SalePre-order Dwight Clark tribute, "Letters to 87," for only $17.12

There are 131 users in the forums

Brother Harbaugh is just as ignorant as Jim

Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.

You don't think these young guys are going to get any better?

So our current roster won't get any better with more practice and detailed work at the game of football?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.

You don't think these young guys are going to get any better?

So our current roster won't get any better with more practice and detailed work at the game of football?

Nothing in my post was in regards to youthful players not improving. But since you are asking for clarification... I do not believe the current trend of taking the best athlete on the field and making him the qb and not teaching them how to read defenses, pass from the pocket, audible when seeing certain coverages, is a sustainable model for the quarterback position.

The whole check your first read if its not there run model has yet to work and Cam Newton is far bigger, stronger, and faster than any qb since and still hasnt been able to win it big.

Its just very obvious the ravens are going to get smashed repeatedly. The best you can hope for is to do the whole two qb approach that the niners did with smith and kap and that the saints do with brees and hill. Thats the most effective way to use that type of player. If you put the whole game on them it just doesnt work out.

It is merely very ironic that John would do the same thing as Jim and that they are brothers. Similar to the same irony of when the 49ers didnt hand the ball to gore on the goaline and the seahawks didnt hand the ball to lynch. Its like NFL coaches are so quick to forget history...
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Mar 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM ]
Flacco is done, so developing Jackson is their best option right now. Their GM has a good relationship with John, so he won't be looking to fire him for no reason. The GM is also not Baalke, so I doubt Jackson will have to deal with the worst roster in the NFL. That fan base and organization are over Flacco, so I don't see him having to do deal with everyone calling for his head over a down year or 2 during his development (especially if the team absolutely sucks like ours did).

Cam Wilson and Kap played in 4 of the last 7 SBs, with Cam being the only one you can pin the loss on. I'll take that over an Alex Smith/Keenum type QB.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM ]
Yeah! Another thread disparaging former winning Niner players/coaches....
So ignorant all they do is win.
Our current HC hitched his wagon to Hoyer, Beathard and Mullens and apparently was going for Cousins.

Lynch may have bailed him out with JG. To be determined.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 11, 2019 at 5:44 PM ]
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Nothing in my post was in regards to youthful players not improving. But since you are asking for clarification... I do not believe the current trend of taking the best athlete on the field and making him the qb and not teaching them how to read defenses, pass from the pocket, audible when seeing certain coverages, is a sustainable model for the quarterback position.

The whole check your first read if its not there run model has yet to work and Cam Newton is far bigger, stronger, and faster than any qb since and still hasnt been able to win it big.

Its just very obvious the ravens are going to get smashed repeatedly. The best you can hope for is to do the whole two qb approach that the niners did with smith and kap and that the saints do with brees and hill. Thats the most effective way to use that type of player. If you put the whole game on them it just doesnt work out.

It is merely very ironic that John would do the same thing as Jim and that they are brothers. Similar to the same irony of when the 49ers didnt hand the ball to gore on the goaline and the seahawks didnt hand the ball to lynch. Its like NFL coaches are so quick to forget history...


Of course the fault in your logic here is that Jackson played in an offense in college with a lot of pro style concepts. He showed a lot of improvement throughout his college career and I have no reason to believe he won't do so as his NFL career unfolds. He had the best W-L record of any rookie QB last season.


Writing the guy off before he's even had a chance to get his career going is kind of ridiculous honestly.
I was thinking the same thing. The running Tebow pistol thing isn't going to win you Lombardis.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Our current HC hitched his wagon to Hoyer, Beathard and Mullens and apparently was going for Cousins.

Lynch may have bailed him out with JG. To be determined.


Shanahan never hitched his wagon to Hoyer. Repeating rubbish doesn't make it any truer the more you do it. Everyone knew that Hoyer was there as one of the very few available QBs that knew the offense and could help it get installed in Year 1. He was always a temporary one year stopgap.



Cousins meanwhile had the best season of any Vikings QB in the past 20 years not named Brett Favre while having a garbage OC calling the plays. If that is supposed to be bad, sign me up for bad.

Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.

You don't think these young guys are going to get any better?

So our current roster won't get any better with more practice and detailed work at the game of football?

