There are 129 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Originally posted by okdkid:
I will be interested to see how often refs swallow the whistle on this new rule in order to keep the game moving.

This year could be brutal as everybody gets adjusted.

they'll use it when they wonna control the game.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
This plays a part no doubt. But if people want football they will watch football one way or another -- cable or not.

Yes, but every year there are new ways to watch football that aren't reflected in the ratings.

NFL Redzone
streaming MNF on ESPN app
streaming SNF on NBC website
streaming TNF on Twitter
NFL GamePass

Attendance is also down.

Attendance is not down, that's fake news.

As for lower ratings, all tv rating are down...so, yeah, nice story bro.
I will be interested to see how often refs swallow the whistle on this new rule in order to keep the game moving.

The only way this rule works is if there is clear intention to do harm. The natural instinct is to dip your head and protect your face on contact, your subconscious doesn't know there is a face mask.

As a youth coach I tried to teach "heads up" tackling by having the defenders target the point of the ball with their face mask.

It's really hard, practically impossible to keep your head up through a collision.

FYI the heads up face mask to the ball eliminates arm tackles, keeps you low, makes you harder to Kyle, and causes fumbles! I recommend it to all youth coaches on the board!
It's a rule aimed at targeting. I'm sure/I hope they'll only flag obvious cases. We might be overreacting slightly.
Originally posted by post_primitive:
It's a rule aimed at targeting. I'm sure/I hope they'll only flag obvious cases. We might be overreacting slightly.

This - this is what I'm hoping.
I'm confused. What was the rule before, and what is it now?

Is it that players couldn't lead with the helmet before, but now they can't lower their helmet and make contact with their helmet?

smdh Like they need anymore help with that tbph
I understand the medical concerns the league is dealing with but this is going to be a complete disaster in enforcing and I'm sure it will dictate the outcome of at least a couple of games every year.
NFL needs to watch out. They are already on their way to tuning people out and every year it gets worse
Originally posted by teylo31:
NFL needs to watch out. They are already on their way to tuning people out and every year it gets worse

I've never been as disinterested in the NFL as I was before we got JG.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 28, 2018 at 10:10 PM ]

Too many rules.....
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teylo31:

Fox just paid 3.3 billion for Thursday Night Football. NFL doesn't need to watch out.
Just what the sport needs, another gray area for the officials.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

The only way this rule works is if there is clear intention to do harm. The natural instinct is to dip your head and protect your face on contact, your subconscious doesn't know there is a face mask.

As a youth coach I tried to teach "heads up" tackling by having the defenders target the point of the ball with their face mask.

It's really hard, practically impossible to keep your head up through a collision.

FYI the heads up face mask to the ball eliminates arm tackles, keeps you low, makes you harder to Kyle, and causes fumbles! I recommend it to all youth coaches on the board!

Its a dumb rule becuase when players are diving to make tackles obviously their head is gonna hit before their shoulders.
Rugby has it right. Less protection means less crazy hits. Get rid of pads and the hard thick helmet.
Share 49erswebzone