LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Shop 49ers game tickets

I feel like this rule is going to be a real headache.
This is getting ridiculous. I know head injuries are a big talking point now, but this is football.
We already see a ton of plays where helmet to helmet is called incorrectly. Now this can happen on any play AND has to be judged in real time AND can result in an ejection.
this is b******t. but blame the old school players suing the nfl.
another way the refs can manipulate the game
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
another way the refs can manipulate the game

This
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

I feel like this rule is going to be a real headache.

Don't helmets hit people all the time?
I mean lowering your shoulder to run Fwd will drop your head and you may run into someone with your helmet.

f**king dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Not surprising. The concussion issue is the nfl's biggest issue. It's real. They are terrified of somebody taking a big hit and being killed. They don't want anymore Ryan Shazier moments. That's why you see them embracing flag football so much harder now. Kick off's will be the next thing to go. Y'all better get used to it or watch another sport.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
very often, an offense player will lower his head when he knows he's about to be hit. If he hadn't lowered his head, the defender's helmet would've hit the body. Does this mean the offense player will be thrown out? Guessing, no.
It's been interesting rewatching games from the early 90s 49ers and seeing how much of a lack of lowering the helmet tackling there was. There was just something about the late 90s/00s NFL tackling that changed to "heat seeking, not looking up" style. NFL players need to rewatch those 80s and early 90s defenses to see how to form tackle correctly.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The end is near. RIP NFL
U have to lower your helmet to put it on, is that a penalty too?
Originally posted by captveg:
It's been interesting rewatching games from the early 90s 49ers and seeing how much of a lack of lowering the helmet tackling there was. There was just something about the late 90s/00s NFL tackling that changed to "heat seeking, not looking up" style. NFL players need to rewatch those 80s and early 90s defenses to see how to form tackle correctly.

This. I remember those games and games before going back into the '80s. Players just didn't tackle that way...didn't lower their helmets, didn't make heat-seeking/spearing type of tackles. Look at one of our team's all-time best players on D, Lott...he stuck guys but did it a lot with his shoulder and not spearing with his helmet. He was a master at timing the tackle just right, using leverage, and hitting guys hard with his shoulder and/or just wrapping up with force.
So RB's who finish are gonna get punished.
Originally posted by susweel:
The end is near. RIP NFL

Agreed
Share 49ersWebzone