LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 17/18

Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
they need trades in soccer. otherwise it's like selling brady, trout, lebron, just for money.

they have trades. but nobody does them anymore except MLS. Teams would rather have the money to either balance the books or invest it ina player from another team. Even when they do trade players it is never an outright swap. They usually decide to do two separate transactions in cash. Finances come into play alot in soccer.
[ Edited by 1251alex on Jul 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Bayern 14/15 recap

Bundesliga champions
Bounced in the semis of the champions league and DFB pokal.

Losses: schweinstager, shaqiri, weisser.

Gains: Alonso, Costa, Vidal

I'm pleased with how the season went. I think if we had been healthy we would have had a double, and had a hell of a match for the treble with barca. That's the game though.

Much as I love Basti for all he did for the team, I think we have improved from a personnel standpoint.

If we win the bundesliga again this year it will be 4 years in a row, which has never been accomplished. Good challenge
who can realistically challenge Bayern in the bundesliga? Wolfsburg maybe? but I doubt they have the squad to compete on two fronts.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
who can realistically challenge Bayern in the bundesliga? Wolfsburg maybe? but I doubt they have the squad to compete on two fronts.

nobody, it's why Bundesliga rarely attracts my attention. At least in Spain you know Barca and Real have each other to contend against and there's always someone lurking, Bayern just has much more talent than every other team and they are able to put it together. They're fun to watch in CL though.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by vrabbit:

nobody, it's why Bundesliga rarely attracts my attention. At least in Spain you know Barca and Real have each other to contend against and there's always someone lurking, Bayern just has much more talent than every other team and they are able to put it together. They're fun to watch in CL though.

I don't agree with that at all.

Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach....all very good teams with a lot of talent. Wolfsburg had one of the best players in the entire bundesliga last year in De Bruyne.

Bayern v Dortmund is easily the biggest rivalry in the league, and aside from a down year this past year, Dortmund has always finished high.

Bayern has been dominant the last 3 years, but to claim no one can compete against them is absolutely false.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach....all very good teams with a lot of talent. Wolfsburg had one of the best players in the entire bundesliga last year in De Bruyne.

Bayern v Dortmund is easily the biggest rivalry in the league, and aside from a down year this past year, Dortmund has always finished high.

Bayern has been dominant the last 3 years, but to claim no one can compete against them is absolutely false.

Bayern's 3 consecutive league titles have been won by an average of 18 points (6 wins), the closest being last's season's 10-point margin. I love the Bayern-Dortmund rivalry by the way. I didn't say other teams don't have a lot of talent but Bayern's roster is clearly above everyone elses.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

Bayern's 3 consecutive league titles have been won by an average of 18 points (6 wins), the closest being last's season's 10-point margin. I love the Bayern-Dortmund rivalry by the way. I didn't say other teams don't have a lot of talent but Bayern's roster is clearly above everyone elses.

I don't think averaging it out is fair, because they had one season where they were absurdly far ahead, so that inflates the statistic.

If bundesliga doesn't really catch your attention, I don't think you're the best judge of the talent in a league you aren't interested in lol

I don't think averaging it out is fair, because they had one season where they were absurdly far ahead, so that inflates the statistic.

If bundesliga doesn't really catch your attention, I don't think you're the best judge of the talent in a league you aren't interested in lol

I watched a lot of it while Juan Arango was there with M'gladbach.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Yea...not a big fan of Bundesliga. Bayern is obviously elite and will be one of the top teams in any league. They're fun to watch (when beating other teams lol) and Dortmund was good...but I don't know if they were a truly elite or over-achievers. Plus, I don't understand how players left Dortmund for Bayern. When Figo left for Real - ppl were so angry. I was scared for his life lol

I think there is a lot of talent in Bundesliga but there isn't really interesting story lines for someone who isn't from Germany. That's why they don't get as much traction outside Germany as other leagues do.

Serie A has interesting stories (and was the best league not too long ago), EPL have a few (though elite teams aren't really elite - performances in European cups for years have proven that - but it's the most competitive league - so that makes it fun to follow) and obviously Real v. Barca generates the most headlines - and Atletico is pretty good and even the 4th team from Liga seems to do well in European tournaments.

But, none of this takes anything away from Bayern. They're truly elite and the only team that scares me in Champions League.
Originally posted by 4ML:

Yea...not a big fan of Bundesliga. Bayern is obviously elite and will be one of the top teams in any league. They're fun to watch (when beating other teams lol) and Dortmund was good...but I don't know if they were a truly elite or over-achievers. Plus, I don't understand how players left Dortmund for Bayern. When Figo left for Real - ppl were so angry. I was scared for his life lol

I think there is a lot of talent in Bundesliga but there isn't really interesting story lines for someone who isn't from Germany. That's why they don't get as much traction outside Germany as other leagues do.

Serie A has interesting stories (and was the best league not too long ago), EPL have a few (though elite teams aren't really elite - performances in European cups for years have proven that - but it's the most competitive league - so that makes it fun to follow) and obviously Real v. Barca generates the most headlines - and Atletico is pretty good and even the 4th team from Liga seems to do well in European tournaments.

But, none of this takes anything away from Bayern. They're truly elite and the only team that scares me in Champions League.

Problem with the Bundesliga is that Bayern is so far ahead of everybody and it doesn't really have a historical rivalry that draws interest to neutral viewers from outside of the league. Theres no Real-Barca, ManU-Liverpool, Juve-Inter etc...

Problem with the Bundesliga is that Bayern is so far ahead of everybody and it doesn't really have a historical rivalry that draws interest to neutral viewers from outside of the league. Theres no Real-Barca, ManU-Liverpool, Juve-Inter etc...

I disagree, Bayern-Dortmund is up there with those
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I used to think that but with Gotze and Lewandowski leaving in back to back years (former leaving few days before CL final IIRC) - and Reus likely to join Bayern next summer or for free in 2017...I can't say the same.

Top players aren't supposed to leave for your biggest rivals.

I used to think that but with Gotze and Lewandowski leaving in back to back years (former leaving few days before CL final IIRC) - and Reus likely to join Bayern next summer or for free in 2017...I can't say the same.

If im not mistaken, Bayern-Dortmund is a more modern rivalry...and its looking like its fizzling out now due to Dortmund's shortcomings.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

If im not mistaken, Bayern-Dortmund is a more modern rivalry...and its looking like its fizzling out now due to Dortmund's shortcomings.

Yea...it's a newer rivalry compared to others you mentioned. It got serious maybe in the late 90s? Then Dortmund was crap for a few years - was bankrupt and had to bailed out during the last decade. 4-5 years ago Dortmund came back under Klopp before Bayern gave out huge raises to the best Dortmund players who left in a hurry - and destroyed Dortmund.

Klopp left and I'm not really sure where that leaves Dortmund.

I love the rivalries in EPL, Serie A, and La Liga. A lot more interesting for sure and you're right - lot of that has to do with long history between the rivals.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

lol don't the seahawks and 49ers swap players all the time?
Share 49ersWebzone