There are 205 users in the forums

Offseason proof 49ers are aiming for contention in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The o-line was addressed as well. You chose to saybthstbthen49ers have the same problem areas of last year, ypu can't whine about people pointing out the areas that have improved.
The QB is the most important upgrade ypu chose not to note that improvement.

they changed people on the line. right now the only bonofide upgrade was the new center. the rest are unknowns. the rookie should do well but i am not sold on these so called amazing guards we have. still question mark. no true number one running back. no guy to get tough yardage. no pass rush. can they tackle better than last year. sherman is nice but coming off injuries and lots of kids back there. who knows with foster. our wide outs. they are nice but two coming off injury. one getting older. kittle has injury issues. so yes. i think those things mean 8 wins now. if some get fixed 9,. 10 would be great. oh. sorry. the qb improvement is a given so did not feel i needed to point that out. but thank you for spinning to make it seem like i do not think we upgraded there
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by cciowa:
anything past 8 wins would make me feel good about our direction. 7 or less would be a setback in my opinion. i am not the one running around predicting 11 wins

That sound pretty reasonable to me.

me to
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Jimmy G's long term success is still a question mark. Of course, the arrow is up, but there isn't anything proven on his part. Cohn was thinking outside the box and it was interesting. I mean, what if we had 2 picks in the top 10 and picked up Chubb and McGlinchey AND signed Cousins?

Lol, stop trying to pretend like there is some deeper meaning to his inane BS. He throws s**t at the wall with writing that would be considered subpar even for this forum. He isn't his dad, he isn't Ratto, he isn't Kawakami, he is a wannabe imitation of all of the above.

We have posters here that put out far more insightful and intriguing commentary.

If Cohn's column got bumped for weekly game film reviews from jonnydel and Thl that would be a lot more useful than anything he has ever produced.

They won 5 out of 5 with Jimmy. 11 win team with him, at least.

that was last year. i am sure jimmy and the niners will catch no one by surprise this year. if we just pick up right where we left off and win five in a row to begin the year. great. but we have questions on the o line.pass rush. secondary overall tackling. i do not see an 11 win team . 8 now,. if we do a few things well that we struggled in last year 9. ten would be a positive shock pleasant surprise to me.

The o-line had more holes during the last 5 games of the season last year.
The 49ers don't have to start 5-0 to go 11-5.
We struggled mightily with the QB for 11 games last year and some of us think they improved at that position with Jimmy G.

please tell me who does not think we are better at qb than we were before jimmy. i am always being asked for links and proof so i think i will do the same please.. who said we are not happy with jimmy and are improved there?

You said:
some people think our problem areas we had before the win streak are somehow no longer there

What changed before the streak and why would you ignore that difference? You literally said the same problems we had before the streak are still there. The biggest problem clearly was QB, that is an important detail and it is not cherry picking to point that out.
Originally posted by mojave45:
Maybe. Don't forget that we have an all new oline, a rookie tackle, no Reuben Foster we can count on, and no proven #1RB. I will be surprised if we don't win 8 games , but I think we can win more... But I am certainly not in the crowd that thinks we are going to Magically have everything gel together in day one of the season.

good post. that crowd you speak of does exist in my opinion

And what is wrong with that?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so if the other stuff happens we will have more than 8-9 wins .. or your 8-9 is pending on the scenarios come to fruition ?

right now its 8 win team to me,,, if we can rush the passer., and protect jimmy. its a 9 win team,, that is assuming our offense will be this juggernaut everyone says it will be

So, ten wins would probably make you feel pretty positive about the direction the team is going, right?
anything past 8 wins would make me feel good about our direction. 7 or less would be a setback in my opinion. i am not the one running around predicting 11 wins

No, you are the one who predicted the 49ers would be better if they replaced Harbaugh with Tomsula.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on May 17, 2018 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so if the other stuff happens we will have more than 8-9 wins .. or your 8-9 is pending on the scenarios come to fruition ?

right now its 8 win team to me,,, if we can rush the passer., and protect jimmy. its a 9 win team,, that is assuming our offense will be this juggernaut everyone says it will be

So, ten wins would probably make you feel pretty positive about the direction the team is going, right?

No you are the one who predicted the 49ers would be better if they replaced Harbaugh with Tomsula.

Lol did he really?
Nothing wrong with being excited and optimistic. If there is any time of the year to do that it's certainly right now, in the off season, a new QB, a recent draft crop, and a nice run of wins to close out last year.

