There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Peter King on the 49ers and Tim Tebow ...

Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by ninerdavenj:
Saw this on Sports Illustrated in the Monday Morning Quarterback edition. I have always admired King and think he has a very good knack for the pulse of the NFL. I have to say after reading this I am intrigued ...

2. I think, if I had to guess right now, I'd say the best shot for Tim Tebow on draft day is San Francisco, at number 13. No proof. No solid evidence. Just this: The Niners gave a tepid endorsement to Alex Smith as their quarterback of 2010 after the season; and Mike Singletary didn't draft him; and Singletary is going to fall in love with Tebow once he meets him after the season; and Tebow is the kind of winner that Singletary has preached he wants since he took the job from Mike Nolan in mid-2008. After Singletary meets Tebow at the Scouting Combine, this is my prediction of his reaction: He'll turn to GM Scot McCloughan and say, "That's my guy. We've got to have him.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb/4.html#ixzz0cz4VWakP
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

The flip side of this might be that the 49ers are the least likely team to take Tebow given that Tebow is coming out of the same system as Smith and Smith's passing numbers at Utah his final year were actually better than any year Tebow was at Florida. The 49ers know better than anyone how Tebow was taught and what to expect from him coming in in terms of being ready to play in the NFL. Regardless of whether you are pro or anti-Smith, we can all agree that he had a ways to go to be NFL-ready when he came out in the draft. With those struggles in mind, unless Tebow just blows people away at the Combine and in the individual workouts leading up to the draft, I just do not see the 49ers being interested in the 1st round. At the same time, if he's still there, I bet some team at the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd round takes a flier on him. Either way, I would be surprised if the 49ers were in the mix.

I don't think you can use the argument that Tebow was in the same system as Smith therefore Tebow will not be good. For example look at Jeff Tedford's system at Cal. A few years ago everyone thought a Tedford QB would not amount to anything in the NFL but now look at Aaron Rodgers.
Saw this on Sports Illustrated in the Monday Morning Quarterback edition. I have always admired King and think he has a very good knack for the pulse of the NFL. I have to say after reading this I am intrigued ...

2. I think, if I had to guess right now, I'd say the best shot for Tim Tebow on draft day is San Francisco, at number 13. No proof. No solid evidence. Just this: The Niners gave a tepid endorsement to Alex Smith as their quarterback of 2010 after the season; and Mike Singletary didn't draft him; and Singletary is going to fall in love with Tebow once he meets him after the season; and Tebow is the kind of winner that Singletary has preached he wants since he took the job from Mike Nolan in mid-2008. After Singletary meets Tebow at the Scouting Combine, this is my prediction of his reaction: He'll turn to GM Scot McCloughan and say, "That's my guy. We've got to have him.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb/4.html#ixzz0cz4VWakP

The flip side of this might be that the 49ers are the least likely team to take Tebow given that Tebow is coming out of the same system as Smith and Smith's passing numbers at Utah his final year were actually better than any year Tebow was at Florida. The 49ers know better than anyone how Tebow was taught and what to expect from him coming in in terms of being ready to play in the NFL. Regardless of whether you are pro or anti-Smith, we can all agree that he had a ways to go to be NFL-ready when he came out in the draft. With those struggles in mind, unless Tebow just blows people away at the Combine and in the individual workouts leading up to the draft, I just do not see the 49ers being interested in the 1st round. At the same time, if he's still there, I bet some team at the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd round takes a flier on him. Either way, I would be surprised if the 49ers were in the mix.

i agree the 9ers won't take another shotgun college QB. if they take tebow it will be because he falls into the 3rd-through 5th rounds. i could see singletary "falling in love" with tebow though, he is the typical singletary type of guy but that's not going to get him into the 1st round.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

I don't think you can use the argument that Tebow was in the same system as Smith therefore Tebow will not be good. For example look at Jeff Tedford's system at Cal. A few years ago everyone thought a Tedford QB would not amount to anything in the NFL but now look at Aaron Rodgers.

