There are 252 users in the forums

MadDog's 49ers Draft Board- Stacking the Board

Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Maddog, where is dan lefevour on your big board?

Sixth rounder. I see a LOT of other QB's selected before him. The issue really comes down to arm strength. He has just struggled to make throws down the field this offseason for scouts. The stronger armed guys will get the attention in the third, fourth rounds (Skelton, Crompton, Snead, Brown).

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Kafka of Northwestern drafted before him.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Originally posted by teeohh:
What do you guys think about Taylor Mays?

We already have McKillop to back up at ILB.

Snap!
In todays NFL, and especially running a 3-4 I don't think we need an in the box safety anymore. Coverage skills and good tackling is what want in a DB.
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Based on my board, at the 30th pick, the best avaliable players are now (passing on the OL):
1) Nate Allen
2) Morgan Burnett
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
4) Arrelious Benn
5) Sergio Kindle
6) Jerry Hughes

Well, no more Hughes now. I had him going 43rd overall to Miami.

Ansah needs to be the pick for the 49ers if available. The 49ers can always resign Mark Roman or sign Gibril Wilson in free agency if they want to address the 4th S spot.

But it seems as though the 49ers want to give Reggie Smith a chance in 2010 without stiff competition. The next option would be to draft a CB that will primarily contribute on special teams, allowing Clements to prove himself...again.

Ansah fits the bill.

I'm hopeful for any of the following: Allen, Owsusu-Ansah, Burnett, R.Jones, or Franks. Murphy and Spievey in the 3rd-4th would be fine as well.

I'm hoping for Allen or Owsusu-Ansah....

That would make this an amazing draft imo.

How awesome would that be to get Allen in the 2nd and Ansah in the 3rd?

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by drake49er:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Based on my board, at the 30th pick, the best avaliable players are now (passing on the OL):
1) Nate Allen
2) Morgan Burnett
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
4) Arrelious Benn
5) Sergio Kindle
6) Jerry Hughes

Well, no more Hughes now. I had him going 43rd overall to Miami.

Ansah needs to be the pick for the 49ers if available. The 49ers can always resign Mark Roman or sign Gibril Wilson in free agency if they want to address the 4th S spot.

But it seems as though the 49ers want to give Reggie Smith a chance in 2010 without stiff competition. The next option would be to draft a CB that will primarily contribute on special teams, allowing Clements to prove himself...again.

Ansah fits the bill.

I'm hopeful for any of the following: Allen, Owsusu-Ansah, Burnett, R.Jones, or Franks. Murphy and Spievey in the 3rd-4th would be fine as well.

I'm hoping for Allen or Owsusu-Ansah....

That would make this an amazing draft imo.

How awesome would that be to get Allen in the 2nd and Ansah in the 3rd?

Don't think Ansah will be there, but I'd love the combo.
1) Nate Allen
2) Morgan Burnett
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
4) Arrelious Benn
5) Sergio Kindle
6) Jerry Hughes
After watching Morgan Burnett last night, I wanted to revisit the draft from last year.

Looking back at my 2010 NFL Draft Board, the Niners would have come up with Morgan at 49.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM ]
1) Nate Allen
2) Morgan Burnett
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
4) Arrelious Benn
5) Sergio Kindle
6) Jerry Hughes
After watching Morgan Burnett last night, I wanted to revisit the draft from last year.

Looking back at my 2010 NFL Draft Board, the Niners would have come up with Morgan at 49.

Burnett looked good last night and also looked good before he got hurt last season
I'm lazy, so MadDog or OTC, plz give me a hint what game I should watch today
Originally posted by communist:
I'm lazy, so MadDog or OTC, plz give me a hint what game I should watch today

South Carolina vs Georgia. SEC football s**ts on the Crap-10
Thx for the hint, was a nice game.

Could our experts open a "Gameday to Gameday thread" where they discuss every gameday with a focus on draft prospects? I dont want to see your top50 list at the of the season, I want to see your arguments during the season.
[ Edited by communist on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:10 AM ]

First Round- Aldon Smith- C grade
Smith was the best OLB left on the board when the Niners selected. He does present a need for the team. However, the team intended on selecting a QB along the way, and missed on grabbing the best one in the draft, Blaine Gabbert. Instead, the team selected Colin Kaepernick, who may not be the best fit for the WCO.

As for Smith, he is a good straight ahead rush backer. At the same time, he is not an elite athlete, which is what you want from a guy this high on the board. Smith's shuttle numbers at the combine, which show change of direction skills, was amongst the worst for the DE class. He only pressed the bar 20 times, which is not horrible for a guy with a long wingspan, but still mediocre. Smith's long jump, which measures explosiveness, was average, and his cone time was poor.

So, while he posted good numbers at Missouri, and certainly has a big upside, the current Smith is not an elite Smith, and to me, too risky for the 7th overall. Can he be great? Maybe. But, once again, the team is not drafting in the 15th, or 20th, or 25th spot. This is the 7th overall. Just not good value.

And that's all you need to know about this thread.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Yes because if you look at tape and not shuttle and three cone drill numbers you will see that Blaine Gabbert was a very average QB in college who was over drafted and will have a long hard road to be successful in the NFL whereas as Aldon Smith played like an all star on a broken leg.

Some players can overcome mediocre measurables, such as the case with Aldon Smith in his rookie year (let's wait on a few more years), Shady McCoy and a few others. I think the matrix of having an elite talent with elite measurables for a 34 backer for a top ten pick is warranted. We will soon see if my criticism of Smith going into the draft, his ability to drop into coverage, will end up not being an issue. It was in 2011 and the team played him almost exclusively as a 43 DE in passing downs. Now that he is expected to be a three down player, we will get a better picture if his future as an OLB.

As for Gabbert, both OTC and I graded Him as the best QB in the draft class. In fact, both of our final QB rankings were the same: 1. Gabbert 2. Dalton 3. Newton. Many GM also had him as the number one QB in the league. We will have to see who emerges as the best from this, but both Newton and Dalton appear to have an upper hand on Gabbert and Kaepernick and others now.

As you know from multiple posts, Watt was the top player on my board at 7, and I did not select a QB in my draft until Tyrod Taylor in the 5th round. Taylor had a solid preseason, and Smith played well a QB for the Niners. I thought CK was a reach in the early second round when it relates to future NFL success.

Nobody is claiming to be perfect in prognostication, and you appear to have great joy in attempting to discredit my work by analyzing one player. I encourage you to look at my body of work. I don't think you will have the same negative sentiment.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Some players can overcome mediocre measurables, such as the case with Aldon Smith in his rookie year (let's wait on a few more years), Shady McCoy and a few others. I think the matrix of having an elite talent with elite measurables for a 34 backer for a top ten pick is warranted. We will soon see if my criticism of Smith going into the draft, his ability to drop into coverage, will end up not being an issue. It was in 2011 and the team played him almost exclusively as a 43 DE in passing downs. Now that he is expected to be a three down player, we will get a better picture if his future as an OLB.

As for Gabbert, both OTC and I graded Him as the best QB in the draft class. In fact, both of our final QB rankings were the same: 1. Gabbert 2. Dalton 3. Newton. Many GM also had him as the number one QB in the league. We will have to see who emerges as the best from this, but both Newton and Dalton appear to have an upper hand on Gabbert and Kaepernick and others now.

As you know from multiple posts, Watt was the top player on my board at 7, and I did not select a QB in my draft until Tyrod Taylor in the 5th round. Taylor had a solid preseason, and Smith played well a QB for the Niners. I thought CK was a reach in the early second round when it relates to future NFL success.

Nobody is claiming to be perfect in prognostication, and you appear to have great joy in attempting to discredit my work by analyzing one player. I encourage you to look at my body of work. I don't think you will have the same negative sentiment.

NOBODY can be right all the time, we all get that. Our issue with you is that you won't admit when you're wrong. For example, you rated Gabbert higher than Cam and Andy. Let's be real. I know it's only been a year but Gabbert is looking like a bust and Cam and Andy look like they're gonna be great players. Again, I'll give you a few more years for you to try and be correct about that. But instead of saying you may have been wrong about Gabbert, you say how you and OTC and other GM's had Gabbert rated higher than Cam so therefore we can't rag on you because other people were wrong.

If you're gonna bring up the times you're right, don't get butt-hurt when we bring up the times you're wrong. Simple as that. And don't say you don't bring up the times you would have been right. You did it in this very thread.

1) Nate Allen
2) Morgan Burnett
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
4) Arrelious Benn
5) Sergio Kindle
6) Jerry Hughes

Some players can overcome mediocre measurables, such as the case with Aldon Smith in his rookie year (let's wait on a few more years),

Stopped reading right there... Aldon's athleticism in your view wasnt shown at the combine, but put on any film and you'll see a 6'4 263 beast with absurdly long arms, playing violent with his hand and bursting to the QB. What tells you more... 20 reps on the bench press, or film of Aldon exploding into an OT so hard he almost lifts the dude off the ground and drives him into the QB. A 3 cone drill, or tracking down QB's/RB's running away from 5 yards out to make the tackle.

Film > Combine, and Aldon had plenty of great film showing his elite athleticism.

Share 49ersWebzone