LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Americans are too soft for rugby.

IDK, Americans like collision sports.

Rugby players don't drop their head or lead w/their face. Or if they do, they only do it once. They get the piss knocked out of them, and they learn. Square a guy up and wrap.

You strap 20 lbs of plastic and metal on someone and they play totally different. It's fun to watch, but CTE is no joke.

Rule changes likely won't be enough. I guess we'll see how the league adapts.
Originally posted by post_primitive:
IDK, Americans like collision sports.

Rugby players don't drop their head or lead w/their face. Or if they do, they only do it once. They get the piss knocked out of them, and they learn. Square a guy up and wrap.

You strap 20 lbs of plastic and metal on someone and they play totally different. It's fun to watch, but CTE is no joke.

Rule changes likely won't be enough. I guess we'll see how the league adapts.

I'm curious what it was like way back when football players wore leather helmets? I'm sure those players adjusted their tackling techniques, blocking, etc., to keep from continuously getting knocked silly.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Mar 29, 2018 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by niners94:
Rugby has it right. Less protection means less crazy hits. Get rid of pads and the hard thick helmet.

Getting rid of the helmet is asinine. Guys get hit in the head routinely that has nothing to do with tackling.

Sorry dude, but you're mistaken. Rugby has more split lips and broken noses, but far fewer spinal injuries and traumatic brain injuries.

It has everything to do with how you hit.

I played rugby at the college level. Left a lot of skin on the pitch, but never got concussed.

Lmao

In rugby do you have a wr running a 15 dig route with a safety waiting in the middle ready to decapitate him? No
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Wait, what? How do players get hit in the head when it has nothing to do with tackling? Passes bouncing off of heads?

Not everything hitting you in the head involves a 1v1 collision lmao

There are other players on the field, i cant believe you dont understand this
Lol now we have male cheerleaders!!! Lol keep it coming nfl
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners94:
Rugby has it right. Less protection means less crazy hits. Get rid of pads and the hard thick helmet.

Getting rid of the helmet is asinine. Guys get hit in the head routinely that has nothing to do with tackling.

Sorry dude, but you're mistaken. Rugby has more split lips and broken noses, but far fewer spinal injuries and traumatic brain injuries.

It has everything to do with how you hit.

I played rugby at the college level. Left a lot of skin on the pitch, but never got concussed.

Lmao

In rugby do you have a wr running a 15 dig route with a safety waiting in the middle ready to decapitate him? No

This. The fake toughness of rugby players is so irritating.
Americans are too soft for rugby.

this vid shows how the helmet should assist in head protection. It won't remove all injury, but many shown in vid wouldn't be quite as bad.
**NOT Rugby

Certainly some people would demand the removal of helmet from the game in order to reduce head injuries.. see above vid... and ask: REALLY?

It comes down to
1) coaching. Hard tackling is quite possible without using the head as a tackling implement - see any form of rugby/AFL when done right.
2) players doing the right thing.
Some of the above is players doing the wrong thing: horrific results.
Some are pure accidental in the play.
[ Edited by Who-is-Hayne on Mar 30, 2018 at 3:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Furlow:

Maybe the dumbest statement I've ever read on the Internet.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

This

A number of those hits were illegal, so I'm not sure it's the best example.

But I guess there are no WRs running dig routes, so rugby is a sport for wimps—so sayeth all the chubby Internet tough guys who have never stepped foot on the pitch.

Watch a World Cup sevens match. 14 minutes of dead sprinting with no break—everyone is built like an NFL linebacker and fast as hell. Tons of contact. Very few concussions by comparison.

Scale back the protective equipment, and there will be fewer spinals and TBI in football because players will play the game differently. Period.

I doubt that'll happen, but the league is going to have to figure something out. Almost every player eventually develops CTE. That isn't some minor concern a couple rule changes will fix.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

This

Sus agrees with you lol

Look, rugby is a physical sport, I'm not denying that. But it's not even close to the level of speed and violence of tackle football. The sheer number of injuries, particularly to the head, is clear evidence of that. And the rules of rugby are such that full speed collisions aren't as commonplace, especially away from the ball.

Rugby players who make fun of football players for "having to wear all that protective gear" or "not being tough" are morons. Fake tough guys.
Sus agrees with you lol

Look, rugby is a physical sport, I'm not denying that. But it's not even close to the level of speed and violence of tackle football. The sheer number of injuries, particularly to the head, is clear evidence of that. And the rules of rugby are such that full speed collisions aren't as commonplace, especially away from the ball.

Rugby players who make fun of football players for "having to wear all that protective gear" or "not being tough" are morons. Fake tough guys.

No one is making fun of football players. You turned this into a "my dad can beat up your dad" argument.

I am saying football equipment promotes spinal and traumatic brain injury. Rules aren't going to solve CTE.

There are huge collisions is rugby, but players hit differently because they aren't in a cage. Scaling back the cage to some extent will change the game—maybe not for the better—but in a way that will absolutely reduce head and spine trauma and mitigate CTE.

As I keep saying, I don't think it will happen. But the NFL is going to have to figure this issue out somehow.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Sus agrees with you lol

No one is making fun of football players. You turned this into a "my dad can beat up your dad" argument.

I am saying football equipment promotes spinal and traumatic brain injury. Rules aren't going to solve CTE.

There are huge collisions is rugby, but players hit differently because they aren't in a cage. Scaling back the cage to some extent will change the game—maybe not for the better—but in a way that will absolutely reduce head and spine trauma and mitigate CTE.

As I keep saying, I don't think it will happen. But the NFL is going to have to figure this issue out somehow.

Interjecting rugby into this discussion is the "my dad vs your dad" argument. Rugby not having as many injuries is irrelevant because it's not a comparable sport.
Interjecting rugby into this discussion is the "my dad vs your dad" argument. Rugby not having as many injuries is irrelevant because it's not a comparable sport.

ok dude.
Share 49ersWebzone