There are 174 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Can someone show me the difference between lowering your shoulder and lowering your head? I mean I'm really waiting for the NFL refs who are already pretty blind ell me the difference in the pro game. These guys even determine what PI, holding or a catch is now we're asking them in real time to judge more nuance?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Can someone show me the difference between lowering your shoulder and lowering your head? I mean I'm really waiting for the NFL refs who are already pretty blind ell me the difference in the pro game. These guys even determine what PI, holding or a catch is now we're asking them in real time to judge more nuance?

You can lower your shoulder while still keeping your head up. You can't lower your head while keeping your head up.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame

No one knows. Guys on NFL radio asked if the Ryan Shazier hit was associated with this rule and they said no that play would not be a flag.

So per that you can lead with the crown of your helmet to hit someone in the body just not in the head?

Linemen use their head to head butt all the time. Is that going to be called?

NFL trying too hard not to be college football. They just need to do the same thing here with a targeting rule. IMO
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

You can lower your shoulder while still keeping your head up. You can't lower your head while keeping your head up.

I'd like to see this demonstrated, please because no one has defined "lowering your head." One MUST at an absolute basis make the height of a head lower along with shoulders to tackle. Spearing is different - using your head to spear someone with a helmet, I get that but "lower a head" is ridiculous.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Mar 28, 2018 at 12:12 PM ]
I'd like to see this demonstrated, please because no one has defined "lowering your head." One MUST at an absolute basis make the height of a head lower along with shoulders to tackle. Spearing is different - using your head to spear someone with a helmet, I get that but "lower a head" is ridiculous.

The rule is about lowering your head and leading with the crown of your helmet. That is pretty cut and dry.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Mar 28, 2018 at 12:20 PM ]
Maybe we will see more kinds of runs like in the Jim Brown and gale sayers area where tacklers go chest to chest and the ball carrier can also make better cuts because he won't be leaning forward with his head down to brace for the hit. So many ball carriers these days get tackled too soon because they lunges forward and to the ground to avoid a helmet to the knees or to the head.

Maybe the stiff arm and wrap tackle makes its way back.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
prolly will be gone by 2025 at the earliest

The NFL isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The "smash em in the mouth, 3 yards and a cloud of dust" coaches and players might be on the endangered list however.

The difference between the QBs haves and have-nots will be greatly magnified however. QBs matter more than ever. Pass rushers matter more than ever.

Teams and coaches that can't adjust won't be able to compete.

Beef up the CTE insurance. Beef up the NFL retirement program. And publish them and advertise them more to the public. I think that's *a* way to deal with the public. pr nightmare. But I agree, this rule gives franchise QB's and pass receivers an advantage.

The rule is about lowering your head and leading with the crown of your helmet. That is pretty cut and dry.

It's not pretty cut and dry at all. Here's the rule:

"It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent," reads the new rule. THere's nothing about "crown of your helmet" like at all.

It's not pretty cut and dry at all. Here's the rule:

"It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent," reads the new rule. THere's nothing about "crown of your helmet" like at all.

I stand corrected. They removed the 'crown of the helmet' wording because it was too narrow.

So they enacted a rule before they decided what it was? lol nfl
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Janitor:
So they enacted a rule before they decided what it was? lol nfl

Yeah they said they will talk to the coaches to figure out the wording of the rule. lol
Originally posted by susweel:
Hopefully one of these new football leagues will play real football and the NFL can go f**k itself.

If by real football you mean guys turning themselves into vegetables for $50,000 a year, not a chance.

They'll serve as a short term outlet for the bloodsport fetishists who've never hit anything harder than a couch cushion in their lives. That won't be enough to sustain it.

The NFL doesn't want anymore Shazier situations and I don't blame them one bit, especially in this era. How many parents saw that and said "yeah f**k that, junior you're gonna play something else!"

The people at the top are smart enough to grasp that either they will regulate themselves or the government will step in and do themselves.

Great post, and Shazier is just the latest. Seems like there is one of these massive types of injuries every season.
Originally posted by susweel:
Just play flag then dont call it tackle football. The game will die the way its headed.

There is no danger of that happening anytime soon.

All they are trying to do is remove the hits with the crown to prevent some of the more dangerous collisions and to protect defensive players like Shazier from themselves by incentivizing players to use proper tackling form.

This rule I am sure will be more finely tuned at the next league meetings in Atlanta once the NFL has gotten enough feedback on it.

When they are trying to stop pop warner and high schools are having a hard time fielding teams, where you think they gonna get players ? Also fans are not gonna keep watching a pussified version of nfl.
Share 49erswebzone