LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 17/18

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 1251alex:
was reading through some soccer forums earlier today to find out more about this, and apparently Royston Drenthe said he would always find it highly uncomfortable to play against Messi, not because he was so talented, but because he would always hurl racial slurs his way. I think the paper that was quoted was Marca, and I believe thats a Madrid based paper, so who knows if its true.

Yea - I'll take the words of countless players of all colors who played with and against him and commented on how nice and humble Messi is (for a player who may very well be greatest of all time). I remember that time when Spain was after Messi. They went after his character and tried to scare him to leave Barcelona with the tax fraud charge.

The accusations don't pass the common sense test. Barca have had several high profile black players during the last 10 years and NONE of them had anything but great things to say about Messi's character after they left the club. If he was spewing racial slurs on the pitch - surely some of them must have heard. After hearing them, they may still respect his game but they won't respect him as a person.

Dani Alves and Neymar are his closest friends on the roster. Ronaldinho was his closest friend on the first team when Messi was promoted. None of them will respect him if what Marca reported was anywhere close to being the truth.

Anyway, that's what I think and I'm biased. But, it makes no sense for so many players and coaches to go out of their way to say nice things about his personality.
[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 7, 2015 at 12:13 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Janitor:
It's only a friendly tourney, but it's still nice to lift a trophy at the end

Meh, we already lifted 2 this preseason. Helped Bayern that Benzema and Cristiano didn't even make the trip, and Bale didn't even play in this match. Kroos looked good though, can tell he really wanted to score versus his old team. Isco as always was great. Just don't know how Benitez can sit him this year, he's been our best player all preseason.

Lewandowski whiffing on an easy goal was bad, luckily he made up for it in the end. Costa looked really good for you guys, good signing by Bayern.

All in all, hope we meet up later in the CL.

Yes...this! Please...please meet each other in the QFs.

What's up with ManU desperately tryin' to signing anyone they can from Real? Apparently they've tried to sign Ronaldo, Bale, Ramos, Pepe...

Will probably settle for Pedro - to replace Di Maria lol

ManU forgot that they are Real's minor league team and has it twisted. They've lost their minds this season thinking they can get everyone at Real to come there. One offer they gave Real was De Gea for Navas + Ramos and still wanted 30 million Euros lmao.

lol this. I honestly didn't know Van Gaal was this delusional. This is what he has always done - he insults the best players on his team...so they want to leave. To, replace them - he goes after bigger players...who will clash with him even more. It makes zero sense.

He is doing same s**t in summer now. Goes after players from big clubs...(like Bayern)...they tell him to f**k off already - so his obvious response is to - start bidding on players from the biggest club? lol...even ManCity fans are making fun of ManU tryin' to sign guys they have no shot at. He has no fukin' plan - just tryin' to keep his name in the media.

Lol this is so true. I was laughing my ass off when reports were saying he was after Müller. No way in hell he ever had a chance of taking him
sounding like Imma have a real BPL team to root for this season

lol. Messi would get his ass beat so hard if he wasnt on the pitch.
[ Edited by 1251alex on Aug 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
EPL starts today, who you guys got winning the league?

Chelsea, with Arsenal as my darkhorse team. If Arsenal can find a striker (won't be Benzema), think they could threaten.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I'm going with Arsenal and Chelsea battling it out. I also agree - Arsenal is going to really good this season. I'm rooting for them.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Who?
I'm going with Arsenal and Chelsea battling it out. I also agree - Arsenal is going to really good this season. I'm rooting for them.

Rooting for Arsenal also, though I hate rooting against Falcao at Chelsea. Just can't root for Mourinho, or Chelsea in general.
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Who?

I'm going to assume it's West Brom, who are about to sign Rondon. Correct?

Chelsea, because they will prove they know how to defend.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Cech - what was he doing?!? Arsenal disappoints again...
[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

Yeah that was unlike him. Everyone has a bad game though. I remember Neuer had a real s**tty one against Leverkusen last season. Two goals he should have easily stopped.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Yeah that was unlike him. Everyone has a bad game though. I remember Neuer had a real s**tty one against Leverkusen last season. Two goals he should have easily stopped.

True though Cech is past his prime. I do expect him and Arsenal to bounce back.

Chelsea looked ordinary as well.

So did ManU though they managed to win. LVG is going hard after Benzema now. So is Arsenal...maybe?!?
[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 10, 2015 at 4:01 AM ]

True though Cech is past his prime. I do expect him and Arsenal to bounce back.

Chelsea looked ordinary as well.

So did ManU though they managed to win. LVG is going hard after Benzema now. So is Arsenal...maybe?!?
LVG wants anyone from Real Madrid, even if it's the waterboy. He's not getting Benzema. Arsenal would be the more likely destination, and that won't happen either. LVG is about to get Pedro isn't he?
Share 49ersWebzone