49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 787 users in the forums

Draft Grade

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Draft Grade

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not sure why people are puzzled about two RBs when basically every other RB is on a one year deal, injury prone or both. Now you get Sermon and Mitchell locked in on cheap four year deals.

Because unless Moster or Wilson are let go, it is highly unlikely two new RBs make our roster. Not sure on practice squad rules this year, but stashing a 6th round pick with elite testing on the practice squad may not pan out.

RB class is LOADED next year as well.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on May 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,274
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not sure why people are puzzled about two RBs when basically every other RB is on a one year deal, injury prone or both. Now you get Sermon and Mitchell locked in on cheap four year deals.

Because unless Moster or Wilson are let go, it is highly unlikely two new RBs make our roster. Not sure on practice squad rules this year, but stashing a 6th round pick with elite testing on the practice squad may not pan out.

RB class is LOADED next year as well.

I't pretty obvious that we have the type of HC and GM that would not pay EZE type of money to our RBs because KS believe that his offense can MAKES the RBs... I won't argue with that... but like you said, RB class is loaded next year so don't be surprise if we take TWO MORE in 2022 because Wilson may end up signing some place else (SEATTLE) while Mostert may just be in his last year..

I don't like the SERMON pick because I feel that we needed DE more than a RB..
Originally posted by 9moon:
I't pretty obvious that we have the type of HC and GM that would not pay EZE type of money to our RBs because KS believe that his offense can MAKES the RBs... I won't argue with that... but like you said, RB class is loaded next year so don't be surprise if we take TWO MORE in 2022 because Wilson may end up signing some place else (SEATTLE) while Mostert may just be in his last year..

I don't like the SERMON pick because I feel that we needed DE more than a RB..

Our front 7 is the biggest strength on our roster. Time to replenish in other areas
OL 4 first rounders and 1 second rounder. Also a HOF LT
DL 4 first rounders with good depth

get the QB position figured out and we are gold
I like this draft and gave it an A-, only because I preferred Fields over Lance. But overall, I felt that Jon and Kyle took a bold new direction with this draft on offense in a way that has been somewhat overlooked in the media by choosing a power running zone read QB, power running back, and powerful guards who can run the outside zone. Yes, we were always a run dominant offense. But it seems that we're doubling down on that approach to create an 11 on 11 style power running attack at a time when the other teams in our division are getting smaller and faster on offense drafting Air Raid type gadget guys like Moore, Eskridge and Atwell. It's a very interesting departure in style as we could've easily tried to match our rivals and gone for one of many YAC-oriented hybrid WR/HB types available.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not sure why people are puzzled about two RBs when basically every other RB is on a one year deal, injury prone or both. Now you get Sermon and Mitchell locked in on cheap four year deals.

Because unless Moster or Wilson are let go, it is highly unlikely two new RBs make our roster. Not sure on practice squad rules this year, but stashing a 6th round pick with elite testing on the practice squad may not pan out.

RB class is LOADED next year as well.

I't pretty obvious that we have the type of HC and GM that would not pay EZE type of money to our RBs because KS believe that his offense can MAKES the RBs... I won't argue with that... but like you said, RB class is loaded next year so don't be surprise if we take TWO MORE in 2022 because Wilson may end up signing some place else (SEATTLE) while Mostert may just be in his last year..

I don't like the SERMON pick because I feel that we needed DE more than a RB..

Uh, the reason you don't pay RBs the kinda money that Elliot, McCaffrey, and so many others have gotten is because they're the main back, we use a rotation, I would never pay a RB the kinda money they get, never. Plus injury issues, Elliot has them, Barkley did, McCaffrey too.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on May 2, 2021 at 8:17 PM ]
7 backs signed deals worth $12M or more a yr, Barkley will likely get that kinda money, the fact McCaffrey got $16M, and Kamara $15M is just ridiculous, aside from injury concerns, it's just stupid to pay RBs that kind of money, I get both can do more than run, but neither are guys that I'd consider bellcows, or workhorses.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,407
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
7 backs signed deals worth $12M or more a yr, Barkley will likely get that kinda money, the fact McCaffrey got $16M, and Kamara $15M is just ridiculous, aside from injury concerns, it's just stupid to pay RBs that kind of money, I get both can do more than run, but neither are guys that I'd consider bellcows, or workhorses.

