LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 148 users in the forums

The Inevitable FA 2020 Ratings Thread (SO FAR!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Inevitable FA 2020 Ratings Thread (SO FAR!)

I realize that the Buckner trade was technically not an "FA" move. But, he was traded to free space to sign Ward and Armstead. So we should consider it as part of FA.

I go C-.

We've added no one, lost two of our biggest foundation pieces, and retained guys with health issues -- especially Ford.

Would Indy give up # 13 if we sent Ford over plus paid some of his salary?

Maybe.

Defo was a monster with over 800 snaps every season of his career. We will really miss that.

And sanders -- we couldn't cough up 8m? Give me a break.

I know FA ain't over but very disappointed so far.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Would Indy give up # 13 if we sent Ford over plus paid some of his salary?

Maybe.

It was no secret that Ballard was looking for a 3 tech this off-season. He believes the 3T drives his scheme and Indy were the perceived front runner for Chris Jones had he not been franchised.

They would not have dealt 13 for Ford, even if we paid part of his salary.
When you only add Tom Compton in free agency, sign ACL's and depth, sign Ward and AA and spend $6.4M on 2nd round tenders for Bourne and Breida, that's a Baalke-like off season.

#13 keeps it from an F.

Solid D.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM ]
I give the fans of this team an F. A bunch of whiners.
I give it an A
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
I give the fans of this team an F. A bunch of whiners.

You whining about fans whining is poetic.
They did the best they can do with limited resources. I'm pleased but I'm hoping we can sign some vets for cheap later. Hoping for suh and Robby if the price is right.
Originally posted by NCommand:
When you only add Tom Compton in free agency, sign ACL's and depth, sign Ward and AA and spend $6.4M on 2nd round tenders for Bourne and Breida, that's a Baalke-like off season.

#13 keeps it from an F.

Solid D.

Too, low, IMO, even tho i was sick when Buck was "traded". In fact he wasn't...it was a financial move as you said. And I was disappointed with #13.

However, that #13 becomes the 9th pick no non-QB talent and bet your boots that 4 QBs go before we pick. So now we are a top 9 pick on non QB talent, and i am liking the "forced trade" a lot more.

As for grade, initially it was D, but with 9th pick of non QB talent I'll rate it a C...maybe even a B...depends a whole lot on who we get. Can't ignore financial considerations , and Buck was just that. Man it killed me to see him go.
I don't know what fans were expecting to happen. It's obvious that the goal was to bring as many contributors back that were here last season. Granted, I didn't see the Buckner trade coming but to get such a premium pick out if it was a huge deal. Limited picks with limited resources equals not much action
I think they have a deal in the works and that's why they didn't bite on the Sanders signing.

Letting Buck go was a real bummer.

Maybe they draft DT Brown who is VERY highly rated if we get a WR [OBJ??] in FA?

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think they have a deal in the works and that's why they didn't bite on the Sanders signing.

Letting Buck go was a real bummer.

Maybe they draft DT Brown who is VERY highly rated if we get a WR [OBJ??] in FA?

If the "deal" is to get that tumor with a hairdo obj I'm going to vomit.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:

#13 keeps it from an F.

Solid D.

Too, low, IMO, even tho i was sick when Buck was "traded". In fact he wasn't...it was a financial move as you said. And I was disappointed with #13.

However, that #13 becomes the 9th pick no non-QB talent and bet your boots that 4 QBs go before we pick. So now we are a top 9 pick on non QB talent, and i am liking the "forced trade" a lot more.

As for grade, initially it was D, but with 9th pick of non QB talent I'll rate it a C...maybe even a B...depends a whole lot on who we get. Can't ignore financial considerations , and Buck was just that. Man it killed me to see him go.

Haha. And I loved the Buckner move immediately. I have the receipts.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
I don't know what fans were expecting to happen. It's obvious that the goal was to bring as many contributors back that were here last season. Granted, I didn't see the Buckner trade coming but to get such a premium pick out if it was a huge deal. Limited picks with limited resources equals not much action

Not true after the Buckner trade though.
I give it an A. If you want to pay Buckner and everybody else, take a look at what's happening to the Rams after overpaying everyone. The grading can go up or down depending on how they proceed on the draft, the most important part of the offseason for successful franchises. I can't wait what they do with #13 and #31. Even more, I want to see who'll be the next George Kittle, Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Jullian Taylor. Players we never heard about who'll become good or great players under this great coaching staff.

People giving F or D should learn more about this game.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
It's hard to sustain success in the NFL. That's why Brady/BB historic run was so phenomenal. Lynch and Shanahan knew they were going to lose some talent this offseason. Sanders expressed a desire to be closer to home. And we went with the cheaper option between AA and Buckner. In return, we got a cap friendly deal with AA + a 1st round pick vs. Buckner with >$5M higher salary per year and a 3rd round comp pick in 2022.

Anyone who compares this offseason to a Baalke strategy is just plain wrong. Our moves are not resulting in a roster purge. Instead, the locker room is holding strong and acknowledging that it's business. We have our FQB, trio of RBs, identified OL starters for 4 out of 5 positions, talent at DL and LB positions, and starters at S.

It sucks losing Buckner, but the defensive staff can get creative with Thomas, Street, Bosa, Armstead, Taylor, and others to play inside and outside.
Share 49ersWebzone