Nothing in my post was in regards to youthful players not improving. But since you are asking for clarification... I do not believe the current trend of taking the best athlete on the field and making him the qb and not teaching them how to read defenses, pass from the pocket, audible when seeing certain coverages, is a sustainable model for the quarterback position.

The whole check your first read if its not there run model has yet to work and Cam Newton is far bigger, stronger, and faster than any qb since and still hasnt been able to win it big.

Its just very obvious the ravens are going to get smashed repeatedly. The best you can hope for is to do the whole two qb approach that the niners did with smith and kap and that the saints do with brees and hill. Thats the most effective way to use that type of player. If you put the whole game on them it just doesnt work out.

It is merely very ironic that John would do the same thing as Jim and that they are brothers. Similar to the same irony of when the 49ers didnt hand the ball to gore on the goaline and the seahawks didnt hand the ball to lynch. Its like NFL coaches are so quick to forget history...

Jackson is the QB of the future, college spread offenses are moving to a more mobile/athletic QB. Not to mention the guys that are statues standing in the pocket have been scared away from football. So the more athletic QB's like Jackson, Mahomes, and the rookie Lock will be the Qb of the future. Even with the rules that try to promote softness, the old school unathletic QB is a thing of the past.

The Harbaugh's are smart enough to coach these guys up. Remember Harbaugh got to the SB with Kap, almost won it, but lost to his brother the guy who now coaches Jackson. And his brother, just got to the playoffs with a rookie Jackson. So things aren't looking too shabby for the athletic quarterback.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I was thinking the same thing. The running Tebow pistol thing isn't going to win you Lombardis.


Tebow didn't have a quarter of the arm talent of Jackson. There's no reason why he can't progress into a high quality NFL starting QB.


Jackson with his ridiculous athleticism doesn't have to be Brees or Brady in the pocket, just progress enough as a passer that teams are caught between trying to stop him from running and passing.


Originally posted by glorydayz:
Jackson is the QB of the future, college spread offenses are moving to a more mobile/athletic QB. Not to mention the guys that are statues standing in the pocket have been scared away from football. So the more athletic QB's like Jackson, Mahomes, and the rookie Lock will be the Qb of the future. Even with the rules that try to promote softness, the old school unathletic QB is a thing of the past.





I don't know about all of that. 3 of the last 4 QBs in the NFL playoffs were pretty orthodox pocket passers, including 2 in their 40s.



Great pocket passers are still the gold standard in the NFL. The problem is much like what happened in college football, the demand for them was far greater than the actual supply so teams had to adapt and adjust.



Everyone would love a Brees or Brady, guys who can just sit in the pocket and let it rip quickly and accurately, completely pick a defense apart. But if you can't get that guy, you can't just throw your hands up and quit, so you find other ways to win.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Jackson is the QB of the future, college spread offenses are moving to a more mobile/athletic QB. Not to mention the guys that are statues standing in the pocket have been scared away from football. So the more athletic QB's like Jackson, Mahomes, and the rookie Lock will be the Qb of the future. Even with the rules that try to promote softness, the old school unathletic QB is a thing of the past.





I don't know about all of that. 3 of the last 4 QBs in the NFL playoffs were pretty orthodox pocket passers, including 2 in their 40s.



Great pocket passers are still the gold standard in the NFL. The problem is much like what happened in college football, the demand for them was far greater than the actual supply so teams had to adapt and adjust.



Everyone would love a Brees or Brady, guys who can just sit in the pocket and let it rip quickly and accurately, completely pick a defense apart. But if you can't get that guy, you can't just throw your hands up and quit, so you find other ways to win.



Great way to reword what I just told you.

If they were all in their 40's they are on their way out. When they are gone, hello Jackson!
[ Edited by glorydayz on Mar 11, 2019 at 7:59 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 49,065
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Hitches his wagon to a gimmick qb also. Cannot wait to see ravens get torn apart because of the film on Lamar this year. I do not understand these coaches thinking the running qb gimmick will work. Cam Newton is literally twice the athlete Kap was who is more of an athlete than Lamar by far and struggles to win big.

Lamar Jackson was a better prospect than Kap ever was.
Share 49erswebzone