LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 177 users in the forums

Offseason proof 49ers are aiming for contention in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Buwahahahahahaha! I can't believe people are still listening to Grant Cohn or that others think he is one of the better sports writers. I will admit that like a lot of people I thought the niners would go Defense. In part because that is what the media pundits think. However, I can also understand why the niners did what they did. If Grant thinks the moves made were not to contend for the playoffs this year, it either shows his stupidity or his brilliance at making people click baiting them to his link.

I liked Trent Brown and he was a good pass protector, but his use in the run game had its limitations due to his lack of athleticism and conditioning. Mike might be a slight downgrade as a pass protector, but his athleticism will allow the niners to implement the full run package and maybe add a few new wrinkles in pass protection or the entire offensive package. Pettis is going to get more time than any CB we were going to get in the second round, unless you believe that Sherman is either not going to recover from his injuries, no longer starting material, or going to be a bust. If you are going to say they can let the guy sit and learn from Sherman, well then that means they are aiming for the future. Which is counter to what Grant was trying to argue. The only move you might argue is the niners should have moved up to get Landry instead of Pettis. However, what we don't know is what the niners may have thought about his physical condition or concerns at the time, even though it has been disputed by a writer. Warner is going to help the pass and run game, until Foster gets back and then team with him as 3 down LBs. Moore and McFadden were brought in for the future to replace Sherman or Moore maybe a great FS.

Also, after Jimmy took the reigns and even before that, the defense got better. Imagine if the offense gets more potent, the defense can pin back their hair and it will make the opposing offense more one dimensional.

If you wanted Sweat and hated the Street pick, I understand, I thought they might go that way, but maybe they felt he wasn't all that- he didn't produce in college, so what makes us think that all of sudden he is going to light it up, much less in his first year? This year unlike last year are less holes to fill and less spots to grab. You can also only fill up so many holes, spreading your picks all over the place lessons the odds on getting a hits too. Next year they may go after pass rusher after they figure out what they have now. Especially since on paper there are so many more pass rusher talents.

A lot of this will have to wait. Paper is always one thing and reality is a b***h. Although I wish technology was such that all the posters that said one thing or another can be instantly outed. To show how wrong or right they were in their arm chair analysis.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by susweel:
Grant is one of the better local writers, dude is usually spot on with his analysis.

Susweel= Grant Cohn

I believe it, he sure does sounds like him in his comments on his ridiculous articles. Always Negative!!

Good point. But I think Sus writes better.
This I've hid almost the maximum amount and life on the forum is so much better. Now only if we could hide mod posts.

But picking Tomusla over Harbaugh?? I don't know how one comes back from that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Giedi:
Grant is one of the better local writers, dude is usually spot on with his analysis.

Susweel= Grant Cohn

I believe it, he sure does sounds like him in his comments on his ridiculous articles. Always Negative!!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Susweel= Grant Cohn

Grant Cohn knows nothing about football, cant write, and is a troll. There are many fans on this forum who's opinions I respect far more than Cohn's. I refuse to read his garbage.
Originally posted by WildBill:

If you wanted Sweat and hated the Street pick, I understand, I thought they might go that way, but maybe they felt he wasn't all that- he didn't produce in college, so what makes us think that all of sudden he is going to light it up, much less in his first year? This year unlike last year are less holes to fill and less spots to grab. You can also only fill up so many holes, spreading your picks all over the place lessons the odds on getting a hits too. Next year they may go after pass rusher after they figure out what they have now. Especially since on paper there are so many more pass rusher talents.
Thanks for posting this Bill...and I think what many are overlooking as far as the Niners' picks in this draft are the intangibles that these guys will bring. Let us not forget that one of the things that this front office values from its players is "love of the game". In general, they probably have learned that those guys who love the game tend to have longer and more productive careers overall. The front office also looks for "team guys" and guys who really look to improve...by working on weaknesses, looking at film, etc.

It appears that the Niners weren't impressed by any of the pass rushers (i.e. Sweat) when they interviewed them. Therefore, they drafted guys who again, love the game, will work hard, are bright, and are versatile (i.e. McGlinchey, Pettis, Warner, James, etc.). I believe that one of the reasons they went for versatile players is the number of injuries they had last season. They now have a number of players who can play multiple positions and of course, as a result, more depth. That is also one of the reasons they may have brought back guys like Ward and Armstead, both of whom can play more than one position.

Back to the pass rush.... As you all know, when teams don't have dominant pass rushers (and many teams do not), they have to rely on scheme to get consistent pressure. It appears that the DBs they drafted are capable of blitzing and because they are both fast, they can get to the QB. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners don't have a 10 sack guy this year but have 5 or more guys with more than 4, one of which will be a DB. That is a good start.

Cheers!
[ Edited by longterm9erfan on May 19, 2018 at 9:07 PM ]
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:

It appears that the Niners weren't impressed by any of the pass rushers (i.e. Sweat) when they interviewed them.

