Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by boooby:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
negative scouting report

Personally I am not sure what to think of him although it is interesting the lack of production against better competition.

Did you notice your source is a 14 year old kid? He makes a good point about the stats against good teams vs those against lesser teams but other then that...

I stopped reading after "he lacks strength"

22 reps for a his size kinda shows hes lacking elite strength. I was honestly expecting him to rep up in the high 30s.

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

But I guess because they're not in the 30s, they're all weak, right?

I didnt say weak I said hes lacking the elite strength he was touted having. As the rest are concerned none have elite strength. All very good prospects but Dareus and Quinn imo were disappointing in the strength department.

It's not elite, but it's pretty damn good to hit over 20 reps at 225.

Its no deal breaker but it should be a little concerning that a 270 lb athlete with his strength reputation only put up 225 22 times. His run times a I could care less about. He has that 1st step thats only beat by Miller imo. I was thinking he would put up a show like Demarcus Ware. Now thats elite strength!

... I think people are getting way too caught up in micro-analyzing every aspect of his workout numbers. There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with them. Quinn had a stellar combine and did nothing to lower his stock.
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
FWIW . .

Quote:
After just an average workout at Combine, I graded 4 more games of R. Quinn and will definitely be lowering his grade out of the 1st round.

http://twitter.com/#!/RUSSLANDE/status/43503190980837376

I don't know what she means by average workout? First time I heard that he had an average workout.

Seriously. A lot of people were raving about Quinn at the combine.

The guy didnt play all year and had a full year to exclusively train for the combine. In that regard he did have a poor combine. He isnt a top 10 pick IMHO and he certainly doesnt have the footwork to stand up and play a 3 down OLB.

Wow how did you come up with that conclusion?

I'm not too sure Robert Quinn can be a 3-4 OLB.. He is 6"5 and 270 lbs. That's really big and pushing DE size..

Also, He has had alot of sacks, but all against smaller schools. And those stats disappeared against bigger schools.

The guy has way to many question marks to even be considered in the top 10 IMO. He put up 22 reps of 225lbs at the combine at a slimmed down 264lbs.

I can lift 225lbs maybe once, if I can even get it up(not sure) and I weigh 190lbs. But If I trained for one year I can guarantee you I could put it up at least 22 times. Especially with millions of dollars up for grabs. Its just another question mark to add to his long list of them.

I posted this a page back:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

Those are the bench press numbers for other top defensive players in the draft. Just because they were in the mid to low 20s, does that mean they aren't capable of being "strong" defensive players in the trenches? Not at all.

Also, 6'4'', 265 lbs is more than adequate to play OLB in a 3-4. Shawne Merriman was bigger than that coming out of Maryland. He's also got a very quick first step, and like Ghost states above, can dip his hips low to get under an offensive tackle.

But none of those others guys had the year off to train exclusively for the combine. Thats the point you are overlooking.

Also you guys keep saying pass rush, pass rush. A successful 3 down OLB has to be able to drop into coverage. Otherwise you are a predictable defense, and I have had enough of that.

A year off to train exclusively for the combine? The guy could have been going to school as well. Just cus he didn't have eye popping numbers like Taylor Mays doesn't mean he doesn't have top 10 talent.

As far as being able to drop down into coverage, he's certainly capable of being coached to do that. As far as being on the field on 3rd downs/passing downs, he could possibly be playing defensive end in a nickle or dime package to rush the passer.

He had school but No practice, Obviously you choose to ignore that fact and its fine. But it points to maybe some character issues. Like laziness perhaps? Lack of commitment? Its alarming to me is all. But when added up with all the other questions its significant IMO.

If you are drafting in the top 10 you dont want to get it wrong. Why even take a chance on a guy who is far from a sure thing? Thats just silly!

LOL ALL the draftees each year is far from a sure thing. As far as character concerns, coaches and players from UNC were raving about Quinn as a person. Very humble and commits to being a better player each day. He made a bad judgment call for taking that watch, but what else has he done that throws up red flags. There was an article last year that said the NCAA went too hard on Quinn for that.

He had school but no practice, you say, but in order to get better, you have to be on the field and train with the coaches, right? Those players I listed above were fully active all season, which means continuous training every day, but their numbers were relatively similar to Quinn's.

Then you say "Lack of Commitment". He took on wrestling to help himself get better on the football field! Being a wrestler and a football player shows that he isn't lazy at all.
FWIW . .

Quote:
After just an average workout at Combine, I graded 4 more games of R. Quinn and will definitely be lowering his grade out of the 1st round.

