LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 243 users in the forums

Graham Harrell

Looks good it all depends on how who we get in the earlier rounds.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Size (or lack thereof) and system will place Harrell in the 5th probably. He could be better than that, no doubt -- and if he is, some lucky team will get a steal of a deal. Highest I see him going (at this point) is late 4th.

While Harrell looks like a better prospect than Kliff Kingsbury I would pass on him. Leach has a history of QB's (KK,Tim Couch,Josh Heupel amongst others) putting up good numbers but not panning out at the next level. I'd much rather Dan Lefevour Josh Freeman or Rhett Bomar over Harrell.
i realy don't understand the 'size' issue with Graham, the guy is legitimately over 6'2" and about 200 pounds.
As far as system is concerned, he plays under center about 5 to 10 plays a game, in fact the raiders scored a td on their second play of the game on a 55 yard play action td pass from under center.
Leach said Graham is better than all the guys he coached at OU and UK etc, so while he does throw all the time, I would say he is better than Colt Brennon was.
One negative about him is that he's had an excellent offensive line the entire time he has played, he very rarely gets hit.
He has only been sacked 3 times in 8 games this season, and remember Tech has passes about 40 times a game, that is amazing... no telling what will happen if he comes to a pro team where he might get hit all the time.
I can say that he is the most accurate QB in the big12, not so much in total completion percentage but in putting the ball in tough places and hitting the tight windows.
That said, there are better pro style QBs out there, but he'll be a great steal if he is still there in the last few rounds.
you can have a great line all you want but im sure there were plenty of times where he was responsible for not getting sacked...he doesnt hold on to the ball, has that mental clock goin on, great pocket presence (knowing when to step up)...sounds like the kind of qb that we need...

i wouldnt mind drafting MANKIND also!!! he is a beast!!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Andre Ware, David Klingler, Timmy Chang, and on and on.. These run n shoot QBs always put up great stats in college, and suck in the pros. No thanks in any round.
What i am most impressed about Harrell is the calmness he has in the pocket
Originally posted by 9rFan84:
Size (or lack thereof) and system will place Harrell in the 5th probably. He could be better than that, no doubt -- and if he is, some lucky team will get a steal of a deal. Highest I see him going (at this point) is late 4th.

Hey OTC, when you say his size, or lack thereof were a bit of a knock, what did you mean? I only ask because he's listed at 6-3 205. I didn't think that was that bad. He could definatley bulk up a bit, but I thought that was a pretty good size for a QB, no?

Harrell is generously listed at that height, but he is not 6-3. He's barely 6-2. To be clear, I think his size will have very limited impact on where he is selected and it'll fall more on that system and other qualities NFL teams might feel he lacks (he's not completely immobile, but he's certainly pretty limited -- In the NFL he will be at least). There's just a lot of QB's ahead of him in terms of measurables like Arm strength to go along with the height and weight/bulk.

Just more reasons why teams might overlook a good prospect. Sky's the limit on Harrell's potential -- but will it translate to the NFL? We'll have to see.
Originally posted by evil:

While Harrell looks like a better prospect than Kliff Kingsbury I would pass on him. Leach has a history of QB's (KK,Tim Couch,Josh Heupel amongst others) putting up good numbers but not panning out at the next level. I'd much rather Dan Lefevour Josh Freeman or Rhett Bomar over Harrell.

As would I. LeFevour is one of my favorites. And as many know.. I'm very high on Mike Rielly from Central Washington right now.
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Harrel is by far the better qb. I would give him a 10 if it weren't for th fact that he does not play in a pro style offense.

He has all the tools. If he would have decided to go to Texas instead of T. Tech, Mccoy would be on the bench right now.

McCoy is nice, but Harrel is the man.

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Are you serious? I just watched the game, and even though McCoy lost, he still impressed me. Hell part of the reason his team lost, besides the weak O-line play, was all the drops.
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:
Are you serious? I just watched the game, and even though McCoy lost, he still impressed me. Hell part of the reason his team lost, besides the weak O-line play, was all the drops.

McCoy is not bad, but Harrel has all the tools. McCoy is small and decent arm strength. Harrel has a cannon.
Texas Defense supposedly > Tech Defense

If that's the case, then how can you say that McCoy was better TODAY. He wasn't.

I loved what I saw from Harrell. McCoy is an outstanding quarterback, but here's the thing:

These two both operate out of the spread. Both have shown they were clutch. But when they played each other, only one walked out with a win, and that was Harrell.

Today Harrell was better. Does that mean he'll be better in the pros? Not necessarily, but he could. Right now, McCoy will still need another year. He and Bradford next year will probably jockey for being the 1st QB's taken, but Graham Harrell today just made his stock skyrocket.

Here's to hoping that Tech crushes Oklahoma State.
McCoy is far more accurate! And he also has a strong arm. I say McCoy is better.
Originally posted by PTulini:
McCoy is far more accurate! And he also has a strong arm. I say McCoy is better.

both have strong arms, accurate, and mobile... = my dream QB
Share 49ersWebzone