Have you seen how many times they touch the ball?
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
7 backs signed deals worth $12M or more a yr, Barkley will likely get that kinda money, the fact McCaffrey got $16M, and Kamara $15M is just ridiculous, aside from injury concerns, it's just stupid to pay RBs that kind of money, I get both can do more than run, but neither are guys that I'd consider bellcows, or workhorses.

Have you seen how many times they touch the ball?
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
7 backs signed deals worth $12M or more a yr, Barkley will likely get that kinda money, the fact McCaffrey got $16M, and Kamara $15M is just ridiculous, aside from injury concerns, it's just stupid to pay RBs that kind of money, I get both can do more than run, but neither are guys that I'd consider bellcows, or workhorses.

Have you seen how many times they touch the ball?
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
7 backs signed deals worth $12M or more a yr, Barkley will likely get that kinda money, the fact McCaffrey got $16M, and Kamara $15M is just ridiculous, aside from injury concerns, it's just stupid to pay RBs that kind of money, I get both can do more than run, but neither are guys that I'd consider bellcows, or workhorses.

Have you seen how many times they touch the ball?

That also made me LMAO, I love him, forget his name, he was in the Hangover trilogy, loved him all of the movies he's been in, he's so damn funny.
Draft grades are stupid. Ask again in about 3 years
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
7 backs signed deals worth $12M or more a yr, Barkley will likely get that kinda money, the fact McCaffrey got $16M, and Kamara $15M is just ridiculous, aside from injury concerns, it's just stupid to pay RBs that kind of money, I get both can do more than run, but neither are guys that I'd consider bellcows, or workhorses.

Have you seen how many times they touch the ball?

I know, but it's ridiculous to see a RB make that kind of money, idk, maybe I'm wrong. I just wouldn't pay a RB anywhere near $12M a yr, not even $10M a yr.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I know, but it's ridiculous to see a RB make that kind of money, idk, maybe I'm wrong. I just wouldn't pay a RB anywhere near $12M a yr, not even $10M a yr.

I'd agree mostert and Wilson are both gone next year, tho I'd like to keep mostert at a salary comparable to Juice...even better if we can structure it to protect us against injury
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I know, but it's ridiculous to see a RB make that kind of money, idk, maybe I'm wrong. I just wouldn't pay a RB anywhere near $12M a yr, not even $10M a yr.

Smart NFL front offices know this to be true
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I know, but it's ridiculous to see a RB make that kind of money, idk, maybe I'm wrong. I just wouldn't pay a RB anywhere near $12M a yr, not even $10M a yr.

I'd agree mostert and Wilson are both gone next year, tho I'd like to keep mostert at a salary comparable to Juice...even better if we can structure it to protect us against injury

I think Mostert is the odd man out after 2021, and Wilson may be re-signed, I wouldn't be mad if we re-signed 1 or both of them, I think the most I'd go on a RB is $5M a yr, so that's right in Juice's area.

Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I know, but it's ridiculous to see a RB make that kind of money, idk, maybe I'm wrong. I just wouldn't pay a RB anywhere near $12M a yr, not even $10M a yr.

Smart NFL front offices know this to be true

Yep, these deals may eventually look terrible down the road, the Jets regretted the Bell signing. Now Zeke has injury issues, McCaffrey was hurt for part of 2020 as he was on IR, but did some back. Like I said above, the most I'd go is $5M a yr on a multi year deal, right in Juice's range. I like Mostert & Wilson, I'd love both back in 2022 if they can work it, but with Sermon & if Mitchell makes it, he should IMO, we'll have 2 backs signed thru 2024. I'm hoping Kyle refuses to get rid of any of the 5 backs, and keeps all of them, and says F it to a 3rd QB, just have one of the PS that they can bring up if needed, and if JG gets hurt, you put him on IR, hopefully they have the same COVID rules, which they should adopt permanently, so he's out only 3 weeks, then he can come back, and you can sign the QB from the PS to the active roster. Let's hope we don't get to that point, but it seems unlikely JG will stay healthy, I'll miss Jimmy, I love him, but he's not the QB for us, Lance can do it all, mobility, strong arm, great at processing at the LOS, where Jimmy doesn't have a strong arm, not mobile, and seem like he's set on throwing to 1 guy, he doesn't look around, plenty of times he's missed a wide open Kittle or Juice or another weapon.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone