LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I am a Missouri alum and I have seen about 12-14 Gabbert games over the past two years. I live in DC so I couldn't see every game. He's a little maddening. He looks the part and can make all the throws for sure. But there's something missing with him. This is not scientific at all and just based on my own "gut" but I have to tell you was so completely shocked when Gabbert shot up the QB charts to be the number one the draft. To be fair, he was a pro style QB shoved into a spread offense and with the proper coaching he will be fine. It's just up to whoever gets him to give him that coaching.

FYI, the comparisons to Alex Smith are effing ridiculous.
imo Gabbert is the best QB in this draft, but im not sure hes the answer to our longterm problems at QB.

if we take a QB early, take him. but i still think we need to sign or trade for a vet, and then take another QB next year. (hopefully Luck).
Originally posted by Owens81Owns:
This guy has gotten a boost in stock due to arm strength and Todd McShay on his nuts. His accuracy, footwork, and throwing mechanics are all 5th round material. But yet, he has an amazing arm and all these internet scouts think this guy is the next coming.

I predict a Jevan Snead-type fall for him. The more the teams evaluate the tape, they'll see that he is all arm and nothing else. He'll be very lucky to have a Jay Cutler-like career.

His accuracy on short to medium throws is excellent, did you see the Insight Bowl, he was a beast (although yes, he was picked off towards the end)?

I can't figure out how you can term his accuracy 5th round... maybe you were watching the Huskies play and got a little confused.

BTW it's just not 'Internet scouts', it's NFL scouts too who value him so highly - perhaps they think he is both accurate AND has a strong arm?
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
Originally posted by Papa_bear_21:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
gabbert reminds me of alex smith in how the way he leaves after his jr yr to cash out on a weak qb draft class, also coming out of the spread

Err, didn't spread QB Sam Bradford do just the same? I suppose you would have picked Clauson over Bradford using that logic?

Uh... Sam Bradford was a 70% thrower as a redshirt freshman. Not really the same boat if you ask me.

I think you missed the point - FredFlinstone was using the theory that because Gabbert played in the spread in college he was going to end up a bust like Alex.
Your 70% point is valid, however it doesn't ad any ammo to the point that spread QBs can't make it in the NFL.
Gabbert may or may not become a decent pro - but it will be down to him and not down to the offense he ran in college.

saying he reminds me of someone doesnt say hes gonna end up being a bust coming out of a spread. gabbert can get drafted by a team that knows how to develop a qb and not go through the same bs alex smith had to go through his time here and become a star. me personally i think we cannot afford to make a mistake and choose a qb 7th overall when this draft class of qb is not the best, who here knew who blaine gabbert was other than missouri fans or fans of other teams in his conference??? i had no clue who alex smith was in college until i heard he was coming out his jr yr when it was just him and rodgers competing for the top qb position, and thats why i believe smith came out because he couldve been the top pick in a weak qb draft class the same thing gabbert is doing now.
Originally posted by GetoThunderFist:
I am a Missouri alum and I have seen about 12-14 Gabbert games over the past two years. I live in DC so I couldn't see every game. He's a little maddening. He looks the part and can make all the throws for sure. But there's something missing with him. This is not scientific at all and just based on my own "gut" but I have to tell you was so completely shocked when Gabbert shot up the QB charts to be the number one the draft. To be fair, he was a pro style QB shoved into a spread offense and with the proper coaching he will be fine. It's just up to whoever gets him to give him that coaching.

I agree. He is maddening. He can make all the throws. But he also makes some real bizarre decisions. I really don't see him as a #1 pick. Although somebody may pick him in the top 5. IMO he is overrated at this point.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I agree. He is maddening. He can make all the throws. But he also makes some real bizarre decisions. I really don't see him as a #1 pick. Although somebody may pick him in the top 5. IMO he is overrated at this point.

I don't buy anything into accuracy on QB's who primarily display themselves to be a 1st read of presnap read QB. I have not seen him throw to second or third reads often enough and THAT is where true accuracy and footwork is displayed. I don't want another Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I don't buy anything into accuracy on QB's who primarily display themselves to be a 1st read of presnap read QB. I have not seen him throw to second or third reads often enough and THAT is where true accuracy and footwork is displayed. I don't want another Alex Smith.

There is very high bust potential on this guy IMO. I don't know what people are seeing when they say #1 overall or top 5? What do they like? 6'5" 240 lbs? I don't see it in his game. He can look fantastic. And he can look very average. He has the tools to be great. I get that part. But I just don't see it consistently.

There is very high bust potential on this guy IMO. I don't know what people are seeing when they say #1 overall or top 5? What do they like? 6'5" 240 lbs? I don't see it in his game. He can look fantastic. And he can look very average. He has the tools to be great. I get that part. But I just don't see it consistently.

