LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

FCUK Robert Quinn

FWIW . .

Quote:
After just an average workout at Combine, I graded 4 more games of R. Quinn and will definitely be lowering his grade out of the 1st round.

http://twitter.com/#!/RUSSLANDE/status/43503190980837376
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
FWIW . .

Quote:
After just an average workout at Combine, I graded 4 more games of R. Quinn and will definitely be lowering his grade out of the 1st round.

I don't know what she means by average workout? First time I heard that he had an average workout.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
FWIW . .

Quote:

I don't know what she means by average workout? First time I heard that he had an average workout.

Seriously. A lot of people were raving about Quinn at the combine.
NFL Network claims he had a poor Combine workout as well. I don't understand it?
Originally posted by PTulini:
NFL Network claims he had a poor Combine workout as well. I don't understand it?

Compared to Miller perhaps?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I think they expected him to bench like D ware did... I think with a year off of football all he would do is hit the weights!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I think they expected him to bench like D ware did... I think with a year off of football all he would do is hit the weights!

There were also reports out of UNC that he could run in the 4.3/4.4 range.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
FWIW . .

Quote:

The guy didnt play all year and had a full year to exclusively train for the combine. In that regard he did have a poor combine. He isnt a top 10 pick IMHO and he certainly doesnt have the footwork to stand up and play a 3 down OLB.
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
FWIW . .

Quote:

The guy didnt play all year and had a full year to exclusively train for the combine. In that regard he did have a poor combine. He isnt a top 10 pick IMHO and he certainly doesnt have the footwork to stand up and play a 3 down OLB.

Wow how did you come up with that conclusion?
FWIW . .

Quote:

Quinn is more than athletic enough to play as a stand-up 3-4 OLB. You don't have to be an elite athlete to succeed in that role, so long as you have innate pass rushing skills (his ability to dip/bend while maintaining his speed is uncanny) and can set the edge in the run game.

True, I don't think Quinn is a better overall athlete than Von Miller or even Justin Houston, but he's every bit the pass rusher those guys are and probably more so.

FWIW . .

Quote:

I'm not too sure Robert Quinn can be a 3-4 OLB.. He is 6"5 and 270 lbs. That's really big and pushing DE size..

Also, He has had alot of sacks, but all against smaller schools. And those stats disappeared against bigger schools.

The guy has way to many question marks to even be considered in the top 10 IMO. He put up 22 reps of 225lbs at the combine at a slimmed down 264lbs.

I can lift 225lbs maybe once, if I can even get it up(not sure) and I weigh 190lbs. But If I trained for one year I can guarantee you I could put it up at least 22 times. Especially with millions of dollars up for grabs. Its just another question mark to add to his long list of them.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM ]
FWIW . .

Quote:

I'm not too sure Robert Quinn can be a 3-4 OLB.. He is 6"5 and 270 lbs. That's really big and pushing DE size..

Also, He has had alot of sacks, but all against smaller schools. And those stats disappeared against bigger schools.

The guy has way to many question marks to even be considered in the top 10 IMO. He put up 22 reps of 225lbs at the combine at a slimmed down 264lbs.

I can lift 225lbs maybe once, if I can even get it up(not sure) and I weigh 190lbs. But If I trained for one year I can guarantee you I could put it up at least 22 times. Especially with millions of dollars up for grabs. Its just another question mark to add to his long list of them.

I posted this a page back:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

Those are the bench press numbers for other top defensive players in the draft. Just because they were in the mid to low 20s, does that mean they aren't capable of being "strong" defensive players in the trenches? Not at all.

Also, 6'4'', 265 lbs is more than adequate to play OLB in a 3-4. Shawne Merriman was bigger than that coming out of Maryland. He's also got a very quick first step, and like Ghost states above, can dip his hips low to get under an offensive tackle.
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

Those are the bench press numbers for other top defensive players in the draft. Just because they were in the mid to low 20s, does that mean they aren't capable of being "strong" defensive players in the trenches? Not at all.

Also, 6'4'', 265 lbs is more than adequate to play OLB in a 3-4. Shawne Merriman was bigger than that coming out of Maryland. He's also got a very quick first step, and like Ghost states above, can dip his hips low to get under an offensive tackle.

But none of those others guys had the year off to train exclusively for the combine. Thats the point you are overlooking.

Also you guys keep saying pass rush, pass rush. A successful 3 down OLB has to be able to drop into coverage. Otherwise you are a predictable defense, and I have had enough of that.
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM ]
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

But none of those others guys had the year off to train exclusively for the combine. Thats the point you are overlooking.

Also you guys keep saying pass rush, pass rush. A successful 3 down OLB has to be able to drop into coverage. Otherwise you are a predictable defense, and I have had enough of that.

A year off to train exclusively for the combine? The guy could have been going to school as well. Just cus he didn't have eye popping numbers like Taylor Mays doesn't mean he doesn't have top 10 talent.

As far as being able to drop down into coverage, he's certainly capable of being coached to do that. As far as being on the field on 3rd downs/passing downs, he could possibly be playing defensive end in a nickle or dime package to rush the passer.
FWIW . .

Quote:

Bowers - 22
Dareus - 24
Jordan - 25
Smith - 20
Quinn - 22

A year off to train exclusively for the combine? The guy could have been going to school as well. Just cus he didn't have eye popping numbers like Taylor Mays doesn't mean he doesn't have top 10 talent.

As far as being able to drop down into coverage, he's certainly capable of being coached to do that. As far as being on the field on 3rd downs/passing downs, he could possibly be playing defensive end in a nickle or dime package to rush the passer.

He had school but No practice, Obviously you choose to ignore that fact and its fine. But it points to maybe some character issues. Like laziness perhaps? Lack of commitment? Its alarming to me is all. But when added up with all the other questions its significant IMO.

If you are drafting in the top 10 you dont want to get it wrong. Why even take a chance on a guy who is far from a sure thing? Thats just silly!
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone