Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 750 users in the forums

2018 Coaching Staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yup I agree , and Senior Shanahan's been in a lot of big games. I think Mike and Kyle *and* John Lynch talk a lot more than they let on.

Seifert was a defensive backs coach before he became DC, so I think between Saleh and John Lynch, they got this. Saleh is the X's and O's guy, and Lynch getting the talent on defense. Seifert's elephant 3-4 was always geared to stop elite passing teams in the playoffs. I think Saleh and Lynch make a good team in acquiring defensive talent. Talent matters more than X's and O's on defense.

The way this defense is designed, Saleh doesn't have to be a big X's and O's guy but I love your point about he and Lynch working together to fill the holes. In fact, Lynch has already noted the #1 need which are edge rushers that can close the deal esp. on 3rd downs.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Ken Norton Jr would seem like a perfect fit and addition as LB's coach.

IMO Norton probably goes back to Carroll.

Makes a lot of sense.
Hiring Ken Norton is a great start!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Ken Norton Jr would seem like a perfect fit and addition as LB's coach.

IMO Norton probably goes back to Carroll.

Makes a lot of sense.

I'm glad we got him instead of Cheat Carroll that's for sure.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yup I agree , and Senior Shanahan's been in a lot of big games. I think Mike and Kyle *and* John Lynch talk a lot more than they let on.

Seifert was a defensive backs coach before he became DC, so I think between Saleh and John Lynch, they got this. Saleh is the X's and O's guy, and Lynch getting the talent on defense. Seifert's elephant 3-4 was always geared to stop elite passing teams in the playoffs. I think Saleh and Lynch make a good team in acquiring defensive talent. Talent matters more than X's and O's on defense.

The way this defense is designed, Saleh doesn't have to be a big X's and O's guy but I love your point about he and Lynch working together to fill the holes. In fact, Lynch has already noted the #1 need which are edge rushers that can close the deal esp. on 3rd downs.

Totally agree, and I hope Ken can help land us a premier pass rusher in the Haley mold.
Kudos to Robert Saleh for pushing Kyle to make this hire. Shows that Saleh is very secure and humble with himself because some young coaches may not have pushed for a move to get a guy like Norton who has more experience than Saleh as an assistant and D.C. Saleh is obviously smart enough to ask for help and realize how much a coach like Kenny Norton Jr can help the team and Saleh himself.

I take it Stan Kwan is out as assistant special teams coach and with Holland behind named OLB coach and Kenny as LB's coach, I think Jason Tarver is gone to. I would actually move Tarver to the offensive side of coaching....
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Ken Norton Jr would seem like a perfect fit and addition as LB's coach.

IMO Norton probably goes back to Carroll.

Makes a lot of sense.

Did we offer more $ than Seattle???? :D

Ken dont want to join that sinking ship
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Ken dont want to join that sinking ship

Seattle has a very good LB's coach in Mike Barrow. I think Norton does see something special STARTING here with Seattle on the decline. Also, he has a history with Saleh and doesn't have to move from the Yay Area
Why do people think Saleh has done a poor job?

His priority this year was to stop the run and he did that well. He's a no brainer to coach next season.
Originally posted by 4thandlong:
Why do people think Saleh has done a poor job?

His priority this year was to stop the run and he did that well. He's a no brainer to coach next season.

I have to give Acorn head some props. He was way better than Jim O'neal. Now this team needs to focus on two things:

Protecting Jimmy. (#1 priority)
get to the QB (#2 priority)
On the offensive side.... I would promote either Rich Scangarello or Mike McDaniel to OC. I would then either move McDaniel to WR's coach and LaFleur to QB's coach and I would have Jason Tarver as assistant RB/s/Senior offensive assistant. Tarver started his coaching career on the offensive side off the ball under Mariucci and than Dennis Erickson and after 11 years on the defensive side would bring an added versatility back to the offensive staff. Just a thought...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,132
Hire Fangio and dump salah.
Originally posted by susweel:
Hire Fangio and dump salah.

Chargers were able to retain Bradley and it sounds like there's a battle between Chicago and the Pack for Fangio.
  • bors
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,736
Originally posted by 4thandlong:
Why do people think Saleh has done a poor job?

His priority this year was to stop the run and he did that well. He's a no brainer to coach next season.

Much better than last year for sure. I think last 5 games. Not a single 100 yard back.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,132
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Hire Fangio and dump salah.

Chargers were able to retain Bradley and it sounds like there's a battle between Chicago and the Pack for Fangio.

Packers hired petine
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone