LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

MadDog's 49ers Draft Board- Stacking the Board

With the draft only one week away, I wanted to reveal my draft board, if put in the position of GM's for this 2010 draft.

As you all know, when creating draft boards, teams can use various strategies. They may create a best player avaliable (BPA) board: stack their players based on how they rank overall, and draft in that order, regardless of position. The Rams did this years ago by selecting Steven Jackson, even though Marshall Faulk was a star for the team. It was a head scratcher then, but makes perfect sense now.

Other teams downgrade players from positions of less importance to the team, or due to a strong depth chart in that position, and create a needs-based board. Or, in the case of Dez Bryant, the riskiness of a player's off the field actions may move them slightly, or dramatically, down a draft board (in my opinion, Bryant is the fourth best player in the entire draft, but I have stacked him lower due to character concerns).

Finally, teams rarely draft players who do not fit their schemes. That is why I don't even stack Sean Weatherspoon, Daryl Washington, Brian Price, and others on this board. And, why I have players who may, or may not, fit our scheme, such as Derrick Morgan, stacked lower than expected. These players present a greater risk than others who fit the scheme, but do pose value later in the draft as someone who may be able to transition successfully (if they magically fall that low).

There are pros and cons to a BPA approach and a needs-based approach. I tend to lean toward the best player available, regardless of position. However, I do make exceptions. I do not feel Bryan Bulaga is the 15th best overall player, but move him slightly higher on my board due to the critical team need, someone who can pass block.

Undoubtably, there will be surprises in this draft board. I have not been ashamed to trumpet the skills of Mike Iupati, Eric Berry and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. I think Iupati is a future Pro-Bowl star. I also think that Eric Berry is the best player in the draft, and the one that will make the most impact in the league. To me, Owusu-Ansah is a terrific player, and someone who will surprise in this league. And, I really respect two safeties who would present a major upgrade for the team, if on the board at number 49: Nate Allen and Morgan Burnett.

On the flip side, I am highly skeptical toward Taylor Mays, Patrick Robinson and Tim Tebow. I see major flaws in each of their games that will be highly problematic in the NFL. I could write a dissertation on Mays, who I have have never liked as an NFL player (feel free to read my posts from two years ago).

Have fun, and feel free to ask questions, rip me for being an idiot, etc.
I will be posting a new Big 255 Board this weekend.

Cheers.

MadDog's 49ers Draft Board- Stacking the Top 50 Players

Board Rank Name Position
1 Eric Berry S
2 Ndamukong Suh DT/DE
3 Russell Okung OT
4 CJ Spiller RB
5 Sam Bradford QB
6 Gerald McCoy DT/DE
7 Joe Haden CB
8 Mike Iupati G/OT
9 Brandon Graham OLB
10 Dez Bryant WR
11 Trent Williams OT
12 Anthony Davis OT
13 Charles Brown OT
14 Maurkice Pouncey C/G
15 Bryan Bulaga OT
16 Kyle Wilson CB
17 Earl Thomas CB/S
18 Dan Williams NT
19 Jared Odrick DE
20 Ryan Matthews RB
21 Rolando McClain LB
22 Bruce Campbell OT
23 Rodger Saffold OT
24 Nate Allen S
25 Morgan Burnett S
26 Devin McCourty CB
27 Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB/S
28 Arrelious Benn WR
29 Sergio Kindle OLB
30 Jason Pierre-Paul OLB
31 Jerry Hughes OLB
32 John Jerry G/OT
33 Jahvid Best RB
34 Golden Tate WR
35 Jon Asamoah G
36 Jason Worilds OLB
37 Everson Griffen OLB
38 Derrick Morgan OLB/DE
39 Jimmy Clausen QB
40 Chad Jones S
41 Jermaine Gresham TE
42 Dexter McCluster RB
43 Vladimir Ducasse OT
44 Aaron Hernandez TE
45 Jared Veldheer OT
46 Koa Misi OLB
47 Demaryius Thomas WR
48 Kareem Jackson CB
49 Terrence Cody NT
50 Thaddeus Gibson OLB
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM ]
Great job MD.

Interesting that you had Brandon Graham ahead of the #2,#3, and #4 OTs in the draft. Hmmm....
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Great job MD.

Interesting that you had Brandon Graham ahead of the #2,#3, and #4 OTs in the draft. Hmmm....

Also with Dez Bryant since WR isn't exactly a need at the moment....
No disagreements. Thumbs up, brother.
I believe if Haden and Barry are that high then Thomas shouldn't be that far behind. For sure over Bryant, other than that i love it!
[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM ]
I want Graham
This is your stacking of the players if you were GM, Are you going to give us the MD actual draft and your view of how the Niners will pick?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Pouncey higher than Bulaga? Also, do you think Sean Weatherspoon could play mike in a 3-4, but left him off as Patrick Willis is invincible and he's too small for the ted?
Awesome stuff. Agree with almost everything except I'm 100% pot committed that Jimmy Clausen is deserving of a much higher value.
MadDog, your my friggin hero, and I love your board and would be thrilled with any 2 of your top 17 in the first.

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
This is your stacking of the players if you were GM, Are you going to give us the MD actual draft and your view of how the Niners will pick?

Hopefully in the next couple days.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Pouncey higher than Bulaga? Also, do you think Sean Weatherspoon could play mike in a 3-4, but left him off as Patrick Willis is invincible and he's too small for the ted?

I didn't like Weatherspoon this season as the Tigers' Mike backer. He was MUCH better last year as a Sam, where I think he will play in the NFL.

To me, Bulaga has a limited upside to his game. His length presents a problem at the next level. Pouncey and Iupati are easily the best interior linemen, and grade pretty high in my book.
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:
I believe if Haden and Barry are that high then Thomas shouldn't be that far behind. For sure over Bryant, other than that i love it!

Count me as skeptical on Thomas playing FS in the NFL effectively. He's a great ball tracker, a great coverage guy, but a liability in tackling and playing against bigger and stronger players.

I think he will be moved to CB, and that Wilson is a better pure corner.
Great job MD.

Also with Dez Bryant since WR isn't exactly a need at the moment....

I graded Bryant better than Crabtree at the end of the 2008 season, and have not changed my opinion. He's going to be pretty outstanding in the NFL. I do have some concerns about how he will blend into a team, but his skills are off the chart. The best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

As for the OL in this draft, I only see one elite OT in Okung. The rest of the top level guys are interchangeable in many ways to me, having some form of flaw that drops them a bit.

Graham is simply a phenom. Pop in the Michigan-Iowa game and watch him thrash both Bulaga and Calloway. And, then he starred at Senior Bowl week. He is nearly unblockable. Love the kid, a ton.

Last week, it was revealed that he requested/demanded that scouts allow him to run as a CB in drills at his Pro Day. He wanted to show his ability to drop into coverage. For a 265-270 guy to have that form of confidence, I want a kid like that on my team.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:59 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 23zack80:

I didn't like Weatherspoon this season as the Tigers' Mike backer. He was MUCH better last year as a Sam, where I think he will play in the NFL.

To me, Bulaga has a limited upside to his game. His length presents a problem at the next level. Pouncey and Iupati are easily the best interior linemen, and grade pretty high in my book.

MD,
Does your placement of Iupati and designating him as OG/OT suggest you as Baalke believe the Niners will consider Iupati at tackle? Second question, do you think the Niners should trade down from either #13 or #17 and/or trade up from #49. If so, who for?
Share 49ersWebzone