LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

FCUK Robert Quinn

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by ninernutt:
I rarely post but i have been reading the zone for about 3-4 years now daily. Im no scout, just a fan that spends too much time on the draft. Can someone please tell me why this guy is pretty much a top 10 lock? like i said im far from an expert, my draft sources are pretty much youtube lol. But this guy does not strike me as anything special.
I guess im not sure what to look for but when u watch von millers highlights, he looks special. i just dont see Quinn standing up and dropping into coverage in a 3-4 scheme. Again i just want an unbiased opinion about the guy because for me hes the guy i dont really want at #7 but i might have to get used to him. convince me, I dont wanna be disapointed come draft day!

Well my first suggestion would be to stop looking on youtube highlight clips. They're highlights for a reason.

Von Miller is an explosive pass rusher and he'd be a good pick. However Von Miller isn't as good in other areas as a defender. There are times when his first step doesn't beat the linemen he can be easily shut down. There have been times when a tight end blocks him one on one.

Robert Quinn is a much bigger guy. He has good speed and strength. He's a lot more consistent imo and he has very good leverage. Quinn would need a little bit more coaching than Miller because of his inexperience but with good coaching, time and some veterans pushing him he'd be a monster.

And he's definitely athletic enough to stand up. He may not be a terrific pass defender but neither is Von Miller and really that's not a huge thing for 3-4 OLB prospects. If they can rush the passer and seal the edge in the run game you're getting a great player.

If he's there at #7 and we don't pick him it will be a mistake. I have no doubt about it.

This. This. This. I couldn't agree anymore with everything you just said. Quinn is a baller and will not get pass #7 unless Peterson is there.
If Patrick Peterson is gone Robert Quinn is my pick.
I'm still on Quinns nuts.
It may be he or Amukamara as Dareus, Peterson AND Miller could all go before #7. I don't know though. A trade down would be good, too.

Still, I know I have wanted a pass rusher of Miller and Quinn's caliber for some time. I hope that if we choose him, he becomes like Ware. Given Fangio, I could see him molding and coaching Quinn up on his technique, getting low.

Quinn has the size and strength to match up well against the elite fatties. However, he must use his technique better, like Miller does. If we could have Quinn learn and actually improve those techniques, his physical intangibles and upside would surpass Miller's, IMO just because of his size.

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted Quinn. Would rather have Quinn than Amukamara, though.
Originally posted by ninertico:
It may be he or Amukamara as Dareus, Peterson AND Miller could all go before #7. I don't know though. A trade down would be good, too.

Still, I know I have wanted a pass rusher of Miller and Quinn's caliber for some time. I hope that if we choose him, he becomes like Ware. Given Fangio, I could see him molding and coaching Quinn up on his technique, getting low.

Quinn has the size and strength to match up well against the elite fatties. However, he must use his technique better, like Miller does. If we could have Quinn learn and actually improve those techniques, his physical intangibles and upside would surpass Miller's, IMO just because of his size.

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted Quinn. Would rather have Quinn than Amukamara, though.

At the 7 spot, we're looking at Peterson, Quinn, or Amukamara. I'll jump for joy for either player.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
From Quinns's Pro Day:

Quinn, who had trouble with footing during a three-cone drill, said he wanted to compete and improve his numbers. He said he achieved that with a broad jump of 10-5 1/2 (compared to 9-10 at the combine), 24 repetitions on the bench press (compared to 22) and a 40-yard dash of 4.59 seconds.

"People say I look slimmer, but I weighed the same (at 264 pounds as the Combine)," Quinn said.

Quinn said the season-long 2010 suspension has been a subject for him to address with the NFL teams.

"Every team I talked to, they bring it up," he said. "I kind of expected the questions were coming."

Still, he said he has 12 to 14 individual workouts scheduled, mentioning the 49ers first. San Francisco has the seventh overall pick in the draft and has a need for a pass rusher.

"I'll have a busy three weeks coming up," he said.

Link

Let's do this Niners!

Agreed. Kind of getting my heart set on Quinn as far as hoping who we pick. And anyone who thinks that sounds weird, it isn't meant that way lol. I just really like how he would fit the team. Good guy who made a bit of a mistake that many other college football players make and dont get caught btw. He is a good fit as a 3-4 OLB, great athlete and he's big and strong enough to not suffer from Aaron Maybin syndrom or even be similar to Manny Lawson. As far as pass rush he has all the physical skills, like height, length, strength, quickness/explosiveness, etc. LB corp with Willis/Spikes/Quinn=yikes. We just need to find another OLB.

I've wanted Quinn at #7 for a long time. It hasn't changed although I would be ok with Peterson. I just think Quinn's hasn't even come close to his potential and will be great with some good coaching and experience.

The suspension doesn't bother me at all. Just a kid making a mistake.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Me too.

I just think this guy could be special coming off the edge. He's only 20 and I think Fangio can mold him into a monster.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by miked1978:

Me too.

I just think this guy could be special coming off the edge. He's only 20 and I think Fangio can mold him into a monster.

Cool. A couple more people and we can have a circle jerk come draft day.

Srs though, dude had a stellar sophmore year and has huge upside. Imagine what he could do with some good coaching. Sure he hasn't played in a year but it's not like you forget how to play. At the very least he comes in on passing downs.
"Rare and elite skill for an end.."

Indeed another option at #7!

I'm not worried about Quinn being able the drop back as a 3-4 OLB. I can't remember if it was Fangio or Baalke, but they said their primary concern is finding a guy who can get after the QB. Quinn offers that ability. I like the D. Ware comparison! IMO, if Quinn is there at #7 (and I think he will be) you turn in that card quickly and make the pick. I think he's an instant impact player.

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:24:06 ]

Originally posted by genus49:
He's also the guy I'm most afraid Arizona will draft because we beat them in that final game :(

If Zona takes Quinn, means we get a chance at Miller or Peterson

Quinn has been out of football and only produced in his sophmore year. Usually if a player produced in the second year as well it tells you even though teams knew about him they couldn't stop him.

Ie. Von Miller and Kerrigan. Plus Quinn is more of lineman that has to convert. Miller it is more natural.

I would trade back if I were to go after Quinn, Kerrigan or Jordan. However not to farther than 15.
Originally posted by PTulini:

I'm not worried about Quinn being able the drop back as a 3-4 OLB. I can't remember if it was Fangio or Baalke, but they said their primary concern is finding a guy who can get after the QB. Quinn offers that ability. I like the D. Ware comparison! IMO, if Quinn is there at #7 (and I think he will be) you turn in that card quickly and make the pick. I think he's an instant impact player.

Exactly...Patrick Willis had knocks on his pass coverage too. If you're drafting a linebacker because of his coverage skills then you may as well put him at safety.

If the guy can rush the passer and seal the edge and not get pushed around in the running game he's great. The pass coverage is a plus but certainly not one to make or break a player.
My only concern is that most of his production came against lackluster competition.

Actually, they say Von Miller has they hand thrust that is so violent that it jars many a linemen. He also has a good burst. I like him cause he has proven it iver two years.

I like kerrigan also cause he has produced for purdue in a conference that is not pass happy.
Book it at #7! If Von and Patrick are gone, WELCOME Robert!
Share 49ersWebzone