No sweat.
His Periscope is really the best way to deal with Grant because you can see his intentional angle.

Some skinny practice notes:

Trent Taylor out with a back injury

McKinnon had 2 TD's (1 stretch, 1 reception) and looks electric

Starting LB's were Toomer at WILL and Smith at MIKE

Goodwin had a great day too

Sherman is a straight up coach out there and crazy involved like when Jerty Rice was here last year

Tartt broke up passes

Joe Williams looked decisive and looked great; played with heart which was lacking last year; scrappy, tough, finished every run. Shanahan gave him props on how hard he ran

Day had a sack and PBU

Kittle looked really good; great routes and explosive when healthy

Toomer looked stiff and not very fast

Boldin Jr. with a deep TD

Bourne invites contact in the middle of the field (contested catches), Pettis shies away from it. He thinks Bourne has a better chance to replace Garçon than Pettis

Attaochu gave McGlinchey fits all day because of how low he gets and his bend; hard time even getting his hands on him. Wasn't sure if that's a testament to JA or rookie MM being vulnerable to start

Colbert looks bigger, around 210 now

JG's mechanics are perfect, great day with sideline and deeper throws and a couple bad traffic balls and a couple deeper accuracy issues; bad miss were the concerns (high and behind Garcon, badly missed Burbridge; chalked it up to chemistry but something to watch as similar issues last year)

BeatHard had poor accuracy; a lot of bad throws

Noting you can see guys in their second years filled out and look like they belong; Dirty Tiny was one of them. Pettis and James are tiny but give them a year to physically develop. Colbert jacked

--- disclaimer ---

Pettis will be his early click bait guy

--- end/disclaimer ---

Armstead manhandled Garnett all day, shoving him constantly into the backfield; he said same issues last year with strength even when he was 20 pounds heavier; struggled with dropping anchor. Reiterated Charles Haley livid at how soft he was last year. He's hoping Cooper will be the guy. He'll be ready for TC once healed from the knee

Solomon invisible "just like his rookie year." LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on May 22, 2018 at 8:35 PM ]

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Yep

And if I can flip this approach to what the Rams are doing: they don't know if Goff is a FQB. What we've seen is that he's not clutch and that's pretty big.

I am hoping your right
Originally posted by NCommand:
His Periscope is really the best way to deal with Grant because you can see his intentional angle.

Sherman is a straight up coach out there and crazy involved like when Jerty Rice was here last year

Tartt broke up passes

Joe Williams looked decisive and looked great; played with heart which was lacking last year; scrappy, tough, finished every run. Shanahan gave him props on how hard he ran

Day had a sack and PBU

Bourne invites contact in the middle of the field (contested catches), Pettis shies away from it. He thinks Bourne has a better chance to replace Garçon than Pettis

Attaochu gave McGlinchey fits all day because of how low he gets and his bend; hard time even getting his hands on him. Wasn't sure if that's a testament to JA or rookie MM being vulnerable to start

JG's mechanics are perfect, great day with sideline and deeper throws and a couple bad traffic balls and a couple deeper accuracy issues; bad miss were the concerns (high and behind Garcon, badly missed Burbridge; chalked it up to chemistry but something to watch as similar issues last year)

Noting you can see guys in their second years filled out and look like they belong; Dirty Tiny was one of them. Pettis and James are tiny but give them a year to physically develop. Colbert jacked

--- disclaimer ---

--- end/disclaimer ---

Armstead manhandled Garnett all day, shoving him constantly into the backfield; he said same issues last year with strength even when he was 20 pounds heavier; struggled with dropping anchor. Reiterated Charles Haley livid at how soft he was last year. He's hoping Cooper will be the guy. He'll be ready for TC once healed from the knee

Good thing Cohn calling it like it is. He's definitely going to go for blood with Pettis, who is at least a year away.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Tartt broke up passes

Day had a sack and PBU

--- disclaimer ---

--- end/disclaimer ---

Yawn....unpadded workouts. All this b******t is, is stuff to drive his narratives. He lacks the football X's and O's to make the statements he makes. All it does is give people an echo camber to rag on the guys they don't like. Yep, Pettis is afraid to go over the middle....Solomon is invisible ...Joe Williams played "with heart" All b******t. These are f**king unpadded installs....talking about people heart and being invisible is hilarious.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 23, 2018 at 12:03 AM ]
So of these OTAs are non contact...how can one WR look for contact over the middle and another WR shies away from it?
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on May 23, 2018 at 12:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So of these OTAs are non contact...how can one WR look for contact over the middle and another WR shies away from it?

Cause Grant Cohn is a dumbf**k that doesn't know what he's talking about....also,I love his little gem about Bourne replacing Garcon and not Pettis. Honestly, does it surprise anyone that a guy who's been thru OTAs, TC and a season would look a little better than a guy who got drafted less than a month ago and is in his first NFL install camp? Just utter nonsense, from a guy that has no business being a beat writer for an NFL team.
Share 49ersWebzone