LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Blaine Gabbert Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Chief
  • Veteran
2nd round and I will get on the wagon.... though he won't last that long.
[ Edited by Chief on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM ]
I'm well on board, however I think Zona could take him at #5 making it a moot point.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Where is the accuracy with this guy? Plus he's a system QB. Also the athleticism isn't that great. Why all the hype? Because he's 6'5" 240 lbs. in a poor QB draft?...

Poor QB draft? That was 2005.

Cam Newton
Ryan Mallett
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker

That's four potential first rounders.

Also why are you knocking Gabbert's accuracy? He completed 63% last year as well as 71% against both Oklahoma and Iowa. Are you aware Rivals.com had him when he came out of high school as the #1 pro-style QB in the nation and a five-star recruit? The 'hype' has been there for years.

I want "players" not hype...

Gabbert isnt anything special eberyone maybe late first hell no at 7 though
Kiper already has him coming off his board at #5. Ridicule Kips all you want that does say a lot.
Blaine or Mallet!!!! Lets get it done Jimmy!!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Kiper already has him coming off his board at #5. Ridicule Kips all you want that does say a lot.

I just saw him having Gabbert going 3rd to Buffalo
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Lol @ everyone saying 2nd round....

The dude won't be there outside the Top 10.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by dlance:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

lol..you read defenses in the spread dude

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.

I hope you're right! That way the 49ers, picking at 7, won't have the opportunity to make that mistake....

You are far too intelligent to speak so absolutely on this. C'mon now...

Well I don't think there is a QB worthy of the #7 pick in this draft (unless Luck declares last minute) and I'm just way down on Gabbert. I don't think he's going to make it in the NFL at all.

No to Gabbert. A spread QB does require to make reads but it's all on presnap mismatches that he's reading. Even in the highlights, almost every throw appears to be to the first read (mismatch). I don't think I saw him go through any progressions.

Pro: he has the arm and footwork

Con: 1st read throws and he appears to be "Alex Smith" mobile more than a "shift in the pocket" mobile.

Hell no! It's like Alex Smith #2.

Also, regarding his accuracy. In the spread offense, his accuracy should be better as he's required to mainly throw on his first read which makes it easier. It gets extremely difficult to go through progressions after the snap and throw it quick enough and accurate as is required by a pro style offense. Alex had this issue. His accuracy plummeted when he was required to quickly plant and throw to a secondary receiver.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Lol @ everyone saying 2nd round....

The dude won't be there outside the Top 10.

Yah, he will be gone early.

Anyone Harbaugh takes that is a QB I will have faith in.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Where is the accuracy with this guy? Plus he's a system QB. Also the athleticism isn't that great. Why all the hype? Because he's 6'5" 240 lbs. in a poor QB draft?...

Cam Newton
Ryan Mallett
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker

Also why are you knocking Gabbert's accuracy? He completed 63% last year as well as 71% against both Oklahoma and Iowa. Are you aware Rivals.com had him when he came out of high school as the #1 pro-style QB in the nation and a five-star recruit? The 'hype' has been there for years.

What's so special about him? I don't see the accuracy.

Cam Newton
Ryan Mallett
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker

Locker!
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Cam Newton
Ryan Mallett
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker

You should follow him closer. He's one of the more accurate passers in the draft. There is a huge reason his stock is rising big time. I wouldn't be surprised if he went 1st overall to Carolina.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by dlance:
Blaine Gabbert has a good arm. he can run. he has nice tools for playing Qb in the NFL. what worries me about him is he never was asked to read the defense like he will need to in the NFL. Because he is in the spread He dosn't have read the defenses in the spread. He reads One WR or Half the Defenses, and YES that is what Alex Smith did in collage too. can he adjust to a pro style???

lol..you read defenses in the spread dude

just because you're in the spread doesn't mean you completely not pay attention to defensive formations

Yes but its different reads. I played in a spread offense for a 4A state championship contending high school, and I can tell you first hand that the reads and progressions of a spread offense are very basic

im very familiar w/ a spread offense myself and i can tell you that i read plenty of defenses...you're not a qb if you don't read the defense...regardless of what formation you play in...im still laughing at the out of shape stuff though...theres a reason this guy is going to be a top 5 pick.

I hope you're right! That way the 49ers, picking at 7, won't have the opportunity to make that mistake....

You are far too intelligent to speak so absolutely on this. C'mon now...

Well I don't think there is a QB worthy of the #7 pick in this draft (unless Luck declares last minute) and I'm just way down on Gabbert. I don't think he's going to make it in the NFL at all.

No to Gabbert. A spread QB does require to make reads but it's all on presnap mismatches that he's reading. Even in the highlights, almost every throw appears to be to the first read (mismatch). I don't think I saw him go through any progressions.

Pro: he has the arm and footwork

Con: 1st read throws and he appears to be "Alex Smith" mobile more than a "shift in the pocket" mobile.

Hell no! It's like Alex Smith #2.

Also, regarding his accuracy. In the spread offense, his accuracy should be better as he's required to mainly throw on his first read which makes it easier. It gets extremely difficult to go through progressions after the snap and throw it quick enough and accurate as is required by a pro style offense. Alex had this issue. His accuracy plummeted when he was required to quickly plant and throw to a secondary receiver.

THIS! Thank you sir. This is the only downfall w/ him in my opinion. Not his accuracy, but his overall discipline and mindset of being locked into his first read. The talent is there though, and I have faith that Roman can work that out w/ him...him and Harbaugh have what it takes to make Gabbert an elite QB in my opinion.

Cam Newton
Ryan Mallett
Blaine Gabbert
Jake Locker

You should follow him closer. He's one of the more accurate passers in the draft. There is a huge reason his stock is rising big time. I wouldn't be surprised if he went 1st overall to Carolina.

I've watched him. I don't see the accuracy. Even if you watch his highlights he doesn't even look accurate there.
Here is the best review of him that i have found:
Why all of the Blaine Gabbert Hype?
Share 49ersWebzone