There are 243 users in the forums

2018 Coaching Staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I want John Fox.

Why?

The Steelers finished 5th in yards and 7th in points. The defense has improved in every since he replaced Dick.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I want John Fox.

Why?

The Steelers finished 5th in yards and 7th in points. The defense has improved in every since he replaced Dick.

Umm

I want John Fox.

Why?

im confused.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
I want John Fox.

Why?

im confused.

FL9er is the confused one
Originally posted by Niners99:
People don't seem to understand the concept of upstaging a head coach. You dont bring in a guy who could potentially be seen as someone the fans will chant for after a couple bad losses at some point. It creates paranoia in the HC. Shanahan doesn't need a successful veteran HC to help him. Same reason why his dad isn't being brought in.

This. I hope Kyle keeps bringing in younger unproven coaches. If this team has success then eventually guys like McDaniel, LaFleur, Halfley and Saleh will be in demand for promotions across the league. Keep the pipeline going ala Belichick, most of his assistants hadn't done anything of note prior to working for him.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Mike McCarthy may be outs in GB

Bring him in for Assistant HC (sched to have the Packers on the road next season)

He just got a 1 yr extension
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
It will be interesting who they hire as the assistant D Line coach, as Vince Oghobaase is now at UCLA as *the* defensive line coach. He was *assistant* defensive line coach with the 49ers.
I want John Fox.

Why? Dude hasn't been a defensive coordinator in like 15 yrs...guys who have been a HC for 15+ yrs straight don't just take a coordinator gig. He's got another yrs worth of pay from the bears coming his way, he can simply wait a yr and see if he can land another HC gig. He's got a pretty impressive resume as a HC.
I want John Fox.

The Steelers are looking for a DC?
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I want John Fox.

I think he's married but hey, a boy can dream.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Do you guys see ANY changes on the staff???

Obviously Saleh is coming back as the D.C. I would love to at least add a veteran coach on the defensive (and offensive) staff(s). Ken Norton Jr would seem like a perfect fit and addition as LB's coach. I'm also not sold on our DB's coach Hafley (sp?) but I suspect he will be back.

On the offensive side, does Kyle hire an offensive coordinator? I hope so, obviously he's not giving up play calling but i think it would only help if he had a little help with game planning and adjusting. The new O.C if there is one, is probably on the staff and that guy is Mike McDaniel who has been with Kyle and basically his right hand man the last 8 or 9 years. Another scenario could be promoting Rich Scgarino (sp?) our QB's coach to O.C as he has a good amount of OC experience (college level) and promote McDaniel to QB's cosch or better yet.... make him the WR's coach as he has a very good resume as WR's coach and move LaFluer from WR's coach to QB's.

I do see McDaniel or Scags being an O.C on our team or another NFL team in the 2 years.

Thoughts, predictions, ideas????

Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Do you guys see ANY changes on the staff???

Obviously Saleh is coming back as the D.C. I would love to at least add a veteran coach on the defensive (and offensive) staff(s). Ken Norton Jr would seem like a perfect fit and addition as LB's coach. I'm also not sold on our DB's coach Hafley (sp?) but I suspect he will be back.

On the offensive side, does Kyle hire an offensive coordinator? I hope so, obviously he's not giving up play calling but i think it would only help if he had a little help with game planning and adjusting. The new O.C if there is one, is probably on the staff and that guy is Mike McDaniel who has been with Kyle and basically his right hand man the last 8 or 9 years. Another scenario could be promoting Rich Scgarino (sp?) our QB's coach to O.C as he has a good amount of OC experience (college level) and promote McDaniel to QB's cosch or better yet.... make him the WR's coach as he has a very good resume as WR's coach and move LaFluer from WR's coach to QB's.

I do see McDaniel or Scags being an O.C on our team or another NFL team in the 2 years.

Thoughts, predictions, ideas????

Cannot find the article now, but in Atlanta Kyle had a lot of the position coaches help with game planning. Everyone had a specific area to prepare for upcoming opponents ie OL coach handled short yardage run plays, WR coach handled passing game between the 20's, Turner handled run game between the 20's, McDaniel handled Red Zone etc.

Probably employs the same set up here.
We don't need an "assistant HC" , and we don't need a veteran, high powered OC to assist Kyle. After this year if we think Saleh is in over his head (I am not convinced of that until I see year 2), I have no doubt Kyle and Lynch would make changes. Right now in year two I think consistency is a key to moving the defense forward. Well that and getting an edge rusher, a true #1 corner, and trying to upgrade at any other position if we can.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
People don't seem to understand the concept of upstaging a head coach. You dont bring in a guy who could potentially be seen as someone the fans will chant for after a couple bad losses at some point. It creates paranoia in the HC. Shanahan doesn't need a successful veteran HC to help him. Same reason why his dad isn't being brought in.

This. I hope Kyle keeps bringing in younger unproven coaches. If this team has success then eventually guys like McDaniel, LaFleur, Halfley and Saleh will be in demand for promotions across the league. Keep the pipeline going ala Belichick, most of his assistants hadn't done anything of note prior to working for him.

Eff that. I want to win and we're in prime position to do that finally.

Give Kyle a veteran, stable, proven, independent DC who's got the same X's and O's ability as Kyle does.

Back when we were Champions, we had top 5 defenses too. Seifert was ahead of his time creating the very defensive foundation we run today.

But to your bigger point, like in the FO, you have to build up that hierarchy so young inventive minds can grow up that internal ladder and move on to add another branch of the Shanahan (BW) legacy!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 6, 2018 at 8:57 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Eff that. I want to win and we're in prime position to do that finally.

Give Kyle a veteran, stable, proven, independent DC who's got the same X's and O's ability as Kyle does.

Back when we were Champions, we had top 5 defenses too. Seifert was ahead of his time creating the very defensive foundation we run today.

But to your bigger point, like in the FO, you have to build up that hierarchy so young inventive minds can grow up that internal ladder and move on to add another branch of the Shanahan (BW) legacy!

Seifert was not a veteran, stable, proven DC when Bill promoted him. He was a first time DC.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Mike McCarthy may be outs in GB

Bring him in for Assistant HC (sched to have the Packers on the road next season)

so much this

If Shanny Jr, ever needed an experienced ear to lean on, he has that with a simple informal call.
Share 49ersWebzone