LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Shop 49ers game tickets
Goodell is looking into the MLB baseball rule of defensive indifference. Just allow the receivers to run free with no interference, more points more viewers.
ICYMI … I thought it better to post this here, instead of starting a thread:
Note: something is not is correct with the Hyperlink, so I removed it … the link redirects to NFL GamePass, instead of the article ???

Article excerpt:
"The NFL and NFL Players Association will prohibit 10 helmet models from being worn by players this season based
on the results of an annual laboratory study used to assess the performance of helmets being worn by players".

"New NFL players and players who didn't wear the prohibited helmets in 2017 won't be allowed to wear them in 2018.
Full phaseout is expected after 2018, per Jeff Miller, NFL Senior Vice President of Health and Safety Policy".

"Per Dr. Jeff Crandall, chairman of NFL Engineering Committee, the new helmet rankings is based only on lab performance".

[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Apr 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM ]
I am unable relocate the videos that showed examples of ejection hits that just came out but all the videos I viewed were about defensive penalties. It did not show any examples of ejection penalties about running backs with head down running into the the line or quarterback sneaks diving towards the goal line etc. Is it only defensive players that are penalized or ejected? Are there any offensive penalties or ejections example videos by the league available to view?
Originally posted by Joecool:
This is the one that will be tough to keep from doing.

Is this a penalty or an ejection on the receiver for lowering his his head just before contact or on the defense and why? Seems like this new rule could happen on all plays pretty much.

Edit: or the defensive player for shoulder to the head because the receiver dropped his helmet is what I meant.
[ Edited by kezar49er on May 26, 2018 at 2:05 AM ]
Originally posted by kezar49er:

Is this a penalty or an ejection on the receiver for lowering his his head just before contact or on the defense and why? Seems like this new rule could happen on all plays pretty much.

Well technically he was leading with his helmet there. He wasn't "square up" like you're supposed to unless you're diving to take out their legs/lower body.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Well technically he was leading with his helmet there. He wasn't "square up" like you're supposed to unless you're diving to take out their legs/lower body.

Wow, the subjunctive nature of these examples give me great pause as to how the refs will rule especially during critical games. They can really adversely change the outcome of games.

Edit: can't wait to see Rogers,Brees,Brady or Ryan drop their head trying to get an extra yard and be ejected ( but we all know with some players it will never happen).
[ Edited by kezar49er on May 26, 2018 at 12:23 AM ]

Wow, the subjunctive nature of these examples give me great pause as to how the refs will rule especially during critical games. They can really adversely change the outcome of games.

Edit: can't wait to see Rogers,Brees,Brady or Ryan drop their head trying to get an extra yard and be ejected ( but we all know with some players it will never happen).

They'll probably be more loose during playoffs especially if it's critical drives. NBA let's them bang more in the playoffs.
The contact rules are in such a grey area that there will be no consistency in game decisions . A legal hit by one crew will be illegal by another. The game is so fast it will be impossible to implement the rule changes and keep the flow of the game going. The NFL's answer will be to add more officials and kill the game a little quicker.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The contact rules are in such a grey area that there will be no consistency in game decisions . A legal hit by one crew will be illegal by another. The game is so fast it will be impossible to implement the rule changes and keep the flow of the game going. The NFL's answer will be to add more officials and kill the game a little quicker.

Think they're doing it to simply reduce those bad hits and have people adjust to make good contact.

I usually don't worry until perhaps it costs your team a game. People need to stop being dirty, watch out for their heads,etc. I think it'll be for the better long term. Well get to see more pure fundamental football.

We should be worried if no changes we might lose talent coming in due to parents not letting their kids play.

Just my .02 cents.
Think they're doing it to simply reduce those bad hits and have people adjust to make good contact.

I usually don't worry until perhaps it costs your team a game. People need to stop being dirty, watch out for their heads,etc. I think it'll be for the better long term. Well get to see more pure fundamental football.

We should be worried if no changes we might lose talent coming in due to parents not letting their kids play.

Just my .02 cents.

In a past post I told how I would watch high school and college boys playing and practicing at a field in Orange County Ca. As the years passed there were less and less kids playing. The yard markers were taken off and replaced with soccer markings. The goal posts starting tilting and soccer posts were placed beneath the goal posts. After a while no football games were played and no one practiced. One day I saw a kicker practicing field goals, I asked him what had happened, he replied the high school and college had dropped the sport. This is the future, sadly.

• bvc49
  • Veteran
The NFL will make me hate football soon enough. Fortunately I'm starting to really love hockey

Edit: or the defensive player for shoulder to the head because the receiver dropped his helmet is what I meant.

That play shouldn't be called a penalty against either, they both lower their helmets but neither of them "initiate contact with the helmet".

Actually watching it back the defender probably does get called, tough play, he could get lower but he's not done a lot wrong.

There's a big difference of lowering to protect yourself vs lowering to basically headbutt someone.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on May 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM ]
  • Jiks
I really don't understand the reasoning behind this rule if they hardly ever enforce it. I'm not necessarily complaining but I've watched a lot of players get bluntly away with it all season.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jiks:
I really don't understand the reasoning behind this rule if they hardly ever enforce it. I'm not necessarily complaining but I've watched a lot of players get bluntly away with it all season.

they have to act like they're doing something about concussions. Im glad they're not calling it like they did in the preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone