There are 245 users in the forums

What team will Foles be on THIS year?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What team will Foles be on THIS year?

Originally posted by Sourball:
It amazes me watching Vikings and Eagles plug-n-play these guys with success after watching the 49ers float out some of the worst NFL QB's since Garcia played. Sure there was Smith and Kap and now Jimmy G, but we've seen some real stinkers lining up behind center.

Much easier to plug in backup QBs when your OL can pass block for 3 full seconds.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
If you are the Eagles, you keep him as long as his contract lasts for. He is the best backup in the NFL and that is a great asset to have moving forward. With Wentz coming back from his ACL, there is no telling how long it takes him to get back to full strength, how he will look when he gets back, or how susceptible he will be to another tear. With Foles backing him up, you have no worry if Wentz needs more time or if his ACL tears again. But once Foles contract is up, i would expect him to move onto another team or Eagles will probably trade him midseason

Well, that's the safe thing. However by so doing, and Wentz stays healthy, then the value of Foles (to the Eagles) drops by 1/2 when we reach the halfway point next yr , er 2018. After that he becomes a FA and is worth nothing. Kind of like the BB and jimmyG story. He held onto him for half a yr but after that time he became a FA, so for the first 8 games he was great insurance. But JGs value dropped by half doing it at the last minute . If BB hadn't traded him to us he was a FA an hour or so later. Same deal with Foles, so why not during this offseason get what he is worth? And after his last 3 performances, all in the playoffs, Foles was stupendous. A team right now that has to have a FR QB and ther are 4-6 of them might just give part of a 6 pak for Foles....a pair of ones, a two and maybe a 3. Heck maybe even a 6 pak if a bidding war broke out for the MVP of the SB. But left until 8 games I the season that value is diminished by about a half. And the GM who has been accumulating talent at Philly, Rosenstein or Roseman(not sure) has done a bang up job on personnel picks. I could see him making Foles into a 6 pack man. Pair of ones, twos and threes. Do that and Philly becomes the dominant team in NFL for the next half dozen yrs, as long as Wentz doesn't come up injured. There's the hook. It is obvious BB went for security and insurance....kept Brady and kept JG for half a yr. but he had lost half his value from the off season. CLEVE supposedly offered BB two ones, and something, maybe a two. He ended up with only a 2nd, but had insurance for 8 games was JG worth 8 games insurances as opposed to two ones, two twos and two 3s? It could have come down to that in offseason with the CLEVE and JimmyG.

Incidentally, in addition to the 4-6 teams desperate for a QB, there are another 6-10 that should be trying to get a QB. So the market is quite large at the moment.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If you are the Eagles, you keep him as long as his contract lasts for. He is the best backup in the NFL and that is a great asset to have moving forward. With Wentz coming back from his ACL, there is no telling how long it takes him to get back to full strength, how he will look when he gets back, or how susceptible he will be to another tear. With Foles backing him up, you have no worry if Wentz needs more time or if his ACL tears again. But once Foles contract is up, i would expect him to move onto another team or Eagles will probably trade him midseason

Well, that's the safe thing. However by so doing, and Wentz stays healthy, then the value of Foles (to the Eagles) drops by 1/2 when we reach the halfway point next yr , er 2018. After that he becomes a FA and is worth nothing. Kind of like the BB and jimmyG story. He held onto him for half a yr but after that time he became a FA, so for the first 8 games he was great insurance. But JGs value dropped by half doing it at the last minute . If BB hadn't traded him to us he was a FA an hour or so later. Same deal with Foles, so why not during this offseason get what he is worth? And after his last 3 performances, all in the playoffs, Foles was stupendous. A team right now that has to have a FR QB and ther are 4-6 of them might just give part of a 6 pak for Foles....a pair of ones, a two and maybe a 3. Heck maybe even a 6 pak if a bidding war broke out for the MVP of the SB. But left until 8 games I the season that value is diminished by about a half. And the GM who has been accumulating talent at Philly, Rosenstein or Roseman(not sure) has done a bang up job on personnel picks. I could see him making Foles into a 6 pack man. Pair of ones, twos and threes. Do that and Philly becomes the dominant team in NFL for the next half dozen yrs, as long as Wentz doesn't come up injured. There's the hook. It is obvious BB went for security and insurance....kept Brady and kept JG for half a yr. but he had lost half his value from the off season. CLEVE supposedly offered BB two ones, and something, maybe a two. He ended up with only a 2nd, but had insurance for 8 games was JG worth 8 games insurances as opposed to two ones, two twos and two 3s? It could have come down to that in offseason with the CLEVE and JimmyG.

