LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

49ers targeting Ertz?

Just pay Walker a bit more and tie in a clause concerning jug machine workouts.

I really want to use the 15 picks all on DL, CB, and a quality swing lineman or project QB.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

I really want to use the 15 picks all on DL, CB, and a quality swing lineman or project QB.

I understand the need to hit the defensive side of the ball, but we don't exactly have made men on offense. Whether AJ Jenkins pans out or not, I still think we should go after one or two receivers. This will give us a little insurance if Moss retires and Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams aren't ready to go at the start of next season. If they are ready, then we'd have Michael Crabtree/Jenkins/Williams/Manningham + 2 rookie receivers. We also need to pick up a better pass catching TE to complement Vernon Davis (I've stated before I still want us to keep Delanie Walker). A 7th round round developmental QB and perhaps Marcus Lattimore (put him on the PUP list) along with the swing tackle you already mentioned should round it out on offense for us. We can still hit DE, NT, K, and CB with the remaining picks. If there are any more, we can use them to maneuver around in the draft or perhaps trade for higher round picks in next years draft.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I'd rather see us pick up Joseph Fauria in the 2nd or 3rd Round and scoop DT Margus Hunt from SMU to eventually replace Justin Smith.
Im personally high on sims.

Yeah, because after about 8 years of being in the NFL, he's suddenly going to grow hands.

No thanks. Like I said last year, if the 49ers can replace Walker with a dynamic threat at TE across from VE, by all means, do it. The further increased matchup difficulties for opposing defenses would be basically priceless.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah, because after about 8 years of being in the NFL, he's suddenly going to grow hands.

No thanks. Like I said last year, if the 49ers can replace Walker with a dynamic threat at TE across from VE, by all means, do it. The further increased matchup difficulties for opposing defenses would be basically priceless.

I agree with this, Harbaugh rarely acknowledges weaknesses in any of his players and gives glowing complements about everyone. But, even he mentioned the weak hands on Walker, and that's becoming even more clear with the bullets Kaep throws.

I big, athletic TE with good hands would make defenses pay for doubling Crab and VD. It's really the last part of the Offensive puzzle we need to solve. After that, we can draft almost purely defensive or BPA imo.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Oh no I think Vernon is a great TE. I think he's the best player on our offense to be honest I was just simply saying I think Ertz would be a great compliment and in the future would provide stability when Vernon decides to retire.

On a side note thought Vernon was 33 but he's 28. A lot of what I said was under the assumption he only had a couple of years.

Davis is one of the best, if not the best athlete on the offence. I really mean it. The guy needs a bit more technique, but I see him next year as hooking up with the Kap for a record setting season.
While I keep mocking a NT in the first round based on how I think the cards will fall on draft day, I would LOVE this pick. Vernon Davis is a beast and one of the most elite athletes in the NFL, but everything he and Delanie lack (jump ball ability, route running, great hands, awareness) Zack Ertz possesses in spades. To make things even better he is an instant contributor (plug and play) given that he's familiar with Harbaugh's system (played in it for 3 years), is the perfect fit for Harbaugh's system (Harbaugh recruited him due to this match) and has played with a similar style qb as Kaepernick (Hogan).

If you're one of those draftniks that think we need to draft DL because our window is closing (Justin smith won't last forever) this pick makes sense for the same reasons. Truth is there is no Justin Smith caliber of 3-4 DE in this draft (Sheldon Richardson is solid but won't make it to our pick). Rather than reach on a player who just so happens to play the same position, why not take a player that can instantly and significantly contribute in this "short window". A player like Ertz is a critical safety blanket for a QB when things break down, provides a jump ball threat we lack in the redzone, and would be an invaluable asset to the team.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
please God anybody but delanie

I'd like to zee Delainey hang out with the Juggs machine this off season and take about 10, 000 reps. If he can improve as a pass catcher, even Ertz wouldn't be more effective. Delainey's speed along with Vernon's is what puts fear into Defensive coordinators head.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Flenner dropped last year, who knows? Can see them moving up for a defensive lineman.

Would be interested to hear from some of our experts how Ertz rates vs Fleener. Thx...

but but but I love Walker!
Originally posted by drake49er:
IMO I think it can still work. For Example:

1. TE- Ertz
2. FS/SS - Cyprien
3. NT Williams - Missouri St
3. DE Spence - Cuse
3-5. WR/OLB/CB
6. K Hopkins

It will hit most of our needs.

Gonna need a workhorse-type RB in there too...Gore's got maybe 2-3 good years, and KHunt and LMH aren't that type of back, we all know Boobie Dix's shortcomings...
Honestly would rather have Eifert if we're drafting a TE in the first round.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Same. Dude catches everything
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Same. Dude catches everything

If that's what HarBaalke wanted, they could've taken Fleener this year. Eifert stinks at blocking, like Fleener. I wanted Fleener; I guess they did not, so I am also guessing they don't want Eifert. Ertz is a much better blocker than the other two.
Share 49ersWebzone