I don't know what she means by average workout? First time I heard that he had an average workout.

The guy didnt play all year and had a full year to exclusively train for the combine. In that regard he did have a poor combine. He isnt a top 10 pick IMHO and he certainly doesnt have the footwork to stand up and play a 3 down OLB.

I'm not too sure Robert Quinn can be a 3-4 OLB.. He is 6"5 and 270 lbs. That's really big and pushing DE size..

Also, He has had alot of sacks, but all against smaller schools. And those stats disappeared against bigger schools.

The guy has way to many question marks to even be considered in the top 10 IMO. He put up 22 reps of 225lbs at the combine at a slimmed down 264lbs.

I can lift 225lbs maybe once, if I can even get it up(not sure) and I weigh 190lbs. But If I trained for one year I can guarantee you I could put it up at least 22 times. Especially with millions of dollars up for grabs. Its just another question mark to add to his long list of them.

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

Those are the bench press numbers for other top defensive players in the draft. Just because they were in the mid to low 20s, does that mean they aren't capable of being "strong" defensive players in the trenches? Not at all.

Also, 6'4'', 265 lbs is more than adequate to play OLB in a 3-4. Shawne Merriman was bigger than that coming out of Maryland. He's also got a very quick first step, and like Ghost states above, can dip his hips low to get under an offensive tackle.

But none of those others guys had the year off to train exclusively for the combine. Thats the point you are overlooking.

Also you guys keep saying pass rush, pass rush. A successful 3 down OLB has to be able to drop into coverage. Otherwise you are a predictable defense, and I have had enough of that.

A year off to train exclusively for the combine? The guy could have been going to school as well. Just cus he didn't have eye popping numbers like Taylor Mays doesn't mean he doesn't have top 10 talent.

As far as being able to drop down into coverage, he's certainly capable of being coached to do that. As far as being on the field on 3rd downs/passing downs, he could possibly be playing defensive end in a nickle or dime package to rush the passer.

He had school but No practice, Obviously you choose to ignore that fact and its fine. But it points to maybe some character issues. Like laziness perhaps? Lack of commitment? Its alarming to me is all. But when added up with all the other questions its significant IMO.

If you are drafting in the top 10 you dont want to get it wrong. Why even take a chance on a guy who is far from a sure thing? Thats just silly!

LOL ALL the draftees each year is far from a sure thing. As far as character concerns, coaches and players from UNC were raving about Quinn as a person. Very humble and commits to being a better player each day. He made a bad judgment call for taking that watch, but what else has he done that throws up red flags. There was an article last year that said the NCAA went too hard on Quinn for that.

He had school but no practice, you say, but in order to get better, you have to be on the field and train with the coaches, right? Those players I listed above were fully active all season, which means continuous training every day, but their numbers were relatively similar to Quinn's.

Then you say "Lack of Commitment". He took on wrestling to help himself get better on the football field! Being a wrestler and a football player shows that he isn't lazy at all.

He didnt just take one watch. He took multiple things and even cheated in school. NFL teams arent going to pay that kind of risk top 10 money. He is gonna slip and slide down the draft board because of it. Raving about a guy who definately knew better than to except anything. They must have low standards over at NC. Actions speak louder than the words of on lookers.

Not to mention his less then stellar competition and the fact he hasnt shown he can actually play OLB.

Allegations center on a former tutor allegedly writing papers for players. As a result of the investigation, nine players reportedly were moved to the football scout team, including athletes who were part of the initial NCAA investigation. This all follows an earlier ongoing NCAA investigation into whether North Carolina players had improper contact with sports agents.

He was forced to sit out last season due to a suspension when the NCAA found him guilty of accepting $5,642 in benefits, mainly jewelry and travel accommodations from an agent.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:37 PM ]
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

He didnt just take one watch. He took multiple things and even cheated in school. NFL teams arent going to pay that kind of risk top 10 money. He is gonna slip and slide down the draft board because of it. Raving about a guy who definately knew better than to except anything. They must have low standards over at NC. Actions speak louder than the words of on lookers.

Not to mention his less then stellar competition and the fact he hasnt shown he can actually play OLB.

Allegations center on a former tutor allegedly writing papers for players. As a result of the investigation, nine players reportedly were moved to the football scout team, including athletes who were part of the initial NCAA investigation. This all follows an earlier ongoing NCAA investigation into whether North Carolina players had improper contact with sports agents.