Incidentally, in addition to the 4-6 teams desperate for a QB, there are another 6-10 that should be trying to get a QB. So the market is quite large at the moment.

Eagles will be SB contenders next year. Foles gives them security if Wentz cant start the season or if he goes down again

SB> draft picks
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by defenderDX:
What's his current contract situation?

Signed through 2018. If they trade him after June 1st they'd have a $4m cap savings.
Eagles should keep him until they know Wentz is back to form, then trade him at the deadline to someone desperate.
If he gets traded I doubt a 1st rounder plus additional picks is included. I can see a package of 2nd thru 4 the round picks. No way they get 6 draft picks for Foles.

I agree that there should be 10 teams inquiring about him. I always liked him, and even during his time as a Ram where everyone looked like garbage with Fischer there. I can see a team picking at the end of the first round considering giving up that pick. That could be the Jags, Bills, Steelers ( Roethlisberger pending), Saints (Brees replacement maybe?), or maybe the Patriots since they lost JimmyG. Otherwise I can see the Dolphins, Cardinals, Ravens, Chargers, Giants, Cleveland, Broncos, and Jets. That is a list of 13 teams with 10 being very realistic options and 3 wild ones.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Iggles. Hold on to him until Wentz is fully recovered and then flip him at/before the trade deadline, especially if a team has a starter go down and they become desperate, similar to how they traded Bradford away. I'd expect them to draft a QB in a few months and have that be their eventual backup after they trade Foles.

this
I say he will stay with the Eagles
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Iggles. Hold on to him until Wentz is fully recovered and then flip him at/before the trade deadline, especially if a team has a starter go down and they become desperate, similar to how they traded Bradford away. I'd expect them to draft a QB in a few months and have that be their eventual backup after they trade Foles.

I agree with this, as it accomplishes two thing. Insurance to make sure Wentz is recovered, and maximizing the desperation of a team with an injured QB to garner a higher pick.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Foles ain't worth much, history has proven back ups can get hot but usually return to meh status.

Foles' trade value will never be higher than over the next few months. That trade value drops during the season as a team gets close to the trade deadline and teams know that the Eagles have to trade him or get nothing in return. The problem for the Eagles is that Wentz might not be back until around the middle of this upcoming season. So, do you trade him when his value is at his highest but increase the likelihood of struggling for the first half of the upcoming season, or do you sacrifice the trade value for the sake of competing your best this upcoming season.

If some other scrub can get the Eagle to 4-4 in the first eight games vs. Foles getting them to 6-2, do you just say the hell with it and trade Foles now? IMO, I think you have to do your best to compete NOW and not constantly look at future seasons when you have something special right now. Dropping a round in trade value probably isn't worth dropping two or more games in the first half of the season.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
nm
nm
[ Edited by jcs on Feb 5, 2018 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Eagles will be SB contenders next year. Foles gives them security if Wentz cant start the season or if he goes down again

SB> draft picks

Honestly

The NFC is wide open, especially since the Seahawks dominance is over.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Poster(s) calling Foles HOF worthy is hilarious. Good/solid player that fits and knows that system well, surrounded by a great team.

The MVP of this Super Bowl was Coach Peterson. The balls on that guy! He made it exciting.
I didn't say "HOF worthy." I said "in the conversation" going forward. SB MVP get's you that. BYW, Peterson didn't execute the offense, and Foles had a role in the play calling via the RPO.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by robniner:
And with all these QB openings, the opportunity presents itself if Foles is starter material again......his confidence is on an all-time high and his stock level is through the roof

Eagles could not have asked for a more perfect situation. Scary thought that their team is so good and next year they get wentz back, plus whatever picks they get for foles.

Who's to say Wentz could have gotten them the championship??

Wentz is the reason why the Eagles is where they are in the first place. He deserves the credit. Foles played the type of football he has never played before, and, it paid off.
Share 49ersWebzone