LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Offseason proof 49ers are aiming for contention in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What do you think?

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/8333618-181/grant-cohn-offseason-proof-49ers
I refuse to read anything Grant says. He's a try-hard and almost everything is conjecture with no real football knowledge to back it up. The last article I read by his - and I swore off ever reading his stuff again, he was making up some wild theory about something after a press conference and admitted that he wasn't at the press conference.
Zero desire to provide that man with clicks or to read anything that the voices in his head have concocted.

By far the least talented and least football knowledgeable of anyone covering the 49ers in any sort of official capacity.

When guys like Lombardi are putting out actual top notch articles about the 49ers there is no good reason to turn to Cohn and his abject delusional rants.
Nope, refuse to give that dingleberry any clicks.
[ Edited by Heroism on May 16, 2018 at 2:15 PM ]
  • thl408
I skimmed through the article and I agree with the main point of the article. I actually came to the same conclusion after the draft. The 49ers are planning for the future. They want a prolonged window of success, not, "balls to the wall, SB or bust in 2018". And it makes a lot of sense. The 5 game win streak may have fans expecting a lot in 2018, but it's still year #2 of a total rebuild. I think that was the point of the article. I could take it a step further and say they are planning to contend in 2020 when the defense is matured.
Will. Not. Click.

But I do agree that this draft had 2019 in it's sights.

McGlinchey - 2018/2019 (because Brown is gone/Staley may be gone in 2019)
Pettis - 2019 (Garcon may be gone)
Warner - 2019 (M.Smith may be gone)
Moore - 2019 (Sherman may be gone)
Street/Taylor - 2019 (Armstead may be gone)
Reed - 2019 (Ward may be gone)
Harris - 2018/19 (C.James may be gone)
James - 2018/2019 (bonus depth for Taylor)
[ Edited by NCommand on May 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM ]
Why you creating a thread for this dips**t?
How is this "insight"? Anyone who has paid attention since February 2017 would have known this was likely a three year plan, as that was the model for several similar successful rebuilds in recent NFL past (Walsh 49ers, Johnson Cowboys, Carroll Seahawks, etc.).
I agree with some of his points but the overall narrative that the Niners don't care about winning this upcoming season is retarded.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I agree with some of his points but the overall narrative that the Niners don't care about winning this upcoming season is retarded.

That is him in a nutshell.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
How is this "insight"? Anyone who has paid attention since February 2017 would have known this was likely a three year plan, as that was the model for several similar successful rebuilds in recent NFL past (Walsh 49ers, Johnson Cowboys, Carroll Seahawks, etc.).

First two aren't recent anymore, bro.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Forget the word recent. Just substitute most successful. Those rebuilds weren't a flash in the pan.
I have been beating the drum about a 3 year rebuild since this got started.
[ Edited by mojave45 on May 16, 2018 at 3:02 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
Forget the word recent. Just substitute most successful. Those rebuilds weren't a flash in the pan.

This is true. I was just lamenting the aging process.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

"Recent" is relative. Walsh instituted the "modern" NFL as we know it today, in theory/philosophical approach.
Share 49ersWebzone