LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

49ers targeting Ertz?

This wouldn't be to replace Vernon Davis but to replace Delaine Walker.
Ertz is not a first round pick at all. He is a late second. If he is drafted higher it is a reach. He is a one dimensional player that isn't as athletic as Graham.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Ertz is not a first round pick at all. He is a late second. If he is drafted higher it is a reach. He is a one dimensional player that isn't as athletic as Graham.

i can see him jumping up after the combine. but yea i dont know how i feel about using a 1st on a TE unless he is on gronk's level. Personally i think we can get a steal with fauria. he is 6'8 and he catches everything thrown to him. he needs to bulk up just a tad to improve his blocking ability but im sure he can achieve a wider body on the offseason
He doesn't look that great to me. At least not in the first round.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i can see him jumping up after the combine. but yea i dont know how i feel about using a 1st on a TE unless he is on gronk's level. Personally i think we can get a steal with fauria. he is 6'8 and he catches everything thrown to him. he needs to bulk up just a tad to improve his blocking ability but im sure he can achieve a wider body on the offseason

You read my mind...if you're looking for a tall WR type TE Fauria is a much better value. I have us taking Fauria in the second round in my mock draft
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

You read my mind...if you're looking for a tall WR type TE Fauria is a much better value. I have us taking Fauria in the second round in my mock draft

Interesting how NFLDraftScout, one of the better sites when it comes to ranking players, has Fauria as a 7th rd/FA grade

You just said Fauria has better value.....and then you brought up the second round. Not sure if serious. Fauria is about as one dimensional as it gets, nice receiver type, lacks blocking ability, I see him more likely as a 4th rounder as he's less rounded than some of the other top TE picks. Ertz is capable as both a blocker and as a receiver and is far more polished, why is why he's predicted as a mid 1st-early 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I agree. I think a double TE set is a nightmare for teams. Not only can you exploit matchups but it complicates assignments and only disciplined defenses can handle it. s**t most defenses can't handle one TE (Atlanta and Cinci got tore apart by TE's in the playoffs this year)

Besides Ertz, there are other guys that I like such as Dion Sims, Gavin Escobar, Levine Toilolo, Mychal Rivera....etc, but having that capable 2nd TE is a major offensive advantage, it lessens the amount of top-quality WR's your team needs and allows the team to run an ever greater variety of plays out of the 2 TE set.

I concur. But the team NEEDS to have a real speed down-field threat. Who do you see filling that role?

Why not keep Delanie?? Harbaugh will have him working on his hands definitely ALL off season and he blocks great, and like stated we NEED to have that speed guy to take the safety with him becuase I believe Randy will retirplus he's old.
I think this is a smoke screen. The Niners want DL in round 1, they are trying to get the scouts to love Ertz and not look at Levine Tolielo or Fauria. The Niners hope to get one of them in round 3,(Fauria) or 4 or 5 round for Tolielo.
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Why not keep Delanie?? Harbaugh will have him working on his hands definitely ALL off season and he blocks great, and like stated we NEED to have that speed guy to take the safety with him becuase I believe Randy will retirplus he's old.

You don't just "work on your hands" after 7 or 8 years in the NFL and magically just develop great hands, you either have them or you don't, it just comes with part of the package.

Originally posted by 9erred:
I think this is a smoke screen. The Niners want DL in round 1, they are trying to get the scouts to love Ertz and not look at Levine Tolielo or Fauria. The Niners hope to get one of them in round 3,(Fauria) or 4 or 5 round for Tolielo.

Not sure what the love affair with Fauria is, this offense requires a tight-end to block, Fauria is hands down one of the worst blocking tight-ends in the draft. He's more akin to a big wide receiver than anything else. I remember last season people were hyping up a physical specimen of a tight-end, a top receiver who can make great plays downfield, some were calling him the next Gronkowski.

That guy's name is Michael Egnew, and he got jack s**t for playing time primarily because his blocking was so sub-par. In this offense particularly, a tight-end HAS to be able to block, not being able to go is a great way to get your franchise quarterback knocked out of the game. I don't see this team drafting any tight-end that isn't at least an average or better blocker.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Well I guess this means bye bye to Delanie Walker.
Not sure what the love affair with Fauria is, this offense requires a tight-end to block, Fauria is hands down one of the worst blocking tight-ends in the draft. He's more akin to a big wide receiver than anything else. I remember last season people were hyping up a physical specimen of a tight-end, a top receiver who can make great plays downfield, some were calling him the next Gronkowski.

That guy's name is Michael Egnew, and he got jack s**t for playing time primarily because his blocking was so sub-par. In this offense particularly, a tight-end HAS to be able to block, not being able to go is a great way to get your franchise quarterback knocked out of the game. I don't see this team drafting any tight-end that isn't at least an average or better blocker.

I agree 100%. I don't know what games people are looking at to call Ertz one dimensional. He's one of the few TEs coming out that has good hands, some big play ability, and can actually block. The love for Ertz isn't simply because he's a tall pass target. I'm not saying I'm all in with Ertz (would prefer a DE or NT), but I wouldn't be upset either. Zach Ertz would be a guy that could come in and immediately contribute.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I agree 100%. I don't know what games people are looking at to call Ertz one dimensional. He's one of the few TEs coming out that has good hands, some big play ability, and can actually block. The love for Ertz isn't simply because he's a tall pass target. I'm not saying I'm all in with Ertz (would prefer a DE or NT), but I wouldn't be upset either. Zach Ertz would be a guy that could come in and immediately contribute.

Honestly, Harbaugh knows him best. If he feels Ertz is worth a 1st rounder, I won't disagree or be unhappy with that at all.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well I guess this means bye bye to Delanie Walker.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
Share 49ersWebzone