I just like to temper my optimism with a little bit of realism. I think we are poised to have our best season since 2013. That doesn't mean I think we get to the NFC championship game or the SB. We don't have to do that to show a lot of improvement. I just think we are a few pieces short yet, and that by next year I expect those missing pieces to be addressed. Doesn't mean I am not excited, and hopeful. Right now we are undefeated in 2018.
I found a thread I hate more than the Foster one.
It's actually one of his better assessments and it's clear the 9ers are still in "brick by brick" mode and not viewing themselves as having an open SB window. They are just following the plan they originally set out to do.

As far as Grant himself his problem is he just tries way too hard to be a contrarian and it often makes leads to some really dumb statements and assessments.

Originally posted by Jikkle49:
It's actually one of his better assessments and it's clear the 9ers are still in "brick by brick" mode and not viewing themselves as having an open SB window. They are just following the plan they originally set out to do.

As far as Grant himself his problem is he just tries way too hard to be a contrarian and it often makes leads to some really dumb statements and assessments.

Often? Mostly. The guy makes more dumb statements and assessments than can be be attributed to bad luck. Most of his stuff is dumb. Every once in a while he is on point.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
No, you are the one who predicted the 49ers would be better if they replaced Harbaugh with Tomsula.

yes and i was wrong.. i wonder if you would step up and admit when you were ever wrong. have you ever been wrong in your life on this thread. and it is funny you are trying to paint me into a corner where i say we have not improved the qb thing. of course we have. the o line. the the pass rush the secondary and poor tackling that were pre jimmy concerns are still concerns and we over payed for a very nice running back but still need help there. no offense to joe jim brown williams

yes and i was wrong.. i wonder if you would step up and admit when you were ever wrong. have you ever been wrong in your life on this thread. and it is funny you are trying to paint me into a corner where i say we have not improved the qb thing. of course we have. the o line. the the pass rush the secondary and poor tackling that were pre jimmy concerns are still concerns and we over payed for a very nice running back but still need help there. no offense to joe jim brown williams

I was wrong, the day the DA put out the press release detailing the charges against Foster when I said that the 49ers should cut him immediately.

If the 49ers win less than 10 games I will admit I was wrong to predict 11 wins.

I didn't paint you into a corner, you said that the 49ers didn't address the problems they had prior to the win streak and that seemed to be ignoring the obvious.

Why did you specifically call out my 11 win prediction? That is what prompted my reminder.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Who says we still need help at RB? Just because they are not building a team with the types of players you want, doesn't mean they need help at certain positions. They do not feel they need help at the RB position.
I get the disdain for Grant I really do, but I have to say. If you can disregard his opinionated conclusions at the very least you can gain a little insight from the work he puts in to form those opinions/conclusions. Sometimes very rarely you may even agree with one of his points. I read his articles because although I read all the other writers articles as well they're typically more or less summaries of performance. Grant to me at least tries to uncover the factors that lead to performace or the lack of. So although I typically disagree with his conclusions, I tend to gain some insight as to possibly what/why something is happening.

Furthermore, I feel we as fans should create discussion and debate with these writers far more than we do. There is so much insight shared on this forum and so many questions and discusions created by so many great posters , I just feel if we brought these things to these writers they themselves may want to uncover the same information we do, and possibly ask these questions themselves. And for me to Grant's credit he seems to be willing to ask the tougher and even the dumber questions and he consistently engages with commenters, at least more so than the others.

As to the article, I agree but not completely. The idea is always to win and to do that you have to build a complete team, which can't be done in 1 year no matter how good the QB is. So yes the 49ers understand this so they identified players to help now and in the future and then decided the best path was to fill out the offense this year and give their QB a solid unit and wait to fill out the defense. Maybe they could have gotten some players on defense, but decided to get those players the cost would be greater, leaving either more short term or long term holes. That doesn't change the fact that KS and JG are going to execute and put up points and that Saleh and defense are going to to try and shut down the run/ take away the deep ball and force the dink and dunk game. Seattle has shown even lately with a dinged up defense that if you can shut down the run and make the offense earn yards and points slowly, you can be in almost every game and that's with their low scoring offense. I may be optimistic but I believe if the defense can hold teams between 21-24 points per game they can squeak away with a 10-6 record maybe even 11-5.

To further my rant, 2 more playmakers on defense in 2019 through FA/Draft and I believe the 49ers can make it to at least the NFC Championship.
Share 49erswebzone