LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Peter King on the 49ers and Tim Tebow ...

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
We should've taken Peter King's advice...at least we'd have a QB of the future on the roster.

Did you watch his game today? I know he had the stats but he was passing against the worst secondary in the league, his receivers did a lot for him, he threw a ton of screens, and he had some awful throws.

Dude, seriously? This is his second NFL start and he has a pretty bad team around him...are you expecting a Tom Brady performance? The guy has made plays in his first 2 games that I haven't seen in these parts since the Joe/Steve/Jeff days (not to mention, our WCO was all about our WRs making plays for the QB, and we screened teams to death, so this style of offense is nothing new).

Honestly, what are you expecting out of him?

Orton was near the league lead and on a record pace with that team around him. They hype surrounding Tebow is ridiculous here in Denver but he want to win and is driven like no other. Heart is something they can't measure at the combine and with that being said I wouldn't have wanted him in the first rd. Maybe the 2nd.

Peter King sucks. Look at his picks every week which will tell you about his judgement.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
We should've taken Peter King's advice...at least we'd have a QB of the future on the roster.

Did you watch his game today? I know he had the stats but he was passing against the worst secondary in the league, his receivers did a lot for him, he threw a ton of screens, and he had some awful throws.

Dude, seriously? This is his second NFL start and he has a pretty bad team around him...are you expecting a Tom Brady performance? The guy has made plays in his first 2 games that I haven't seen in these parts since the Joe/Steve/Jeff days (not to mention, our WCO was all about our WRs making plays for the QB, and we screened teams to death, so this style of offense is nothing new).

1. I'm just pointing out that his great performance wasn't as great as the stats say.

2. You're a draft guy so you know you can't call someone the "future" after one good game. If you could then Troy Smith is on his way to the hall of fame.
Let's see how he continues to develop. I was impressed more last week with him then I was with him vs the Texans. he missed a lot of easy throws in that game, and you just can't take huge numbers against the Texans that seriously. What I did see form watching the game is that they want to play harder and win for this guy. and that's something that can't be measured. His throwing motion is still terrible but if it works for him then roll with it.

[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 29, 2010 at 08:07:25 ]

1. I'm just pointing out that his great performance wasn't as great as the stats say.

2. You're a draft guy so you know you can't call someone the "future" after one good game. If you could then Troy Smith is on his way to the hall of fame.

1.) I'm saying, it's his second career start. He doesn't have to be great right now so long as he's finding ways to win. He didn't quite get it done in his first start, but played well overall. He found a way to get it done in his second start and make some pretty solid NFL throws (not to mention some of the runs he made for key first downs, to avoid pressure and of course, scoring runs).

2.) If you draft a QB in the 1st round, he's absolutely your future. Troy Smith doesn't fit that criteria (apples and oranges). Now, I don't know if Tebow (who's actually had 2 good games in his first 2 starts....not just 1 as you say) will pan out over the long run, but if you don't think he's the QB of the future in Denver, you're not following football very closely. Btw, calling someone the QB of the future doesn't mean they've been crowned HOF material...it simply means they've invested enough in you and/or that you've shown enough on-field promise to be given a shot at leading the team (either now or sometime very soon). It's more of a projection than a conclusion.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 29, 2010 at 00:50:15 ]

1.) I'm saying, it's his second career start. He doesn't have to be great right now so long as he's finding ways to win. He didn't quite get it done in his first start, but played well overall. He found a way to get it done in his second start and make some pretty solid NFL throws (not to mention some of the runs he made for key first downs, to avoid pressure and of course, scoring runs).

2.) If you draft a QB in the 1st round, he's absolutely your future. Troy Smith doesn't fit that criteria (apples and oranges). Now, I don't know if Tebow (who's actually had 2 good games in his first 2 starts....not just 1 as you say) will pan out over the long run, but if you don't think he's the QB of the future in Denver, you're not following football very closely. Btw, calling someone the QB of the future doesn't mean they've been crowned HOF material...it simply means they've invested enough in you and/or that you've shown enough on-field promise to be given a shot at leading the team (either now or sometime very soon). It's more of a projection than a conclusion.

I agree with you completely, Ghost, but people will always hate on the guy, for reasons I can never understand. The passion and will to win that this guy brings on to the field gets me pumped to watch him play. A lot of people were down on him but he's shown he can play in this league and get better. His passes have been pretty accurate and he's got an arm to throw it deep. I'm really rooting for this guy.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I agree with you completely, Ghost, but people will always hate on the guy, for reasons I can never understand. The passion and will to win that this guy brings on to the field gets me pumped to watch him play. A lot of people were down on him but he's shown he can play in this league and get better. His passes have been pretty accurate and he's got an arm to throw it deep. I'm really rooting for this guy.
Tebow, and guys like him that can run and absorb the punishment, will become more and more the model for NFL QBs. As to his throwing motion, compare him to Philip Rivers who has one of the worst motions in history yet puts up great numbers.

The love/hate relationship with Tebow is more related to his off-field image than his on-field performance. His SB commercial was one of the most popular yet generated more hate mail than any other...a sad commentary on a nation that purports to be "tolerant."
Originally posted by dj43:

Tebow, and guys like him that can run and absorb the punishment, will become more and more the model for NFL QBs. As to his throwing motion, compare him to Philip Rivers who has one of the worst motions in history yet puts up great numbers.

The love/hate relationship with Tebow is more related to his off-field image than his on-field performance. His SB commercial was one of the most popular yet generated more hate mail than any other...a sad commentary on a nation that purports to be "tolerant."

Yes I agree. Last year, I remember so many posters giving him heat because he was proud to be a virgin

The guy wants to win. He wears his heart on his sleeve when he plays and brings leadership to the team. That's more than we can say about Alex.

By nature, people are haters. Anyone who objectively watched Tebow in college could see that with the right coaching, he would find a way to be successful in the NFL.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

By nature, people are haters. Anyone who objectively watched Tebow in college could see that with the right coaching, he would find a way to be successful in the NFL.

I've criticized just about everything he was as a passer, but the one reason what I loved about him was his fire and leadership, two key things missing from Alex Smith.

I was one of very few in this forum that supported Tebow. I'm not gonna jump the gun and say he'll be a pro bowler for years to come, but he definitely has the skills to be successful in the NFL as a QB.
Share 49ersWebzone