He was forced to sit out last season due to a suspension when the NCAA found him guilty of accepting $5,642 in benefits, mainly jewelry and travel accommodations from an agent.

I knew about the jewelry and travel accomodations but I don't remember anything about him cheating. Please provide a link for that. And as far as jewelry, from his interview, he took ONE watch and the rest was travel tickets I believe.

A lot of players drafted to play 3-4 OLB were defensive ends in college: Manny Lawson, Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Lamar Woodley, and so on. They were all athletic and talented enough to play standing up. It all comes down to coaching and their ability to pass rush. They don't come to the league being the best they can be. Coaches help them get better.
[ Edited by SF69ers on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:42 PM ]
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

I knew about the jewelry and travel accomodations but I don't remember anything about him cheating. Please provide a link for that. And as far as jewelry, from his interview, he took ONE watch and the rest was travel tickets I believe.

A lot of players drafted to play 3-4 OLB were defensive ends in college: Manny Lawson, Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Lamar Woodley, and so on. They were all athletic and talented enough to play standing up. It all comes down to coaching and their ability to pass rush. They don't come to the league being the best they can be. Coaches help them get better.

How about Vernon Gholston more recently? Every tool in the bag but it didnt translate. You cant just stand a player up and call it good. For every success there are 10 failures. Tools or not, why take a player with question marks in both areas who also sat out a year?

Here is a link to the story you requested

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-08/unc-investigation/story/report-unc-de-robert-quinn-denies-improper-tutor-help
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM ]
heard this guy might be Kentwan Balmer 2.0. Any truth to that?
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

How about Vernon Gholston more recently? Every tool in the bag but it didnt translate. You cant just stand a player up and call it good. For every success there are 10 failures. Tools or not, why take a player with question marks in both areas who also sat out a year?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2010-08/unc-investigation/story/report-unc-de-robert-quinn-denies-improper-tutor-help

First off, the article you posted is pretty old as it mentioned Quinn still practicing with the scout team. Beyond that, there was never any proof of Quinn cheating at all.

3-4 OLBs is one of the hardest positions to draft for because most of the time, a team is drafting a college end and having them make the transition. Vernon Gholston wasn't even that great of an end in college but he was a workout warrior that wowed scouts. Brian Orakpo is another recent example that worked out well.

I guess we can agree to disagree on the Quinn subject, but he's got the tools and athleticism to translate well into an OLB in a 3-4. 4.7 40 time for a man his size is not terrible. 22 reps of 225 lbs is not bad. 1.63 10 yard split which was the second fastest time at the d-line position. The 10 yard split matters more than the 40 time.
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

First off, the article you posted is pretty old as it mentioned Quinn still practicing with the scout team. Beyond that, there was never any proof of Quinn cheating at all.

3-4 OLBs is one of the hardest positions to draft for because most of the time, a team is drafting a college end and having them make the transition. Vernon Gholston wasn't even that great of an end in college but he was a workout warrior that wowed scouts. Brian Orakpo is another recent example that worked out well.

I guess we can agree to disagree on the Quinn subject, but he's got the tools and athleticism to translate well into an OLB in a 3-4. 4.7 40 time for a man his size is not terrible. 22 reps of 225 lbs is not bad. 1.63 10 yard split which was the second fastest time at the d-line position. The 10 yard split matters more than the 40 time.

The article was old, but that doesnt make it less true. Where there is smoke there is fire. If you are clean your name shouldnt be linked to and scandals, let alone two. It cant/wont be overlooked come draft day. I`d bet he slides to the end of the first rd.

His times where decent, but he didnt play top level talent week in and week out. So his stats are a bit skewed. This is from another poster on another board I read. He makes a very strong argument.

Let's take a closer look at his "super" sophomore season. Now taking the five easiest games on the schedule (vs. Citadel, vs. East Carolina, vs. Virginia, vs. Georgia Southern, vs. Duke). All at home, all against the easiest competition on the Tar Heels schedule. In those five games, Quinn amassed 10 of his 11 sacks, and 22 of his 32 solo tackles. The only other game where he made any noise at all was against Boston College, where he played well against Anthony Castonzo. Apart from that game, he did a whole lot of nothing against the meat of UNCs schedule, the likes of Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, etc. And this is the ACC we're talking about here. Not exactly the strongest conference in the country. Dominating weak competition while struggling against the top teams in the ACC isn't something that translates to NFL success.

Finally, lets look at his actual skill set. I don't have tape on every single one of his games from the 09 season, but I have seen a few, at the least a considerable amount more than a glorified highlight reel of his game against BC. His success comes almost exclusively from the speed rush. And while he's much quicker than the tackles at Georgia Southern and Duke, he wasn't able to beat tackles from the better teams in the ACC with it, and I highly doubt its good enough to beat NFL tackles at this point. Without a significantly expanded arsenal of pass rush moves, he's going to struggle to generate pressure at the NFL level. That's where his lost year of development really hurts him. And he has no one to blame but himself for that.
The article was old, but that doesnt make it less true. Where there is smoke there is fire. If you are clean your name shouldnt be linked to and scandals, let alone two. It cant/wont be overlooked come draft day. I`d bet he slides to the end of the first rd.

His times where decent, but he didnt play top level talent week in and week out. So his stats are a bit skewed. This is from another poster on another board I read. He makes a very strong argument.

Let's take a closer look at his "super" sophomore season. Now taking the five easiest games on the schedule (vs. Citadel, vs. East Carolina, vs. Virginia, vs. Georgia Southern, vs. Duke). All at home, all against the easiest competition on the Tar Heels schedule. In those five games, Quinn amassed 10 of his 11 sacks, and 22 of his 32 solo tackles. The only other game where he made any noise at all was against Boston College, where he played well against Anthony Castonzo. Apart from that game, he did a whole lot of nothing against the meat of UNCs schedule, the likes of Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, etc. And this is the ACC we're talking about here. Not exactly the strongest conference in the country. Dominating weak competition while struggling against the top teams in the ACC isn't something that translates to NFL success.

Finally, lets look at his actual skill set. I don't have tape on every single one of his games from the 09 season, but I have seen a few, at the least a considerable amount more than a glorified highlight reel of his game against BC. His success comes almost exclusively from the speed rush. And while he's much quicker than the tackles at Georgia Southern and Duke, he wasn't able to beat tackles from the better teams in the ACC with it, and I highly doubt its good enough to beat NFL tackles at this point. Without a significantly expanded arsenal of pass rush moves, he's going to struggle to generate pressure at the NFL level. That's where his lost year of development really hurts him. And he has no one to blame but himself for that.

Damn.

-9fA
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

Like I said, there hasn't been anything else in the sports news about him cheating in school. Of course his name was linked to the scandal. He was already busted for being in contact with an agent so essentially, they'd plug his name in every sport related scandal there was in UNC.

Yes, we've seen the argument before about playing better against weaker teams, but with his skills and talent, do you not think he can get better? There's already talk about him being selected in the top 10 and after his pro day, I don't see his status going any lower so your prediction of him falling to the end of the 1st is a bit exaggerated. He wasn't incredible against the topper ranked teams, but he played his ass off. He still had tackles for losses against GT, Miami, Virginia, NC State, and BC. He still provided pressure.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Damn.

-9fA

That's a pretty solid assessment, CoachingMatters. I'm a believer in Quinn's talent, but it's definitely troubling to see that the majority of his production came against lesser competition.

Damn.

-9fA

Wow. That's a big red flag to me. Nice find CoachingMatters
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Damn.

-9fA

Yeah, really eye-opening. I wonder how that compares to Von Miller?
Originally posted by Riot:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Damn.

-9fA

Yeah, really eye-opening. I wonder how that compares to Von Miller?
http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/697/1011240/sack/gamelog.html
New Mexico and Utah St. (6 total sacks), 1 against Arkansas, 1 vs. KSU, 2 vs. Texas Tech, 1 vs. Iowa St., 2 vs. Colorado, 1.5 vs. Texas. That's for 2009. In 2010, 1 vs. Arkansas, 1 vs. Missouri, 1 vs. Texas Tech, 1.5 vs. OU, 1 vs. Baylor, 2 vs. Nebraska, 2 vs. Texas, and 1 vs. LSU
On a side note. Ryan Kerrigan's stats
2010 sack breakdown: 1 each vs. Notre Dame, Western Ill., Ball St., Northwestern, Ohio St., Illinios, Michigan St. He has 1.5 vs. Toledo, and 4 against Michigan. He didn't record a sack vs. only Minnesota, Indiana, and Wisconsin. That's to go along with 26 TFL., 5 Forced Fumbles. In 2009, Kerrigan had 11 sacks, 17 TFL, and 6 Forced Fumbles. I'm a bigger fan of Kerrigan then both Miller/Quinn. But I'm probably one of the few. His production is better then any other DL/OLB you compare him too. Plus he was double teamed the majority of his senior year.
Share 49ersWebzone