There are 239 users in the forums

What team will Foles be on THIS year?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What team will Foles be on THIS year?

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Foles has a history, it's called "champion." Because of his play success, he is now in the conversation for the Hall of Fame one day. I think that "back up" tag is old news, so yesterday morning.

I think you're way too into the moment. When Jeff Hostetler won the SB did that put him in the HOF conversation? Jeff Hostetler was never in any HOF conversation. Foles is a guy who caught fire at the right time, had a great 4 game run but there is no one that expects him to continue playing at this high a level long term.

In the moment? Or just doesnt understand football?

Ouch!

I am guilty as charged for being caught up in the moment a bit, and it is a bit premature to induct Foles into the HOF (But in my defense, I didn't say he would be in the hall of fame, I said he would be in the conversation). Of course it depends on what he does going forward. But he checked off an important box on his uphill climb: "SB MVP".

I know what I saw. In the Super Bowl, he made throws to every part of the field with accuracy, had maybe three bad throws. He was cool under pressure. He made prudent RPO choices. He had a touchdown reception, and won the MVP. He also was lethal in the win over the Vikings.

I don't think it is accurate to compare Foles's performance to Hostetler's. Hostetler was 20-32 for 222 yards and 1 TD, with 0 interceptions in a 20-19 victory over the Bills (the RB won the MVP). Hostetler is often lumped with the less respected SB winning QB's.

Foles was 28 of 43 for 373 yards and 3 TD's, with 1 interception (receiver bopped it), and a receiving TD, in a 41-33 victory over the Patriots (Foles won the MVP). It's just not an accurate comparison to Hostetler.

True, if he stumbles going forward, he could be Joe Flacco (who also won the SB MVP). But he could also be Kurt Warner who was 28 when he won his SB (Foles is 29). Based on his age, he has some time.

He's just getting started as a consistent starter. From what I saw, not many QB's in the game can do what he did. I think he will continue to play at that level. As with everything, time will tell.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Feb 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Jets.
After his performances in this post season, he's not going anywhere. From what I understand, he doesn't plan on playing that much longer. He's now a folk hero in Philly...why go anywhere else.
The reality is staying in Philly is the worst possible scenario for wentz as a player.

The moment he falters the eagles fans will tear him apart.

The conservative coaching move is the keep foles and trade wentz. Nobody will question the decision if foles sucks it up the next 5 years because he's already cemented himself a legend.

If wentz can't bring them a superbowl next year they will turn on him and the coach and run them both out of town.

Nobody questions if you role with foles who is a former pro bowler and superbowl mvp and it doesn't work out. Wentz is a nobody. If you trade foles and it doesn't pan out it instantly gets questioned. Even if wentz is a good qb it's now superbowl or bust.
It's a tough question.. But an early 2nd could give you a player to help you win another chip and that's super cheap. Maybe you draft another QB to develop ?
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
The reality is staying in Philly is the worst possible scenario for wentz as a player.

The conservative coaching move is the keep foles and trade wentz. Nobody will question the decision if foles sucks it up the next 5 years because he's already cemented himself a legend.

If wentz can't bring them a superbowl next year they will turn on him and the coach and run them both out of town.

Nobody questions if you role with foles who is a former pro bowler and superbowl mvp and it doesn't work out. Wentz is a nobody. If you trade foles and it doesn't pan out it instantly gets questioned. Even if wentz is a good qb it's now superbowl or bust.

Man where were you all season? Wentz was on his way to an mvp season before gettin hurt.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

Oh they damn sure will. Wentz looked like the league MVP until he got injured. Philly fans aren't not lost on who the man in town actually is. Foles is a loaner that came through when they needed him but people would absolutely riot if they dumped Wentz who looks like a star QB in the making for a journeyman who is best suited as a backup.

Foles was the guy who stepped up in the moment, Wentz is still the future and after all the decades they've waited for a championship, Pedersen doesn't need to worry about job security anytime soon.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:21 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
Jets.

I think they land Cousins...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Oh they damn sure will. Wentz looked like the league MVP until he got injured. Philly fans aren't not lost on who the man in town actually is. Foles is a loaner that came through when they needed him but people would absolutely riot if they dumped Wentz who looks like a star QB in the making for a journeyman who is best suited as a backup.

Foles was the guy who stepped up in the moment, Wentz is still the future and after all the decades they've waited for a championship, Pedersen doesn't need to worry about job security anytime soon.

The difference is you know foles can get it done. Wentz could wilt and fold easy under pressure.

Trading a 29 year old qb who just won the superbowl and has shown promise before, for a second year guy with no accolades is much more risky than the alternative.

Not saying it can't payoff but the backlash if it doesn't will be a lot higher than the alternative and the leash for performance will be much shorter.

They don't give awards for almost winning the mvp in the nfl or almost winning a superbowl.

In my mind it's really who gives you the better chance of winning the superbowl next year. Foles + multiple high draft picks or profile players in trade for wentz or wentz + potentially one or two high draft picks for foles.

Considering the unwavering playoff performances foles turned in and the wildcard in wentz you better be darn sure he's going to make the playoffs next year and win a few games and his knee will be fine.
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Feb 6, 2018 at 12:28 PM ]
  • dj43
Foles is more than just a guy who happened to catch fire at the right time. He did have a very good season with Kelly, and Pederson admitted he tailored the offense for Foles to include some of the stuff that worked with Kelly = Super Bowl. In the meantime, he did not succeed in other places where he and the offense did not mesh.

The point is, Foles, in the right offense can play well. That will not be missed when other teams consider whether or not they can use him.

So he will be a hot commodity between now and mid-March. In the meantime, Philly will be closely monitoring Wentz' recovery. Until/unless they are convinced Wentz will be field ready come September, Foles isn't going anywhere.

If Wentz is ready, and Pederson is willing to part with him, Philly will get some nice compensation, likely a 3rd/conditional 2nd.

I seriously doubt a team will give up a 1st or 2nd for Foles so I will go with the Eagles. He is on a reasonable contract for next year and gives them such tremendous insurance in case Wentz doesnt come back as quickly as they hope.
Philly. No reason to move him.
Gotta trade him on Madden
Originally posted by 49er4life:
They will keep Foles as the backup and start Wentz when he is ready.

Foles is now a football god in Philly and will die as one never having to start another game. He will make top backup money on his next contract and have a happy life. As for Wentz, now he is going to be expected to win a super bowl and anything less will be a disappointing career.

Edit: Anyone think there is a chance Foles retires?

No, backup QB is the best position in the league. He can hold a clipboard the next 6 years and make millions upon millions.
I would trade Foles for a 1st in a heartbeat if I were PHI.
Share 49ersWebzone