LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

MadDog's 49ers Draft Board- Stacking the Board

I seen Miller as a liablity in run support, in which he would consistently be overmatched by linemen. Also, hed slash off the edge at the snap and run himself out of the play. I didnt see a dominant defensive unit in Denver. With Miller, I dont think teams are going to have to gameplan against his strengths. But on the other hand, I see a complete defense in SF with cohesion when Aldon was on the field. He made the team better, simply put. And I know that when teams face us this year, OCs are going to gameplan with Aldon Smith on their minds.

My take is...
AS = terror
VM = speed rusher with limited ceiling

...and just for the record,
JJ Watt = terror also
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
MadDog.....the only reason we go over this again is when you do your revisited Top Five evaluation pick of the 2011 draft........Aldon Smith doesn't make the top five. And you have had time to watch the Niners plenty........so rating Aldon out of the top five is a little strange. And dude props to you for nailing the JJ WATT pick, but I think most people on the board would taken Aldon.

It's that kind of thinking that drives some people on the board nuts over your posts. But again if it's to be contriversial, you are doing a good job.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. You are right about a revisit of the board. In a normal year, the Smith would be a top 5 pick. However, the draft was so outstanding last year that he wouldn't make the top 5. If you had to put a gun to my head, I'd probably put this as the board:
1. Cam Newton
2. AJ Green
3. Patrick Peterson
4. JJ Watt
5. Von Miller

The challenge for Smith this year is to step in as an every-down starter, and improve dropping into coverage. This year, he will be standing up much more than putting his hand on the ground. I wish the kid the best of luck.

Von Miller was HORRIBLE in pass coverage, all he did was rush the passer, to the point John Fox benched him for it. Not to mention that Aldon played only about half the snaps that Miller did and was more productive. Patrick Peterson had some nice highlight on return and what not, but was still getting beat on man coverage situations by mediocre receivers. JJ Watt was a beast, but again... Aldon did MORE in less playing time. AJ Green can't take anything away from him, he had a good season, but receivers come a dime a dozen and IMO an elite pass rusher is more of a need in this new "pass happy" nfl. So with that said, if you can sit here and honestly say Aldon wasn't the 2nd best rookie this year, and that in a re-draft you wouldn't take him 2nd, then you are totally biased towards your own opinion over raw facts.

P.S. Von Miller was suspect on run support as well, I saw him run pass a ball carrier PLENTY of times because he has a one track get to the QB mindset. That's cool when your playing against spread teams in the NCAA that pass 85% of the time, but not in the NFL.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on May 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Von Miller was HORRIBLE in pass coverage, all he did was rush the passer, to the point John Fox benched him for it. Not to mention that Aldon played only about half the snaps that Miller did and was more productive. Patrick Peterson had some nice highlight on return and what not, but was still getting beat on man coverage situations by mediocre receivers. JJ Watt was a beast, but again... Aldon did MORE in less playing time. AJ Green can't take anything away from him, he had a good season, but receivers come a dime a dozen and IMO an elite pass rusher is more of a need in this new "pass happy" nfl. So with that said, if you can sit here and honestly say Aldon wasn't the 2nd best rookie this year, and that in a re-draft you wouldn't take him 2nd, then you are totally biased towards your own opinion over raw facts.

P.S. Von Miller was suspect on run support as well, I saw him run pass a ball carrier PLENTY of times because he has a one track get to the QB mindset. That's cool when your playing against spread teams in the NCAA that pass 85% of the time, but not in the NFL.

If what you state is true, then Miller would not have been a Second Team All-Pro.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

If what you state is true, then Miller would not have been a Second Team All-Pro.

Here's the numbers, if you can sit here and HONESTLY say Smith didn't have a much better season considering he only played half the snaps that Miller did, then your just being plain stubborn.

Aldon Smith- Sacks; 14 Tackles; 31 Safetys; 1 Forced Fumbles; 2 Fumble Recovery; 1

Von Miller- Sacks; 11.5 Tackles; 50 Safetys; 0 Forced Fumbles 2 Fumble Recovery; 0
Share 49ersWebzone