There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

FCUK Robert Quinn

Originally posted by Riot:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
The article was old, but that doesnt make it less true. Where there is smoke there is fire. If you are clean your name shouldnt be linked to and scandals, let alone two. It cant/wont be overlooked come draft day. I`d bet he slides to the end of the first rd.

His times where decent, but he didnt play top level talent week in and week out. So his stats are a bit skewed. This is from another poster on another board I read. He makes a very strong argument.

Let's take a closer look at his "super" sophomore season. Now taking the five easiest games on the schedule (vs. Citadel, vs. East Carolina, vs. Virginia, vs. Georgia Southern, vs. Duke). All at home, all against the easiest competition on the Tar Heels schedule. In those five games, Quinn amassed 10 of his 11 sacks, and 22 of his 32 solo tackles. The only other game where he made any noise at all was against Boston College, where he played well against Anthony Castonzo. Apart from that game, he did a whole lot of nothing against the meat of UNCs schedule, the likes of Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, etc. And this is the ACC we're talking about here. Not exactly the strongest conference in the country. Dominating weak competition while struggling against the top teams in the ACC isn't something that translates to NFL success.

Finally, lets look at his actual skill set. I don't have tape on every single one of his games from the 09 season, but I have seen a few, at the least a considerable amount more than a glorified highlight reel of his game against BC. His success comes almost exclusively from the speed rush. And while he's much quicker than the tackles at Georgia Southern and Duke, he wasn't able to beat tackles from the better teams in the ACC with it, and I highly doubt its good enough to beat NFL tackles at this point. Without a significantly expanded arsenal of pass rush moves, he's going to struggle to generate pressure at the NFL level. That's where his lost year of development really hurts him. And he has no one to blame but himself for that.

Damn.

-9fA

Wow. That's a big red flag to me. Nice find CoachingMatters

Yeah, really eye-opening. I wonder how that compares to Von Miller?

von miller didnt really start producing till his jr year and even then Quinn sophomore stats are the same as his junior stats for Robert Quinn to do that as a sophomore is amazing despite who he played the fact is that not many OLB/DE played as well as Quinn in their sophomore year
after reading all the facts, I'm convinced we're gonna draft him and baby Balmer will be born.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
after reading all the facts, I'm convinced we're gonna draft him and baby Balmer will be born.

because they went to the same school?
Stats can be misleading, as can strength of opponent. Can we assume that every OT he played from weaker programs were weaker than those from better teams? I know there is some logic to it, but without doing the actual research it shouldn't be assumed. He did well against one of the best OTs in this draft.

Also, I see that Miller did a bit better against lesser teams...He had no sacks against some very good teams.

Watching Quinn and Miller on video tells the tale, as both are very agile, quick, and high motor guys. Quinn's character is not an issue with me as his teammates comments are almost reverential toward him. Close relationship with his mother, always means a great deal to me (I know someone will point out a serial killer with a close relationship with mom--but still).

The tumor surgery would be the most questionable issue for me, but all you can do is rely on medical opinions. If he drops I hope he drops all the way to #45.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Stats can be misleading, as can strength of opponent. Can we assume that every OT he played from weaker programs were weaker than those from better teams? I know there is some logic to it, but without doing the actual research it shouldn't be assumed. He did well against one of the best OTs in this draft.

Also, I see that Miller did a bit better against lesser teams...He had no sacks against some very good teams.

Watching Quinn and Miller on video tells the tale, as both are very agile, quick, and high motor guys. Quinn's character is not an issue with me as his teammates comments are almost reverential toward him. Close relationship with his mother, always means a great deal to me (I know someone will point out a serial killer with a close relationship with mom--but still).

The tumor surgery would be the most questionable issue for me, but all you can do is rely on medical opinions. If he drops I hope he drops all the way to #45.

Stats are just that in Quinn's case - misleading. Some of the teams used a RB or a TE to chip him or double him. Now, you might ask - why didn't every team do that? It's because North Carolina had one of the best DL in 2009, so some teams decided to double/chip Quinn, and some decided to give more attention to other players on that line.

Also, if you watched him against Maryland and Virginia Tech in 2009 - Quinn played containment on quite a few occasions. I remember this specifically because commentators mentioned it how well Quinn has done playing the run and hasn't let a lot plays to the outside.

DEs job isn't just get the sacks or tackles. It's all about impact in the game, and he had a big impact on those of those games. I can't say about other games he had against top teams, because I didn't watch those - but against VaTech and Maryland - he played pretty damn good.
I like Quinn. I think he's going to be better than Miller. I think if he's there at seven we can't pass him up. Quinn= Beast!!!
Originally posted by cory4903:

because they went to the same school?

no, because all of his big stats came against crappy teams.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
On a side note. Ryan Kerrigan's stats
2010 sack breakdown: 1 each vs. Notre Dame, Western Ill., Ball St., Northwestern, Ohio St., Illinios, Michigan St. He has 1.5 vs. Toledo, and 4 against Michigan. He didn't record a sack vs. only Minnesota, Indiana, and Wisconsin. That's to go along with 26 TFL., 5 Forced Fumbles. In 2009, Kerrigan had 11 sacks, 17 TFL, and 6 Forced Fumbles. I'm a bigger fan of Kerrigan then both Miller/Quinn. But I'm probably one of the few. His production is better then any other DL/OLB you compare him too. Plus he was double teamed the majority of his senior year.

He was double teamed the majority of his junior team too. He consistently produced and got better each year. But I guess we can discuss this in his own thread
I like Robert Quinn I think he is best suited as a 4-3 DE but I do believe he can stand up. Other then Miller he is the most natural pass rusher in the draft. But the more I watch Aldon Smith from Missouri the more I begin to move him above Quinn.

Hes longer and the same weight he seems to be slightly more athletic and is an excellent rusher when moved inside. He reminds me of Manny Lawson but with pass rush ability. I would prefer Smith but would be fine with either one, if Peterson and Miller are gone.
I really like the bag drills and other short, quick move drills at the combine because they seem to demonstrate a players ability to move with agility and balance. This year the players really impressed and I'm wondering if there is much more emphasis in training for the combine than there use to be. I know that there is, just wondering if this year was another jump, or are these guys just super nimble? Even the big linemen seemed quicker.

How about trying to watch some of his games?

What facts did you read exactly? I just love statements like this. Please back them up.
Originally posted by genus49:

What facts did you read exactly? I just love statements like this. Please back them up.

bump...really curious about your take on above.

about him not getting too many sacks against big school teams

i think it is a valid reason but then again how many sohmhoreplayers get like 12 sacks usually players break in there jr season
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think it is a valid reason but then again how many sohmhoreplayers get like 12 sacks usually players break in there jr season

Yeah but even if he didnt get sacks did he get some TFLs in those games? Or were the better team doubling him? Like you dont know. All I know is that when I watched him play he was friggin beast, if he's the pick I'm absolutely cool with it.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

The comparison to Balmer is straight up ridiculous. Quinn shows great athletic ability and burst in pretty much every game tape you put on.

Balmer was a one year player who was mediocre and he was drafted more for his size than playing ability.

Quinn has a great story and you can tell he wants to play this game and enjoy the time that he has considering how close he came to death, let alone not playing football again.

He has wrestling experience which helps when going up against offensive linemen. He has the size you want in the position, the burst and agility. Who cares what competition he's faced? It's not like the lesser schools don't have any good players.

Ben Roethlisberger went to Miami of Ohio
Randy Moss was at Marshall
TO was in Tennessee Chatanoga(sp?)

Plenty of guys come from small school and don't necessarily face "top" competition. It's how they play against that competition.

Vernon Gholson went to Ohio St and faced top teams all the time...how'd he do?

I just hate when fans look at stat sheets and make such blanket statements without at least offering their opinion.

If he said "I think Quinn is Balmer waiting to happen because he had one good year and is inexperienced" I can at least respect that. I don't agree but that's my personal opinion.

The guy has the tools and he's still raw, with good coaching the sky is the limit for this kid. He may not look like a stud from the get go but he will get better with every season and even at this stage in his career is probably a better player than Parys Haralson is at this point. Maybe not mentally but that will come. He's a smart guy and I don't worry about him learning the position.

The great Bill Walsh said you can coach up an offense but you need talent on defense and Robert Quinn is one talented kid.
[ Edited by genus49 on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM ]