LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 360 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
Here is the best review of him that i have found:
Why all of the Blaine Gabbert Hype?

I'd rather have a quarterback who scans the field and stays in the pocket. This guy reminds me of a bigger, more athletic Alex Smith. He is always leaving the pocket, he gives it about 1.5 seconds before he takes off.
I'm not sure what to think of this guy. The more film I watch the more questions I have. He has a strong arm and is accurate at times. But he will make some absolutely crazy decisions at times that just kill you. Plus he comes from the shotgun spread offense. I think there is a lot to like. And there is a lot to scare you IMO. There is high boom and high bust potential with this guy. It could go either way.

If somebody picks him before #7 or trades up to before that point IMO they are making a mistake on far from a sure thing. If he should fall to #7 and you don't have to trade up I could understand why the 49ers might want to do it. I wouldn't trade up for him though. Too many question marks and shaky decisions and far from a finished product. I do see a quick release and a strong arm though. So I do see what some scouts are seeing. His decision making can be bad at times and he can have a funny side arm release at times. But that doesn't effect Rivers so who knows if it's really a problem.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
I think this guy has sky rocketed the most since college football ended. I've seen him go #1 overall in a couple mocks out there. I just don't know much about him so I'll reserve any opinion on him until I see some film.

Anyways here is a scouting report from cbssportsline.com (use to be nfldraftscout)
Accuracy: Regularly shows the ability to place the ball on his target's numbers, though most of his best throws came within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage because of the Missouri spread offense. Throws darts to either side of the field on short timing routes and passes between the hashes. Gives his receivers a chance to make a play after the catch on crossing routes, leading them perfectly when he's comfortable in the pocket. Inconsistent throwing outside the hashes, however, making some fantastic throws on out routes and sailing many others above the head of open receivers or coming up short on touch throws over the top. Also inconsistent on short throws when under pressure.

Arm Strength: Has a solid NFL arm and throws a tight spiral, giving him the capability to stretch the field horizontally and vertically. Threads the ball between the corner and safety against cover-two and needles the ball through tight windows over the middle. Flashes nice touch on seam throws to the tight end. Needs to throttle down a bit more consistently; will overthrow passes in close proximity and sail sideline patterns.

Setup/Release: Looks the part of a pocket passer, standing tall in the pocket. Usually has a quick release, almost whipping the ball out. Winds up and double-clutches on occasion, but still releases the ball quickly. Completes downfield passes with traffic around him, but will short-arm throws and panic with pressure coming straight at him. Generally balanced, sometimes throwing from his back foot. Pats the ball to keep rhythm on long throws. Does not feel backside pressure well. Can get happy feet against a strong defense, though he will re-set his feet and deliver at times. Almost always in the shotgun formation, must master the traditional snap from center. When not taking one step back and firing a short throw, gets a bit long with his final drop step making it difficult to transition back forward and leaving him susceptible to pass rush.

Reading Defenses: Will take time to transition to the NFL because he runs the typical spread offense. Only reads one receiver on many plays, or even half of one side of the field. Stares down receivers and defenders read him easily. Does not look for secondary receivers, tends to take off instead. Fails to see blitzes coming consistently, even when they aren't disguised.

On the Move: Nice athlete for a quarterback his size, makes plays outside the pocket and able to pick up more than a first down on the run. Shows some elusiveness in the pocket, but chooses to run outside rather than step up to find a receiver. Falls forward for first downs, but must learn how to push the pile on sneaks. Willing to throw the ball away if nothing is available. Good mobility outside the pocket, but gets inconsistent in his accuracy and makes some poor decisions because he gets impatient. Is not overly elusive, will not escape NFL pockets and tackles as easily as he is able to do in college. Needs to learn how to slide.