He hasn't even displayed the capabilities of being able to move laterally (agility).

He hasn't even displayed the capabilities of being able to move laterally (agility).

His throws can be pretty wild. I wouldn't pick him in the top 10. But somebody will.
The more i watch this kid, the more i want to stab my own eyes out.

Things he does that shows he sucks:

-He's a pre-snap first read qb only. Meaning, he makes up his mind of who he's throwing to before the ball is hiked and it's going to only that read unless he's flushed out of the pocket. I've yet to see a single play where he sits in the pocket and works through his progressions.

-Clumsy in the pocket footwork. Bounces around way to much. Looks like maybe he hasn't grown into his body yet. Kinda like Gumby.

-Perhaps the worst awareness i've seen from a qb in a long time. If he is unable to get the ball out to his first and only read, he immediate rolls out of the pocket and chucks it inaccurately deep. Why not step up in the pocket Blaine? WHY!!!??? It's maddening to watch this.

-His accuracy is woeful, at best. Take out those 20 wr bubble screens he throws a game and this guy would be lucky as hell to complete 20% of his passes.

-Too often d lineman are getting their hands on the ball. I feel like i'm watching alex smith there's so many batted balls. This happens when you don't use your throwing lanes. Hell, how can he use throwing lanes if he's locked in on only his first read.

-Touch. He is like a cutler/kyle boller mix. In his mind, the idea is to throw it as hard as he can with as little touch as possible. It's maddening.

Look. I get this kid has a cannon. I do. He can throw the ball all over the field all day long. Great. Unfortunately when he's asked to throw the 20yd out from the opposite hash that few qbs can make, he'll throw it 23yds to the trailing db because he's so inaccurate. Big arm and big size are great but this kid is a lot like Jim Drunkenmiller IMO.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
The more i watch this kid, the more i want to stab my own eyes out.

Things he does that shows he sucks:

-He's a pre-snap first read qb only. Meaning, he makes up his mind of who he's throwing to before the ball is hiked and it's going to only that read unless he's flushed out of the pocket. I've yet to see a single play where he sits in the pocket and works through his progressions.

-Clumsy in the pocket footwork. Bounces around way to much. Looks like maybe he hasn't grown into his body yet. Kinda like Gumby.

-Perhaps the worst awareness i've seen from a qb in a long time. If he is unable to get the ball out to his first and only read, he immediate rolls out of the pocket and chucks it inaccurately deep. Why not step up in the pocket Blaine? WHY!!!??? It's maddening to watch this.

-His accuracy is woeful, at best. Take out those 20 wr bubble screens he throws a game and this guy would be lucky as hell to complete 20% of his passes.

-Too often d lineman are getting their hands on the ball. I feel like i'm watching alex smith there's so many batted balls. This happens when you don't use your throwing lanes. Hell, how can he use throwing lanes if he's locked in on only his first read.

-Touch. He is like a cutler/kyle boller mix. In his mind, the idea is to throw it as hard as he can with as little touch as possible. It's maddening.

Look. I get this kid has a cannon. I do. He can throw the ball all over the field all day long. Great. Unfortunately when he's asked to throw the 20yd out from the opposite hash that few qbs can make, he'll throw it 23yds to the trailing db because he's so inaccurate. Big arm and big size are great but this kid is a lot like Jim Drunkenmiller IMO.

Huge bust factor and way overrated I agree.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
now i am no expert, but i watched the long reel vs illinois. i think it showed every throw. I didnt see anything special. Ran quite a few times when he should have just sat in the pocket. overthrew people a little too much. not too light on his feet. He does have an arm though I just dont see the big deal, if someone can explain why he should be our pick please do so.
no thanks.
Thoughts on gabbert up until two days ago: absolute waste of a pick.

Thoughts this morning after some more film review: almost the same, but I'm starting to think he miiiiggghhhtttttt fit with harbaughs west coast system. Playing under center is still a HUGE question, but his accuracy seems to be from 5-20 yards which is where most of his routes would be. Still, number 7 overall is a huge reach for him regardless of demand. Maybe towards the end of the first, given he falls that far, which he doesn't. I still don't like the pick.
Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
Thoughts on gabbert up until two days ago: absolute waste of a pick.

Thoughts this morning after some more film review: almost the same, but I'm starting to think he miiiiggghhhtttttt fit with harbaughs west coast system. Playing under center is still a HUGE question, but his accuracy seems to be from 5-20 yards which is where most of his routes would be. Still, number 7 overall is a huge reach for him regardless of demand. Maybe towards the end of the first, given he falls that far, which he doesn't. I still don't like the pick.

There's no way he gets past the Skins at #10. But will probably not make it that far.
Share 49ersWebzone