LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Robert Griffin III Baylor QB

Luck reminds me of Big Ben, but more polished. When Ben played against Hawaii, I was in awe and thought this guy will be a good pro. They are not fast but are big and strong and can run over you if they need to take off from the pocket and move around in the pocket very well.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schmons:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Didnt say I didnt like him. I just dont think he is a BETTER prospect than Andrew Luck. That is ridiculous. Luck is still the class of this draft.

Guess it depends on what you think best prospect means. I see it as the player with the highest ceiling. The one that is gifted with all the physical tools to succeed. You seem to see it as the QB most likely to succeed, the one with the lowest odds at being a bust. Luck clearly doesn't possess off the chart measurable's, he wont throw 50 yard rockets or outrun defensive backs for TDs. But so far seems like he should be able to come in and be able to learn an NFL offense pretty quickly and wont make a ton of mistakes. Most likely he will be a Matt Ryan type of player.

he can't outrun them but he can most certainly run over them! id say he has aaron rodgers type speed. hes pretty athletic

Because thats what NFL teams want... "Hey if we draft the guy at lest his INTs wont be for pick 6s because man he can tackle!"
look let's not get derailed and turn this into some kind of argument against Luck because that's insane, IMO Luck is a sure thing as a pro and very likely to succeed.

Arguing RG3 vs Luck is silly, I'd gladly take either one without regrets, and Luck WILL be the #1 pick because he's the sure pick and can definitely be a starter from Day 1.

But RG3 does have more upside IMO, that's why I consider him the better prospect, as in 5 years from now, should they not go through any Alex Smith like scenario with the coaching changes and stuff, I think RG3 will be just as good if not better than Luck.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
even with the season Alex is having, and just drafting CK this year... whenever we pick in the first round and if Griffin was available (he won't now) I'd take him.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
look let's not get derailed and turn this into some kind of argument against Luck because that's insane, IMO Luck is a sure thing as a pro and very likely to succeed.

Arguing RG3 vs Luck is silly, I'd gladly take either one without regrets, and Luck WILL be the #1 pick because he's the sure pick and can definitely be a starter from Day 1.

But RG3 does have more upside IMO, that's why I consider him the better prospect, as in 5 years from now, should they not go through any Alex Smith like scenario with the coaching changes and stuff, I think RG3 will be just as good if not better than Luck.

I disagree, I think Luck has a stronger arm and I think Luck has better mechanics and vision. RG3 has better accuracy and is more athletic. I still think RG3 has poor mechanics, at least compared to the traditional QB. The most impressive thing about RG3 is his throws on the run, I feel like he is even more accurate when throwing on the run then when he stands in the pocket.

I think arm strength is a huge part of a QBs upside, which is why so many NFL teams draft QB heavily based on arm strength hoping they can develop the rest of the skills. And why so many polished QBs who did awesome in college fall in the draft or go undrafted purely based on arm strength, because an NFL team thinks they have no upside due to lacking arm strength
Some draft boards are already speculating that RGIII could go as high as number 2 behind Luck.

This looks like a year where you could see 4 QBs taken in the top 10 picks...

Let's hope the Seahawks don't draft in the top 10 this year....

Cheers!
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I disagree, I think Luck has a stronger arm and I think Luck has better mechanics and vision. RG3 has better accuracy and is more athletic. I still think RG3 has poor mechanics, at least compared to the traditional QB. The most impressive thing about RG3 is his throws on the run, I feel like he is even more accurate when throwing on the run then when he stands in the pocket.

I think arm strength is a huge part of a QBs upside, which is why so many NFL teams draft QB heavily based on arm strength hoping they can develop the rest of the skills. And why so many polished QBs who did awesome in college fall in the draft or go undrafted purely based on arm strength, because an NFL team thinks they have no upside due to lacking arm strength

I disagree on arm strength, agree on mechanics. You need to watch more RG3 tape, he has some legit arm strength and then some, I've seen him throw some of those deep TD passes from the pocket and fling sideline passes from the near hash to the very end of the other side of the field. At times this season his arm strength has been affected IMO by him playing hurt (and this isn't being told but I'm absolutely sure he has played hurt) and that's another issue with him where I think durability is a bigger concern than it might be with Luck, but I invite you to look at more tape on the guy and see if you don't change your mind about his arm strength

I absolutely agree on the mechanics, and a lot of that has to do with Luck having spent all these years in a pro-style offense compared to Griffin playing in that spread offense, but then again I'm fully confident that he'd be able to make those adjustments during training camp and throughout his rookie season.

And I think somebody questioned his accuracy as well, go look at that pass to beat OU and tell me where it lands. It's been like that all year long.
RG3 for MVP!

or Heisman
at the idea that RG3 is a better prospect than Luck.

Look, I'm an RG3 fan. I think I'll be a good, maybe even great NFL QB. But Luck is one of the highest graded players EVER. And its not just because of his athleticism... his mental ability and intangibles are elite.
Originally posted by aman49:
at the idea that RG3 is a better prospect than Luck.

Look, I'm an RG3 fan. I think I'll be a good, maybe even great NFL QB. But Luck is one of the highest graded players EVER. And its not just because of his athleticism... his mental ability and intangibles are elite.