Intangibles: Respected leader in the locker room. Has the confidence to win over the huddle. Willing to put in the time in the film room to master the offense. Very competitive, gives full effort on the field. Played only five games as a high school senior because of foot and shoulder injuries.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes no.1 to Carolina. I think the success of Bradford (who played mostly from shotgun in college) can help ease those worries, plus - there is no elite QB in the draft, and Panthers are desperate for one. I do think, that he is not a top 10 talent. His position (and lack of top 10 talent at that position) will get him drafted early.

I personally won't mind if he goes high up. He doesn't fit WCO and I doubt Harbaugh drafts him.
I'm on this bandwagon. I hope he's there for us at 7
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

Not me

I'm hoping for CB,but I wouldn't be surprised if we took him if he last to 7... I just think the Card or Bills will select him before we get that chance..

The more I look at the top of the draft, the more I see Gabbert falling to us, which means the first 7 picks might look something like this:

1.) Panthers - Nick Fairley (or Patrick Peterson)
2.) Broncos - Patrick Peterson (or Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers)
3.) Bills - Da'Quan Bowers (or Marcell Dareus)
4.) Bengals - A.J. Green (or Da'Quan Bowers)
5.) Cardinals - Von Miller (or Robert Quinn)
6.) Browns - Robert Quinn (or Dareus, Green or Bowers)
7.) 49ers - Blaine Gabbert (or trade down)

So when it's all said and done, I think we'll have our choice of the top QB in the draft, or the option to trade down with the Redskins, Vikings or Dolphins. In the end, I think JH will choose to select and develop a potential franchise QB in Gabbert.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2011 at 14:24:40 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

The more I look at the top of the draft, the more I see Gabbert falling to us, which means the first 7 picks might look something like this:

5.) Browns - Robert Quinn (or Dareus, Green or Bowers)
6.) Cardinals - Von Miller (or Robert Quinn)

So when it's all said and done, I think we'll have our choice of the top QB in the draft, or the option to trade down with the Redskins, Vikings or Dolphins. In the end, I think JH will choose to select and develop a potential franchise QB in Gabbert.

I hope we get Von Miller and plus AZ picks 5th you might wanna check your draft order bud.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

I hope we get Von Miller and plus AZ picks 5th you might wanna check your draft order bud.

Just a mistake on my part; fixed now.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2011 at 14:25:44 ]
not worth a number 7 maybe if we traded with san diego at 17 and they gave us vincent jackson and at least a 3rd pick

Originally posted by Pintor63:
not worth a number 7 maybe if we traded with san diego at 17 and they gave us vincent jackson and at least a 3rd pick

QBs are always valued higher than their true worth (especially ones with size/arm strength/mobility/accuracy), so #7 is not too high for someone like Gabbert. If this is the route we went, I would trust Harbaugh to not only work with Gabbert and show him how to be an NFL QB, but to create and offense that leverages his very obvious skills and talents (much like he did with Luck at Stanford, who was rated behind Gabbert coming out of high school).

My preference would be to go pass rush here, but if Gabbert is here, I have no problem taking him.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Just a mistake on my part; fixed now.

IMO NO QB is worth a 1st round grade but yet again I ain't no expert.

QBs are always valued higher than their true worth (especially ones with size/arm strength/mobility/accuracy), so #7 is not too high for someone like Gabbert. If this is the route we went, I would trust Harbaugh to not only work with Gabbert and show him how to be an NFL QB, but to create and offense that leverages his very obvious skills and talents (much like he did with Luck at Stanford, who was rated behind Gabbert coming out of high school).

My preference would be to go pass rush here, but if Gabbert is here, I have no problem taking him.

This sums it up very well. I agree with wanting pass rush too, but if Gabbert is available, I think we have to take him. Best chance for franchise QB.

What do you like about Gabbert? And if he maxes out his potential who would you compare him to?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
Here is the best review of him that i have found:
Why all of the Blaine Gabbert Hype?

I'd rather have a quarterback who scans the field and stays in the pocket. This guy reminds me of a bigger, more athletic Alex Smith. He is always leaving the pocket, he gives it about 1.5 seconds before he takes off.

So is that a good or a bad thing?
Share 49ersWebzone