There are 104 users in the forums

Brother Harbaugh is just as ignorant as Jim

Bold and whatever. Bad take , do you realize that Harbaugh is the only winning coach since the Yorks decided that the 20 year run of success needed....Dennis Erickson to run the ship. That was a long time ago......17 years
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Great way to reword what I just told you.

If they were all in their 40's they are on their way out. When they are gone, hello Jackson!

When they are gone, teams will still be looking for dominant pocket passers. It will remain the gold standard. Athleticism is great. Being able to sit back in the pocket and attack the weak spots in defenses is best. Less wear and tear on the QB, less risk of injury, ability to extend your playing career long after your peak athletic ability has waved bye bye to you.

Jackson's long term NFL viability depends on how far he is able to progress as a passer. Trevor Lawrence isn't considered a lock to be a future Number 1 pick because of his wheels. I think Jackson can get there, he certainly has the work ethic but for long term success, he will be defined by his performance as a passer.
Dude will never win anything that matters if he doesn't develop a consistent passing game
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,109
F*** Marsh
they only beat us because it was Ray Lewis' last game.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Jackson is the QB of the future, college spread offenses are moving to a more mobile/athletic QB. Not to mention the guys that are statues standing in the pocket have been scared away from football. So the more athletic QB's like Jackson, Mahomes, and the rookie Lock will be the Qb of the future. Even with the rules that try to promote softness, the old school unathletic QB is a thing of the past.





I don't know about all of that. 3 of the last 4 QBs in the NFL playoffs were pretty orthodox pocket passers, including 2 in their 40s.



Great pocket passers are still the gold standard in the NFL. The problem is much like what happened in college football, the demand for them was far greater than the actual supply so teams had to adapt and adjust.



Everyone would love a Brees or Brady, guys who can just sit in the pocket and let it rip quickly and accurately, completely pick a defense apart. But if you can't get that guy, you can't just throw your hands up and quit, so you find other ways to win.



Great way to reword what I just told you.

If they were all in their 40's they are on their way out. When they are gone, hello Jackson!
No, he did not reword you. You stated that unathletic QBs are a thing of the past, Phoenix disagreed.
[ Edited by communist on Mar 12, 2019 at 3:14 AM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Jackson is the QB of the future, college spread offenses are moving to a more mobile/athletic QB. Not to mention the guys that are statues standing in the pocket have been scared away from football. So the more athletic QB's like Jackson, Mahomes, and the rookie Lock will be the Qb of the future. Even with the rules that try to promote softness, the old school unathletic QB is a thing of the past.





I don't know about all of that. 3 of the last 4 QBs in the NFL playoffs were pretty orthodox pocket passers, including 2 in their 40s.



Great pocket passers are still the gold standard in the NFL. The problem is much like what happened in college football, the demand for them was far greater than the actual supply so teams had to adapt and adjust.



Everyone would love a Brees or Brady, guys who can just sit in the pocket and let it rip quickly and accurately, completely pick a defense apart. But if you can't get that guy, you can't just throw your hands up and quit, so you find other ways to win.



Great way to reword what I just told you.

If they were all in their 40's they are on their way out. When they are gone, hello Jackson!

I agree with Pheonix as well. Imo, the only way the athletic QB can take over as the new protoype is if defenses were allowed to still play like they did in the 80s and 90s.

And the reason for that is because you have these huge defensive lineman / pass-rushers who are also faster than they were back then and bigger. Not to mention the speed of todays DBs. If they were allowed to hold like they did back then, that would be another issue for the modern day pocket QB. With an athletic QB he can avoid the rush and big hits and make plays with his feet when his receivers are well covered.

But you dont need that today, the defense is nutered. You cant hit hard and you cant play physical coverage so what need really is there for an athletic QB? The only need is what Pheonix mentioned, that guys like Brees and Brady are rare, you still need to win so you go a different route when you cant get the elite pocket passer.
The elite pocket passers are rare. Based on Jackson being in the playoffs and dual threat QBs making it to most SBs since the RO became big, there seems to be more upside to having a good team with a dual threat QB, than having a good team with a 2nd rate pocket passer.

If a young guy like Jackson ends up developing in the passing game, look out.
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Bold and whatever. Bad take , do you realize that Harbaugh is the only winning coach since the Yorks decided that the 20 year run of success needed....Dennis Erickson to run the ship. That was a long time ago......17 years


Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Flacco is done, so developing Jackson is their best option right now. Their GM has a good relationship with John, so he won't be looking to fire him for no reason. The GM is also not Baalke, so I doubt Jackson will have to deal with the worst roster in the NFL. That fan base and organization are over Flacco, so I don't see him having to do deal with everyone calling for his head over a down year or 2 during his development (especially if the team absolutely sucks like ours did).

Cam Wilson and Kap played in 4 of the last 7 SBs, with Cam being the only one you can pin the loss on. I'll take that over an Alex Smith/Keenum type QB.

Why is wilson in there? How did you sneak him in? Theres 14 qbs in the last 7 superbowls only 2 were cam and kap and they both have 0 wins and both choked on their teams because they stink at being pro qbs. Cant read the field. Whats your point.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 13, 2019 at 2:47 AM ]
I'm sorry but I have to call this thread out, racist is probably too strong but it's certainly racial profiling.

To be fair the media does it as well (Stephen A Smith saying Haskins is a run first QB might be the worst I've ever heard.)

There's a ton of film of Lamar going through several reads, you just assume he can't. What you fail to understand is that some designed runs are made to look like passes.

The title is also inflammatory, this type of posting has no place on the zone.

The thing is I actually agree that it's a bad idea to tie your fate to Jackson, just for different reasons.

It's the RG3 factor, Jackson doesn't take care of himself when he runs, and isn't big enough to have that mentality (unlike Cam or Josh Allen) unless he learns to protect himself like Wilson does he won't last.

Jackson obviously has to develop as a passer as well, his inaccuracy comes from his mechanics, just like Josh Allen, except you hear much more about Lamar's issues and did during the draft build up, I wonder why.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Mar 13, 2019 at 3:44 AM ]
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.
They're ALL chokes, except Wilson.
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.
They're ALL chokes, except Wilson.

Wilson doesnt tuck the ball and run when things break down. He runs around to buy time for his guys to get open. That is much different than him tucking the ball and running for the first down. Also Wilson has always had demonstrated ability to not be shutdown like these other qbs because he keeps plays alive a lot longer by keeping his head up.

IMO its very different than what Cam, Kap, and Jackson do.

What Lamar does is a gimmick. The ravens are going to get shredded just like how they got blasted in the playoffs. QBs always have initial success early without film on them.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Wilson doesnt tuck the ball and run when things break down. He runs around to buy time for his guys to get open. That is much different than him tucking the ball and running for the first down. Also Wilson has always had demonstrated ability to not be shutdown like these other qbs because he keeps plays alive a lot longer by keeping his head up.

IMO its very different than what Cam, Kap, and Jackson do.

What Lamar does is a gimmick. The ravens are going to get shredded just like how they got blasted in the playoffs. QBs always have initial success early without film on them.

Wilson being an amazing scrambler is what separates him, but he still has to resort to running around, which is why he always makes his line look worse than it is.

And he choked pretty damn bad in the big game when given the chance. It's impossible to choke when your D/STs scores 16 points and only gives up 8. They literally did not need an offense to win the SB vs Broncos.
Share 49erswebzone