I didn't say Tebow wouldn't be good. I said the 49ers would have greater concerns than most teams given their experience with Smith and it would likely scare them away at least for the 1st round. They know first hand about the footwork and "under center" issues. They know first hand that Tebow never went through read progressions. They know what it will take to get him fundamentally right for the NFL. A team that can afford to develop him over a couple of years and use him here and there for specific Wildcat type plays is more likely to be willing to take a chance in the 1st round. The 49ers are not that team.

Think of it this way, not withstanding Aaron Rodgers, do you think the Ravens might be a little hesitant to pick another Cal QB in the 1st round after the experience with Kyle Boller?

Is Peter King an idiot or what? Tebow at 13. If that happens I will be furious. Tebow at 13. Give me a break. King is almost making fun of Sing here. So Sing is just going to fall in love with the kid and totally forget that he isn't a 1st round talent but just select him anyways.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'd take Tim Tebow on my team any day of the week, regardless of who coached him or what system he came from. I wouldn't take him the 1st round though, and might not even take him in the 2nd either (he's obviously going to need a few years to develop)....but if he slipped to the 3rd somehow, I'd definitely draft him.

Sure... but a 3rd round pick is FAR different than King saying we could take him with the 13th pick of the draft. The Niners suck so bad with 3rd rd picks that one more wont kill them anyway. If the Niners take Tebow with their first rd pick Scott will join Sabean's status as inept GMs.

haha, I knew you'd find a way to take a shot at Sabean, even when discussing the 49ers.

Yah, there's no way on this earth or any other planet we select Tebow in the 1st round.
I understand his logic for saying this, but I really hope we don't take Tebow in the 1st round. I probably wouldn't even take him in the 2nd, but whatever...
I'd take Tim Tebow on my team any day of the week, regardless of who coached him or what system he came from. I wouldn't take him the 1st round though, and might not even take him in the 2nd either (he's obviously going to need a few years to develop)....but if he slipped to the 3rd somehow, I'd definitely draft him.

Sure... but a 3rd round pick is FAR different than King saying we could take him with the 13th pick of the draft. The Niners suck so bad with 3rd rd picks that one more wont kill them anyway. If the Niners take Tebow with their first rd pick Scott will join Sabean's status as inept GMs.

haha, I knew you'd find a way to take a shot at Sabean, even when discussing the 49ers.

Yah, there's no way on this earth or any other planet we select Tebow in the 1st round.

In what round do you think the 49ers would pull the trigger if he was there? Second? Third? He probably wouldn't realistically fall any farther than that. Or do you think the 49ers wouldn't pick him in any round?

[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:28:37 ]

I dont think the Niners would even take Sam Bradford at #13 let alone Tebow. I can just imagine the webzone if that happened though.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I didn't say Tebow wouldn't be good. I said the 49ers would have greater concerns than most teams given their experience with Smith and it would likely scare them away at least for the 1st round. They know first hand about the footwork and "under center" issues. They know first hand that Tebow never went through read progressions. They know what it will take to get him fundamentally right for the NFL. A team that can afford to develop him over a couple of years and use him here and there for specific Wildcat type plays is more likely to be willing to take a chance in the 1st round. The 49ers are not that team.

Think of it this way, not withstanding Aaron Rodgers, do you think the Ravens might be a little hesitant to pick another Cal QB in the 1st round after the experience with Kyle Boller?

Or Bengals with Akili Smith, or the Texans with David Carr, or the Lions with Joey Harrington?

Tedford's QBs are 1 for 5 if you don't count Dilfer.
that's seriously the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time, and his reasoning is absurd.
Normally, I don't mind King's articles, but this time he is out of his tree. Not a chance in my opinion, but you never know. Remember, Tebow is a very religious guy just like Coach Sing. Don't think that the equates to a top 15 pick, but stranger things have happened.
I wonder if he will have the bible verses under his eyes when he meets with Singletary.
I wouldnt mind taking him in the 3rd, but I'm sure Jacksonville would take him before us in the 3rd. Otherwise, our picks from the 1st and 2nd rounds should go to BPA at our need positions. It's time we go to the playoffs next year. Your team is only as good as your weakest link.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:50:12 ]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'll slit my wrists if we draft Tebow in the 1st.