LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Robert Griffin III Baylor QB

• Jcool
  • Veteran
RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless

Mel Kiper tells me has still has RGIII down at 24 on BigBoard mostly because isn't sure how tall he is. Closer to 6-ft or 6-2? 6-1 OK w/ me.
wow RG3 just got drilled while sliding to the ground. was out for the play.... team called a time out and tried to bring him back in. looked like he could have been concussed.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schmons:
wow RG3 just got drilled while sliding to the ground. was out for the play.... team called a time out and tried to bring him back in. looked like he could have been concussed.

didn't look like a concussion type hit to me, looked like he just got twisted up way bad and had his helmet get yanked to the side real hard.
Originally posted by sfout:

didn't look like a concussion type hit to me, looked like he just got twisted up way bad and had his helmet get yanked to the side real hard.

i think you're talking about a different play. he had an amazing scramble and went to slide and the defender forearmed him in the head and his head hit the ground.
[ Edited by schmons on Nov 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Looks like he might be out for the game... Must be a concussion... Big blow...
Originally posted by Jcool:
Looks like he might be out for the game... Must be a concussion... Big blow...

he came in after the hit and ran in a td.... is he out for the second half now?
so he is out for the second half. im glad some schools have common sense to protect their kids. he shouldnt have came back for those few plays after he got jacked up though. he was laying on the ground for a good minute before he got up.

[ Edited by schmons on Nov 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM ]
so he is out for the second half. im glad some schools have common sense to protect their kids. he shouldnt have came back for those few plays after he got jacked up though. he was laying on the ground for a good minute before he got up.

thats a bad concussion when the arms splay out like that(think splay is the right word, maybe spelled it wrong). IIRC that happened during one of Best's concussions at cal and that means that for a split second your brain lost communication with your spinal cord or something like that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Overall, when looking at the two prospects what you have is case of a higher upside and more naturally talented prospect in Robert Griffin III vs. a higher floor guy in Matt Barkley who is more limited physically.

Barkley has been working in a pro style system for three years, deciphers information quicker, is more adapt handling the blitz and overall looks a bit more in control of his offense at this time. However, Griffin III on the other side is the more gifted athlete with the better arm, spins a cleaner football and has much more untapped potential.

I still think both guys are future starting NFL quarterbacks. I just feel there are some physical limitations surrounding a prospect like Barkley that would keep me from giving him the same type of grade as Griffin III. Basically with Barkley I worry about his lacking athleticism and foot quickness in the pocket. Too often he seems to struggle to quickly collect his footing, which directly corresponds with his accuracy problems.

Griffin III on the other hand is much more fleet of feet, is a more fluid/natural thrower of the football and displays better overall touch/accuracy in my view vertically down the field.

Both get high marks in the form of leadership capabilities, work ethic, and attitude. Therefore, since I'm looking at two bright quarterbacks who "get it" off the field, I'd go with the kid who might need a little more work, but could ultimately mature into the much better overall NFL quarterback. And that's Robert Griffin III.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Robert-Griffin-III-vs-Matt-Barkley.html
Overall, when looking at the two prospects what you have is case of a higher upside and more naturally talented prospect in Robert Griffin III vs. a higher floor guy in Matt Barkley who is more limited physically.

Barkley has been working in a pro style system for three years, deciphers information quicker, is more adapt handling the blitz and overall looks a bit more in control of his offense at this time. However, Griffin III on the other side is the more gifted athlete with the better arm, spins a cleaner football and has much more untapped potential.

I still think both guys are future starting NFL quarterbacks. I just feel there are some physical limitations surrounding a prospect like Barkley that would keep me from giving him the same type of grade as Griffin III. Basically with Barkley I worry about his lacking athleticism and foot quickness in the pocket. Too often he seems to struggle to quickly collect his footing, which directly corresponds with his accuracy problems.

Griffin III on the other hand is much more fleet of feet, is a more fluid/natural thrower of the football and displays better overall touch/accuracy in my view vertically down the field.

Both get high marks in the form of leadership capabilities, work ethic, and attitude. Therefore, since I'm looking at two bright quarterbacks who "get it" off the field, I'd go with the kid who might need a little more work, but could ultimately mature into the much better overall NFL quarterback. And that's Robert Griffin III.

I'm betting Barkley gets drafted before Griffin. Closer to being NFL ready and more of a sure thing. Not discounting what this guy has to say about the upside potential with RG3 but think that a team like Miami will be more inclined to go for Matt Barkley. We shall see.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Baylor quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate Robert Griffin III was unable to play the second half of last night's game against Texas Tech after taking a shot to the head while sliding on a scramble. Replay of the hit showed Griffin's helmet bounced hard off the turf of Cowboys Stadium, and the junior laid on the ground for a few minutes before walking off under his own power.

The school never officially announced it last night, but it was believed Griffin's injury was a concussion. That's turned out to be the case, as BU's training staff confirmed the injury today. Griffin is listed as probable for the Bears' season-ending game against Texas.

Griffin was able to come in on one play before the end of the first half after sustaining the head injury — a zone read touchdown run inside the 10-yard line.

Griffin's been one of the most exciting players this season, throwing for nearly 3,700 yards and 34 touchdowns. Hopefully, his injury won't affect his Heisman chances if he does miss any time.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/27/rgiii-has-concussion-probable-for-texas-game/
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Baylor coach Art Briles said, "He had concussion-like symptoms. He's fine now. The doctors said he is OK. He is cleared. He is 100 percent ready to go."
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I'm betting Barkley gets drafted before Griffin. Closer to being NFL ready and more of a sure thing. Not discounting what this guy has to say about the upside potential with RG3 but think that a team like Miami will be more inclined to go for Matt Barkley. We shall see.

Barkley will not get by Pete, wherever Sea is drafting that's the lowest drop for him.
I don't want Griffin to go to a division rival. He's my favorite QB of this class and it'd pain me to see him end up in SEA or ARI. I don't mind the Chiefs, and think he would be fine there.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't want Griffin to go to a division rival. He's my favorite QB of this class and it'd pain me to see him end up in SEA or ARI. I don't mind the Chiefs, and think he would be fine there.

Cant see Arizona blowing a first on a QB right now....maybe a 3rd. Sea is a toss up but Pete may try to get Barkley in a trade and save his job in the process.
Share 49ersWebzone