys Forte around.
I still wish we could have seen how Alex would have performed under a true NFL spread like Martz's offense..
Originally posted by MaliCali:
I still wish we could have seen how Alex would have performed under a true NFL spread like Martz's offense..

With our OL? He would have been the first NFL player to die on the field...
Originally posted by MILFS:

I'm sure

I'm sure

The Bears have a better OL and they are giving up tons of sacks a game. Imagine Smith having to throw on 7 step drop passes when our OL can't even occupy their men for even 3 step drops on numerous occasions.

I'm sure

The Bears have a better OL and they are giving up tons of sacks a game. Imagine Smith having to throw on 7 step drop passes when our OL can't even occupy their men for even 3 step drops on numerous occasions.

The Bears do not have a better OL. Olin Kreutz is their best and he has not been playing well at all.
I think defenses have figured out Martz and have rattled Cutler's cage. That is all you need to destroy this offensive scheme. Martz is pretty stubborn to stick with a system that kills QB's. I would say that pass rushers have evolved since Martz was successful.
I think he has, his QB gets sacked like crazy, and because of a constant 5 to 7 step drop almost leading in int's.

So i'll say he's about right where he's always been.
All of these pre posters praising Cuts'.

Like I said, he's overrated.
He just throws the ball up, retardedly.

4 INT's?

Singletary would've been all up in both their asses.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
I'm from Chicago and pretty much Martz has worn out his welcome..... He will not a just his game plan for his personnel. He had the Bears signed Manumaleuna to be a blocking TE... thing is he cant block, kind of reminds me of J. T. O'Sullivan (Martz had the 49ers sign him and cant play QB). He will not use Chester Taylor and uses a pass catching TE Greg Olsen as a blocker only to see him be so bad as a blocker Cutler gets killed when he blocks.

670 The Score

You want to see how delusional Martz is...Listen right around the 5:45 mark... Its a good listen is you want to know why you do not want Martz as your Offensive coordinator.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
you probably knew my reasons for posting this thread. We like to chalk up Alex's lack of production to coaching, but here a highly successful and superbowl winning OC couldn't do jack with Smith, but has Cutler, who was selected 11th overall if I remember correctly, playing lights out compared to Smith. In my mind, this kills the "our problem is bad QB coaching" argument. Even with one of the brightest offensive minds in the business giving him direction, Smith coudln't cut it.

Originally posted by redrathman:
Smells like overreacting to three games in here.

J.T. O'Sullivan (2008) first three games - 104.6 QB Rating, 705 Yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 66% CMP, 2 FL, 13 Sacks.

J.T. O'Sullivan (2008) next three games - 54.1 QB Rating, 586 Yards, 4 TD, 7 INT, 51% CMP, 2 FL, 10 Sacks.

Jay Cutler (2010) first three games - 105.1 QB Rating, 870 Yards, 6 TD, 3 INT, 65% CMP, 1 FL, 8 Sacks.

Jay Cutler (2010) next three games - 58.2 QB Rating, 613 Yards, 1 TD, 5 INT, 56% CMP, 2 FL, 19 Sacks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/01/mike-martz-changes-his-stripes/

What if we had kept Martz? He's doing for the Bears what Singletary thought he would or could not do, which is why he got fired.
Two things:

First and foremost: Singletary and his dog headed insistent on playing SMASH mouth football. I also thought that it had something to do with job security and Singletary wasn't about to let Martz take complete control of the offense.

Two: EVERYONE knows that Cuttler had the makings of being a very good QB. He proved that in Denver. All the pieces where there in Chicago and all they needed was a QB minded Offensive Coach. Martz and Cuttler fits like a glove.

Even the best of coaches have bad years and the worst thing the Denver could have done was to get rid of Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler. Denver's owner is finding out the hard way. Oh Well, he's made his millions!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 2, 2010 at 11:43:37 ]
  • dj43
It's all water over the dam but Martz could have done very good things here as long as Singletary was willing to let him run the show but keep a gentle line on what he did. That worked very well with Vermeil in St Louis and could have worked here but for Singletary's outmoded view of offense.

It took some time for the Bear offense to get things together this year and they appear to have done it well.

As we are finding out, coaching has a much greater impact on success or failure than first thought.
Share 49ersWebzone