Reggie Bush and Matt Lineart we're both receiving those same kind of grades at this point in the process (November/December prior to their April drafts)

I disagree on arm strength, agree on mechanics. You need to watch more RG3 tape, he has some legit arm strength and then some, I've seen him throw some of those deep TD passes from the pocket and fling sideline passes from the near hash to the very end of the other side of the field. At times this season his arm strength has been affected IMO by him playing hurt (and this isn't being told but I'm absolutely sure he has played hurt) and that's another issue with him where I think durability is a bigger concern than it might be with Luck, but I invite you to look at more tape on the guy and see if you don't change your mind about his arm strength

I absolutely agree on the mechanics, and a lot of that has to do with Luck having spent all these years in a pro-style offense compared to Griffin playing in that spread offense, but then again I'm fully confident that he'd be able to make those adjustments during training camp and throughout his rookie season.

And I think somebody questioned his accuracy as well, go look at that pass to beat OU and tell me where it lands. It's been like that all year long.

Oh I'm not knocking RG3's accuracy, I think he is the most accurate QB I've seen in the past several years. Just saying his accuracy when he is on the move is even more insane.

As far as arm strength, over the years I've tried to judge it not on the deep throws, but how the ball is thrown. ie a lot of QBs in college make deep throws, but how quickly does the ball get there? How much arc is there? I think the better measure of arm strength is the 15-20 yards passes and how much velocity a QB can put on those. I know that sounds kind of odd, but its just what I've noticed over the years, a lot of college QBs making great highlight deep throws and people say they have arm strength, but then you see them in their workouts, pre-season games ect. and the arm strength is totally not there.

That QB on Indy from Purdue (Painter) is a good example, in his Junior year I made the mistake of thinking he had a lot of arm strength because he was making a ton of deep throws with a crazy quick release, but then he got in the NFL and it was like where the hell did that strength go? (could have been due to injuries his sr year as well).

Luck can put a ton of velocity on his 10-20 yard passes, and IMO more then RG3 can. Now maybe RG3 gets better mechanics and his arm strength improves.

All said, RG3 will likely be in a better position to succeed (less-worse team will pick him and less pressure). Trust me, I'm a fan of RG3. Hell if he landed on the 49ers I would be going crazy. Although I'm still pissed we didn't get Dalton last year in a trade up.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Oh I'm not knocking RG3's accuracy, I think he is the most accurate QB I've seen in the past several years. Just saying his accuracy when he is on the move is even more insane.

As far as arm strength, over the years I've tried to judge it not on the deep throws, but how the ball is thrown. ie a lot of QBs in college make deep throws, but how quickly does the ball get there? How much arc is there? I think the better measure of arm strength is the 15-20 yards passes and how much velocity a QB can put on those. I know that sounds kind of odd, but its just what I've noticed over the years, a lot of college QBs making great highlight deep throws and people say they have arm strength, but then you see them in their workouts, pre-season games ect. and the arm strength is totally not there.

That QB on Indy from Purdue (Painter) is a good example, in his Junior year I made the mistake of thinking he had a lot of arm strength because he was making a ton of deep throws with a crazy quick release, but then he got in the NFL and it was like where the hell did that strength go? (could have been due to injuries his sr year as well).

Luck can put a ton of velocity on his 10-20 yard passes, and IMO more then RG3 can. Now maybe RG3 gets better mechanics and his arm strength improves.

All said, RG3 will likely be in a better position to succeed (less-worse team will pick him and less pressure). Trust me, I'm a fan of RG3. Hell if he landed on the 49ers I would be going crazy. Although I'm still pissed we didn't get Dalton last year in a trade up.

I respect that, that's a good observation
looks like Trent Dilfer spent some time doing some film study on him today, check out his twitter http://twitter.com/#!/TDESPN

some highlights

#filmstudy RGIII:INCREDIBLE deep ball accuracy! 7 games studied today and 14 #DIMES on the long ball. Kid can locate on the deep stuff

#filmstudy RGIII:Uses his athleticism to extend play and improvise, but doesn't abandon the pocket too soon.Obviously been trained well.

#filmstudy RGIII:Only challenge I see translating to next level is common to most spread QB's, they throw mostly to primary rec. #pick&stick

#filmstudy RGIII:Is very accurate from multiple foot platforms. Common trait with the BEST QB's in the NFL, no guarantee of clean pockets
looks like Trent Dilfer spent some time doing some film study on him today, check out his twitter http://twitter.com/#!/TDESPN

some highlights

#filmstudy RGIII:INCREDIBLE deep ball accuracy! 7 games studied today and 14 #DIMES on the long ball. Kid can locate on the deep stuff

#filmstudy RGIII:Uses his athleticism to extend play and improvise, but doesn't abandon the pocket too soon.Obviously been trained well.

#filmstudy RGIII:Only challenge I see translating to next level is common to most spread QB's, they throw mostly to primary rec. #pick&stick

#filmstudy RGIII:Is very accurate from multiple foot platforms. Common trait with the BEST QB's in the NFL, no guarantee of clean pockets

Nice stuff
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'm on the bandwagon

I think everyone is...kids a stud.
Share 49ersWebzone