LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

49ers targeting Ertz?

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I concur. But the team NEEDS to have a real speed down-field threat. Who do you see filling that role?

AJ Jenkins. There's absolutely no reason why he couldn't. Yeah, he's had an unproductive rookie year, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Umm IMO, Vernon is improving as a pass catcher. This last game he shoed alot of improvment on his pass catching and focus. He didnt leave his feet once from what i remember. I do ant another TE , but dont discount what VD does for this team just because he has an off season as a pass catcher. As things open up, and the offense deelopes further, he will be a big asset, and they find more and more creative ways to get him the ball. I do agree though that we need another TE to complement VD's skillset.

Oh no I think Vernon is a great TE. I think he's the best player on our offense to be honest I was just simply saying I think Ertz would be a great compliment and in the future would provide stability when Vernon decides to retire.

On a side note thought Vernon was 33 but he's 28. A lot of what I said was under the assumption he only had a couple of years.

I would like this pick anything is better than stone hands walker!!
I'd rather have the best available defensive tackle over a tight end. We need to reload on defense this draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
AJ Jenkins. There's absolutely no reason why he couldn't. Yeah, he's had an unproductive rookie year, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I was going to say the same. The people down on AJ fail to realize he does have the tools and will have the opportunity to develop and put them all together. As disappointing as it has been that he hasn't been able to contribute, he has time and there is no reason to think that all of a sudden Trent Baalke can't evaluate talent. He's had at least 3 good to great picks in every draft he has run. We can also draft another receiver later in the draft. With the attention that Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, our running backs, Colin Kaepernick (as a run threat), and another TE like Ertz could be receiving, there will be opportunities for AJ Jenkins to come in next season and make a serious impact as a deep threat.

On the subject of having the best defensive line player vs. the best TE, it all depends. I think a good receiving TE that can also block (it doesn't necessarily have to be the best TE) can make this offense lethal. The best defensive line player that will be available at 32 will help our defensive line starters get more rest. Big difference. It's not a JJ Watt type of player vs. Zach Ertz (or any of the quality TEs) coming out. It is simply a defensive line player just for the sake of drafting a defensive line player. That would be a mistake. Unless the guy can come in and make an impact in the limited playing time they will receive (similar to Aldon Smith in 2011), we'd be better served picking up that TE, and waiting until the 2nd round to go NT/DE.
I agree but we have 3 picks in the 3rd. 5 picks overall in the first 3 rounds so we don't have to spend our first pick on any particular position. We can reload the defense in the 2nd or 3rd round. The first pick has to be someone that is going to have an immediate effect IMO. He also needs to add a dynamic to the team. I understand we need to add to the Dline but I'm strongly opposed to picking someone with our 1st pick that is going to set on the bench all season if Ertz is on the board at our pick.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I was going to say the same. The people down on AJ fail to realize he does have the tools and will have the opportunity to develop and put them all together. As disappointing as it has been that he hasn't been able to contribute, he has time and there is no reason to think that all of a sudden Trent Baalke can't evaluate talent. He's had at least 3 good to great picks in every draft he has run. We can also draft another receiver later in the draft. With the attention that Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, our running backs, Colin Kaepernick (as a run threat), and another TE like Ertz could be receiving, there will be opportunities for AJ Jenkins to come in next season and make a serious impact as a deep threat.

On the subject of having the best defensive line player vs. the best TE, it all depends. I think a good receiving TE that can also block (it doesn't necessarily have to be the best TE) can make this offense lethal. The best defensive line player that will be available at 32 will help our defensive line starters get more rest. Big difference. It's not a JJ Watt type of player vs. Zach Ertz (or any of the quality TEs) coming out. It is simply a defensive line player just for the sake of drafting a defensive line player. That would be a mistake. Unless the guy can come in and make an impact in the limited playing time they will receive (similar to Aldon Smith in 2011), we'd be better served picking up that TE, and waiting until the 2nd round to go NT/DE.

THIS!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Honestly would rather have Eifert if we're drafting a TE in the first round.

No thanks, another overrated ND player. Ertz has equivalent receiving ability but is also a far more eager and accomplished blocker.
He's not overrated. He could be just as good as Kyle Rudolph.
will ertz be there for the 32nd pick or do we trade up.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I would be ecstatic with Ertz.

I think he will be BPA when we pick in the first.

It can work if we trade down into top of 2nd and get a early 2nd and third for our 1st: we'd have 4 3rd round picks! maybe even trade up into the 3rd with a few of our other back-end picks! could you imagine??

2) Zach Ertz
2) Poyer, trufant, or Thomas(fresno state)
3) Datone Jones
3)
3)
3)

FILL IN THE REST! We woulc go Marquisse Wilson or quinto patton to line up across from crabtree. maybe stedman bailey too. we would have: Crabtree, vernon davis, Zach Ertz, Patton/Wilson, AJ jenkins, laMichael james, gore..with Kaepernick...scary fast!!

We already have a dynamic te who doesn't get enough looks because he's more valuable then the other guy in the blocking game. For christ sake can we please draft a te who can block (in line as well as traps and what not) who can also just be reliable in the passing game so the 250lb 4.3 guy can get more envolved.

Not every player has to be a super star.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
We already have a dynamic te who doesn't get enough looks because he's more valuable then the other guy in the blocking game. For christ sake can we please draft a te who can block (in line as well as traps and what not) who can also just be reliable in the passing game so the 250lb 4.3 guy can get more envolved.

Michael Williams, TE Alabama.

IMO he is perfect for what you are looking for. Great blocker with upside in the passing game.
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Michael Williams, TE Alabama.

IMO he is perfect for what you are looking for. Great blocker with upside in the passing game.

Another player is Dion Sims, 6-5, 280. He's pretty much an undersized O-lineman with quickness and good hands
Originally posted by Giants24:
It can work if we trade down into top of 2nd and get a early 2nd and third for our 1st: we'd have 4 3rd round picks! maybe even trade up into the 3rd with a few of our other back-end picks! could you imagine??

2) Zach Ertz
2) Poyer, trufant, or Thomas(fresno state)
3) Datone Jones
3)
3)
3)

FILL IN THE REST! We woulc go Marquisse Wilson or quinto patton to line up across from crabtree. maybe stedman bailey too. we would have: Crabtree, vernon davis, Zach Ertz, Patton/Wilson, AJ jenkins, laMichael james, gore..with Kaepernick...scary fast!!

Not a chance that Datrone Jones lasts until Round 3. Did you see him today? Guy is going to be a first rd pick
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
will ertz be there for the 32nd pick or do we trade up.

It would be stupid to trade up to draft a TE when we have big time needs on the DL.
Share 49ersWebzone