There are 124 users in the forums

Don't look now but the media hype is back

Originally posted by synigod:
How about if you lived through the Dennis Erickson era. yeah......... No bandwagon here.
That's the true test, we were turrible (shout out to Chuck) under Erickson and had no talent other then Eric Johnson.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
How about if you lived through the Dennis Erickson era. yeah......... No bandwagon here.

First game I ever went to was during the Erickson era. I grew up in Oregon and so I never got to go to a game. I went to college in Seattle and my best friend bought us tickets to go see the 49ers play against the Seahawks. That fateful day. September 26th, 2004.

If that date sounds familiar, it should. It was a day that will live in 49ers infamy. The day that signaled the end of the glorious era ushered in by the hands of Bill Walsh and handed off, like a baton, to 2 other succeeding coaches. Now dropped by the unqualified hands of a man poised to tear down a dynasty.

For 27 years, through 420 straight games, the 49ers had put points on the board in every game they played. Sometimes it was a mere 3 points, but they scored nonetheless. Through 4 coaches, hundreds of players, QB injuries, changed rules and in any weather they had found a way to score. There was always at least a brief moment in time, even during the most humiliating losses, where fans had a brief relief where they could cheer, feel what it is about the game we love, success at even it's smallest level.

But not on that day. On that day the streak ended. Fittingly, it was at the hands of one of the franchises best offensive minds - Mike Holmgren. That day the Seahawks beat the 49ers 34-0. There I was. Dressed head to toe in my 49ers gear, even so far as having a personalized Jersey, hat, shoes with 49ers stickers that I had put on them, underneath the jersey I was even wearing a 49ers sweatshirt as the temperature that day was a mere 53 degrees at kickoff. From high on my perch on the 3rd level I watched the last glimmer of gold that was left in a once proud franchise fade into darkness.

But, through it all. Through all the pains, trials and tribulations I have persevered, as many of you have, to root on and believe in our team that we can once again climb the mountain and sit atop the throne of the national football league and hoist the lombardi trophy once again.

Wow, That is quite a story. Thanks! I enjoyed reading that but it has brought up so many bad memories of that season. The best game was the first game, a beat down of the bears 49-7. All my dreams for a hopeful season were crushed shortly after.
Originally posted by English:

TDon and Erickson. Didnt get any worse than that.

Kind of makes Baalke look okay compared to TDon.

yep.
First game I ever went to was during the Erickson era. I grew up in Oregon and so I never got to go to a game. I went to college in Seattle and my best friend bought us tickets to go see the 49ers play against the Seahawks. That fateful day. September 26th, 2004.

Oof. I was a freshman in college and listening on the radio via the web. I remember that game very well. We had kept it close the prior couple games, but then the wheels came off in historic fashion. I may have shed a tear or two, don't really recall.

I went to the Pats game during the 2016 season. That particular game was fine despite the loss, but that was also a dumpster fire of a season, though not near on the level of 1999 and 2004.

Baalke is acruelly good compared to Donahue. Even his picks that flamed out strung together a few good seasons (Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, Kap, Kendall Hunter, etc). Donahue's draft picks combined in their full career didn't accomplish what those 3 did.

If that date sounds familiar, it should. It was a day that will live in 49ers infamy. The day that signaled the end of the glorious era ushered in by the hands of Bill Walsh and handed off, like a baton, to 2 other succeeding coaches. Now dropped by the unqualified hands of a man poised to tear down a dynasty.

For 27 years, through 420 straight games, the 49ers had put points on the board in every game they played. Sometimes it was a mere 3 points, but they scored nonetheless. Through 4 coaches, hundreds of players, QB injuries, changed rules and in any weather they had found a way to score. There was always at least a brief moment in time, even during the most humiliating losses, where fans had a brief relief where they could cheer, feel what it is about the game we love, success at even it's smallest level.

But not on that day. On that day the streak ended. Fittingly, it was at the hands of one of the franchises best offensive minds - Mike Holmgren. That day the Seahawks beat the 49ers 34-0. There I was. Dressed head to toe in my 49ers gear, even so far as having a personalized Jersey, hat, shoes with 49ers stickers that I had put on them, underneath the jersey I was even wearing a 49ers sweatshirt as the temperature that day was a mere 53 degrees at kickoff. From high on my perch on the 3rd level I watched the last glimmer of gold that was left in a once proud franchise fade into darkness.

But, through it all. Through all the pains, trials and tribulations I have persevered, as many of you have, to root on and believe in our team that we can once again climb the mountain and sit atop the throne of the national football league and hoist the lombardi trophy once again.
If it doesn't kill you it only makes your hate for the Seahawks stronger.
Growing up watching Walsh and Seifert trample over the pretenders and wanna be's of the NFL, I thought that 49er championships were a birthright. Reality knocked me on my behind........... Oh how the Mighty have fallen.

Wow, That is quite a story. Thanks! I enjoyed reading that but it has brought up so many bad memories of that season. The best game was the first game, a beat down of the bears 49-7. All my dreams for a hopeful season were crushed shortly after.

49ers had positive point differential in 2003 because of that win over Bears. Also beat Arizona 50-14 in a game in November.
Originally posted by Sourball:
Growing up watching Walsh and Seifert trample over the pretenders and wanna be's of the NFL, I thought that 49er championships were a birthright. Reality knocked me on my behind........... Oh how the Mighty have fallen.

It will make us cherish it that much more when we win #6.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Sourball:

It will make us cherish it that much more when we win #6.

Uhh, how bout let's get a win first before pulling the bandwagon out the backyard.
how about Mike Nolan and his vanilla defenses? and how he threw Alex under the bus? and then the s**tshow that was Dingleberry. haha. f**k.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
how about Mike Nolan and his vanilla defenses? and how he threw Alex under the bus? and then the s**tshow that was Dingleberry. haha. f**k.

Honestly, those years were better than Erickson though... or Tomsula or Chip Kelly

At least Nolan was the best dressed HC. I remember when that was a thing
Originally posted by 1251alex:

Vanilla Offenses too. Even in Harbs time. Shanny is more dynamic than those guys for sure. Just need to stay healthy
all this bandwagon talk....

Can the team actually start winning some games before we start plucking out the fake fans?
Share 49erswebzone